Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

warhead roll cage

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 04:17 PM
J@son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warhead roll cage

PLEASE HLP!!!!!!!! IS THERE A ROLL CAGE FOR THE WARHEAD YET???
TAHNK YOU
Old 12-02-2006, 04:34 PM
JFACKY

Default RE: warhead roll cage

Not to my knowledge, other than the one that comes with it.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLFN0&P=7
Old 12-02-2006, 05:01 PM
turtok187

hey, why not do it yourself!
Its not a real Cage, but it holds and I "hardened" all my bodies with this construction!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18939.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	570509  
Old 12-02-2006, 09:23 PM
J@son

Thank you for the quick response. I will keep looking until someone comes up with it. Thanks again for your help.
Jason
Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM
koolaid_89

I just emailed www.rollcagecity.com and requested they make a cage for us. I also asked them to make it attach in a way that it would strengthen the frame in the front and rear where the bulkheads attach. I have tweaked frame twice times now during a bad cartwheel and once during a bad endo. I also asked them to make it where the body post would not break as easy. They make a good looking cage for most of the popular trucks so mabey they will come out with one for the Warhead soon. Koolaid
Old 02-06-2007, 11:49 PM
koolaid_89

Got a reply from Roll Cage City and they said that it would be many months before they had one, so I just finished making my own. Haven't primed and painted yet but heve tried it out and its real tough... took a lot of abuse. Tell me what else it needs its my first one and I need to build 2 more. I used a small wire welder with flux core wire on this one and the welds dont look too good but they held.. Im gonna use my big wire welder with gas on the next ones. Check the pics in my gallery...Koolaid

Name:	Yw68315.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	615568  
Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 AM
sarroopoo

Roll Cage looks good, could you take some pictures of the cage itself, particularly how its mounted to your truck? So you used a mig welder I take it (based on wire feed, flux core) how easy did that work out for you? would brazing it work as well? If you were to change to a different body would it fit on top of the roll cage, or would you have to redesign? And finally, what material did you make it out of, and where can it be purchased?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:37 AM
koolaid_89

Yea i will take some more and get in my gallery. I used 1/4 inch round. The wire welder worked fine...just didnt like the flux wire...My big one with gas will make a lot better looking bead. Brazing mignt work, if you have access to stick welder it would work better. As for the top it could be made any way u wanted all the strength is in the bottom of the cage. It mounts to the bottom two screws that hold the shock towers to the bulk head, I just put longer screws in. Its a prototype but like i said I have to make 2 more for my other 2 Warheads thanks for the reply Koolaid

Name:	Vt56625.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	615589  
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 AM
sarroopoo

I may be attempting something similar soon, I have access to stick, but I suck at it. I can mig if it proves to be necessary, but I have the ability to braze at home, which is why i was curious about that. Yeah, flux core usually makes a pretty crappy weld, the welder with argon will make better welds, but judging by the picture, those welds don't look too bad. Congrats.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 AM
koolaid_89

Ok got more pics for ya...How do i get them in my message and not just in my gallery?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:57 AM
koolaid_89

lol the only reason they dont look bad is because I burnt up several rocks and nearly a Dremmel fixing them LOL
Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 AM
sarroopoo

No idea on how to upload to the forum (have never done that) but the cage looks great, thanks for the extra pictures.
And on the several rocks, I guess thats the price to pay for vanity, lol

Edit:: I think i just found how to upload pictures.
Click to edit your post, and near the bottom there is a link that says "Upload More Files?"
Old 02-07-2007, 01:06 AM
koolaid_89

As you can see in the pictures I need to pinch the front of the cage together more so it will fit in the body better. I raised the front body mount one hole from all the way up and the back is 2 hole from max. Fixing the front of the cage should make both mounts the same. We put it through some bad stuff like purposly braking during a double and landing right on the lid and some major endos and all we broke was first a CV joint and then we stripped out the steering servo horn. Im waiting on an order from tower and it will have some aluminum horns for me. Does anybody know what the best thing is for my CV's? I read that someone converted back to dogbones and also someone had a better fix for the pins in the CV's which ever is better I need to know.....Thanks Koolaid
Old 02-07-2007, 01:13 AM
sarroopoo

Ive heard of the better pins, they are from [link=http://www.mcmaster.com/]Mc Master-Carr[/link] item # 91595A116. You push out the old soft pins, then push these in using either a vice or an arbor press. one last question about the cage, about how much stock did you wind up using for it?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:22 AM
koolaid_89

I bought a whole stick thinking it would be enough for all 3 but i think i used nearly 11 feet and 4 inches of 1/8x 1/2 strap.

The sides are 17"long
Its 5" wide
The ends that go down to the flat metal are 3" each
the bottom pieces are 12 1/2"
the pieces in the botom are 6" bent into a 90 to form the braces
The door pieces are 9 1/2"
and the top two between the doors 3" each

I think that comes out to 9.8 feet or so but there is some waste

Told my wife all i need is a vat so i could Chrome It lol......yea right paint will work fine lol

I wanted to use aluminum but I figured I needed a tig welder to do that right. Man have you priced a tig lately? about $3500, kinda hard to buy when you have a Miller 210 mig in the barn.. lol Got to checking around on the net and there is a lot of 1/4 or 3/16 cold roll cages for other trucks. I dont think this is cold roll I just told the guy I wanted a 20 foot stick of 1/4 round and the flat and I left. Its real strong, Im pretty big and I couldnt twist it when got finished
Old 02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
sarroopoo

I have access to a tig, just don't know how to use it, lol. you don't have to have a tig to weld aluminum, it is best, but not necessary. To mig aluminum you have to change your spool over to an aluminum spool, and play with the amp/feed rates until you have it right, all in all, a pain in the butt. I think you have hot rolled steel, but it should work out fine anyway. I'm actually planning on learning how to tig weld very soon, so an aluminum frame may have to be one of my projects, lol.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:52 AM
koolaid_89

When I bought my mig the Miller people were puting on a show of all of there stuff. They had a spool gun that would work on my welder and man it would weld beautiful. The spool gun works great and eliminates the push pull setup that is needed for the soft aluminum wire. Gun is about $500 and not sure how much an 100% argon regulator is but anyway its too much when all I would use it for would be something like this. Pretty sure I have less than $50 dollars in this cage. CHeap and Affective. LOL
Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 AM
sarroopoo

LOL, I understand, I'm planning on making this at my old high school shop (still go there everyday to volunteer with our robotics program) where we have all of the welding setups, we have a tig, stick, oxyacetylene, and 2 migs (1 set up for steel, 1 for aluminum) I will most likely be using old stock that has been sitting there for around 50 or so years, lol. Now to find time to fit it into the schedule while I'm there, probably not going to happen, but I can dream can't I?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 AM
koolaid_89

Yea I understand I farm and its time to get started for the year, fixing to get real busy. This cage only took me about 4 hours to build and if I had some sort of jig I bet I could turn one out in an hour or so. If you dont get to build one just email me and I would try to make it the way u wanted it send it to you and u could prim and paint the way u wanted. If i knew I could sell them I would start making the bottom side and just stock up on them and then make the tops as needed.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:14 AM
sarroopoo

This is something i want to make myself, I think you would be able to sell some of them, i remember about a year ago a member (dpc123) made aluminum servo savers, and they sold pretty well.
With the robotics program we are presented with a problem, and then have 6 weeks to prototype, design, and build a robot to solve the problem. We are in week 4 right now, once its done and our robot is shipped out, I should have time again. Right now my free time is while the students are in school, and after I get home from the shop, which is usually around 8:30pm. If I braze it I may be able to complete it within that time frame (I have an oxy-mapp setup at home)
Old 02-07-2007, 07:58 PM
koolaid_89

Check out what some odaleah chingow VatoZone chrome looks like man...its really choice!!

Name:	Nl29156.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	616033  
Old 02-07-2007, 08:21 PM
89ram

ORIGINAL: sarroopoo

This is something i want to make myself, I think you would be able to sell some of them, i remember about a year ago a member (dpc123) made aluminum servo savers, and they sold pretty well.
yeah, i made some too. dpc1234's were cnc milled and very cool. mine were hand made, but worked just as well. i had 4 warheads of my own that i put ALservo savers on. koolaid, that's a nice lookin cage.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:36 PM
sarroopoo

89, I remembered yours too (just couldn't remember who made them, sorry) yours looked mechanically sound as well, only reason I remembered DPC is because I have one of his on my warhead right now. How did selling them work out? was there much interest at the time, I'm pretty sure it kept DPC pretty busy.

Edit: Btw, the chrome looks real good, and what rims are those, I like them.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 PM
koolaid_89

Thanks 89......sarroopoo those wheels are made by PSP Manufacturing. There site is under construction but you can look at some by yahooing Savage psp wheels, kind of a backdoor to their site. Wish it was real chrome but it is just chrome in can...lol
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 PM
89ram

ORIGINAL: sarroopoo

89, I remembered yours too (just couldn't remember who made them, sorry) yours looked mechanically sound as well, only reason I remembered DPC is because I have one of his on my warhead right now. How did selling them work out? was there much interest at the time, I'm pretty sure it kept DPC pretty busy.

Edit: Btw, the chrome looks real good, and what rims are those, I like them.
no problem, there's a few wh's running around with my parts on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.