Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Review in Progress: CEN Racing GST 7.7

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Review in Progress: CEN Racing GST 7.7

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Misbehavin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review in Progress: CEN Racing GST 7.7

Everyone should have heard of the CEN Genesis by now, if not you've been hiding under a rock for the the past couple of years!

The latest version of the Genesis, the GST 7.7, just arrived last week. I broke it in yesterday afternoon, but have yet to begin truely beating on it. That'll be coming soon though! This thing is a beast, and so far feel a little more nimble than the versions before it which is probably due in part to the fact the horizontal shocks have been nixed. I'm digging the green chassis as well!

If anyone is interested in this truck, or would like to discuss what I've seen so far while the RC Universe review is underway, feel free to do so in this thread. I'll try to answer any questions/concerns to the best of my ability.

Here's a couple of teaser shots.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:30 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Review in Progress: CEN Racing GST 7.7

Ahhh... Beautiful truck. Im interested to hear how that motor runs after break-in, thru a long bash day. Im less than pleased with my LE, or CEN's service. Looking forward to the videos, and full review.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:54 PM
gkcontra

I have been surprised by the get up -n go of this truck. I expected it to be slow from what people were saying but on a recent trip to the track it was not the case. I have 2 things right now though, 1)While doing final tuning after breakin I got too close to a curb and the front tie rod popped off, now its popped 3 times more and seems to be my weak spot, it will become a captured rod end soon, 2) Can't remember if it was like this before, but if I roll it on the front wheels only, with rear in the air, it seems to grab, like the tranny is catching. I haven't dug apart the tranny or diff yet, but something just doesn't feel right.

I was however impressed at the jumping ability of the truck. On the backstretch of our track there is a jump that most monster trucks can only hit every couple laps because you have to do a perfect turn to line it up or not enough speed, the GST could hit it every time. I just can't get over this thing moving 17 lbs. of truck as well as it does.

I do definitely need to change the steering servo though, major on power pushing thru turns.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on the truck too.

Oh, and since your break-in is done, I thought it was a really easy break in, compared to the horror stories I had heard.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Misbehavin

Ahhh... Beautiful truck. Im interested to hear how that motor runs after break-in, thru a long bash day. Im less than pleased with my LE, or CEN's service. Looking forward to the videos, and full review.
I've never had any problems with the motor's in any of the Genesis-based platforms I've tested to date. I have had some parts break, but we are talking about jumping an 17-18 lb. truck. Landings become more critical, and the weight will make bad landings from high heights much more forceful than smaller trucks.

The GST seems to have a better feel to it than the others I've run, but I really dont have a huge chunk of seat time either so my opinion may change.

I have been surprised by the get up -n go of this truck. I expected it to be slow from what people were saying but on a recent trip to the track it was not the case.
It's not slow, but the motor's powerband is fairly narrow. The three speed tranny takes care of that issue though. I think many are disappointed because they think "big motor", so it much be faster than anything else out there. That's not really the case. Speeds are pretty much in line with other monster trucks. Torque is where the motor is king, although the weight of the truck makes it necessary.

1)While doing final tuning after breakin I got too close to a curb and the front tie rod popped off, now its popped 3 times more and seems to be my weak spot, it will become a captured rod end soon,
Sounds liek the rod end was weakened from the first hit. I've always been surprised at those ends, as they look almost fragile when compared to the rest of the truck. However I've only had an issue with one once, and that was the original Genesis. The truck took a hard botched jump landing to break it.

2) Can't remember if it was like this before, but if I roll it on the front wheels only, with rear in the air, it seems to grab, like the tranny is catching. I haven't dug apart the tranny or diff yet, but something just doesn't feel right.
Most issues like that I've seen are actually the clutch bell and spur gear mesh being off. That doesn;t seem to be exactly what you describe, but worth a check.

I was however impressed at the jumping ability of the truck. On the backstretch of our track there is a jump that most monster trucks can only hit every couple laps because you have to do a perfect turn to line it up or not enough speed, the GST could hit it every time. I just can't get over this thing moving 17 lbs. of truck as well as it does.
I really want to get this truck to the track. It feels so much better than the previous versions. What's odd, is that it seems to feel much more nimble than the Nemesis I had my hands on back in the spring. Premature thoughts, maybe. We'll see how it goes.

As far as power, if you haven't already, remove the pipe's baffle. It makes a nice difference in power output. I remember that from previous results.

Oh, and since your break-in is done, I thought it was a really easy break in, compared to the horror stories I had heard.
Break-in isn't bad, although I don't usually follow the recommended procedure. Idling tanks isn't the best break-in method I feel. I did take that option with the first Genesis. Do you know how long it takes to idle through 220cc of fuel? Too long! Soon after I mentioned that, it seemed their recommendation dropped from 5 idled tanks to 3.

The initial firing of the motor can be a little rough if it's rich for the conditions. However once it fires it's all downhill. A little fuel dropped down the carb throat helps get the first tank fired with a tug or two.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
NitroBurn1

I been looking at this truck for a while, and a review is what i was looking for.

A few questions though.

Does the sharp bend in the header restrict exhaust flow, and rob the engine of power.

Is the pipe that comes with it the only one that can be used, or will any .21 pipe work?

Are there other wheels and tires that fit?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:03 PM
gkcontra

I haven't removed the baffles in the pipe, I asked a few of the drivers on another board about using .21 size pipes and Andrew S. steered me towards the top end pipes. I have one sitting here waiting to go on, just wanted to see it as is.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Misbehavin

Does the sharp bend in the header restrict exhaust flow, and rob the engine of power.
That would be hard to verify without a dyno of some sort. I would tend to think it would to an extent, but the truck isn;t hurting on power out of the box regardless.

I haven't removed the baffles in the pipe, I asked a few of the drivers on another board about using .21 size pipes and Andrew S. steered me towards the top end pipes. I have one sitting here waiting to go on, just wanted to see it as is.
The top-end pipe approach makes sense. The motor's strength is the low end range, a top end pipe would shift the powerband up a little. The result will be a tradeoff with the loss of some low-end, but the Genesis has plenty of that as it is.

Thermal, I meant to tell you I love that avatar earlier. I'm a big Rob Zombie fan from back in the early 90's. I was fairly disappointed with that last release, Educated Horses, but up to that point everything he put forth spends a lot of time spinning in my CD players.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:57 PM
gkcontra

Any new news?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:46 AM
adarsh_007
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

I'm from India. I was searching for review on the GST 7.7 but could only find the genesis 46 & the LE version. Good to know that reveiw on the GST is also in progress.

I ordered my GST 7.7 last week and the truck should be here on saturday. Cant wait to try my hands. My GST will be the first GST truck in my country.

I am not new to trucks, i've had TowerHobbies ST-15 [:@] and a Ho-Bao Super Pirate Buggy since 2 years. But one confusing about the GST is the break-in method of the engine. I dont want to do the idle method I want to breakin the engine by the heat cycle method. And this is what i do with my airplane engines but how do i do this in a truck engine? Can some one please explain the heat cycle method in detail.
Also was wondering is'nt the airfilter in the way of the air flow to the engine head, wont this effect the cooling of the engine?

Is there anything i should do to make the truck run better. Should i take off the baffell in the break-in period too?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Adarsh - www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Misbehavin

Any new news?
I haven't had an opportunity to drive the GST just yet. I'll be behind the wheel soon though!

Can some one please explain the heat cycle method in detail.
[link=http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/main/tech_break-in.html]http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/main/tech_break-in.html[/link]

Is there anything i should do to make the truck run better. Should i take off the baffell in the break-in period too?
That really isn't going to matter during the break-in period. You aren't trying to get maxiumum performance out of the truck.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Mech747

is there different style TVPs for the GST like LCG one? also the radio/servos section of the truck seems to be a pain in the ass to clean after a race...
Old 12-09-2006, 03:31 PM
duckedup

Not sure if they're lower CG but Harcore Racing makes a Ti set for them..
Old 12-09-2006, 04:37 PM
dustin7837

I got a genesis just over a year ago, and I have pretty much upgraded it to a GST wtih the nemesis alum diffs.(- the 23mm hex's)
I bought a new Era pipe for this truck and it did bump the power band up a bit and helps with accel. Also, I put in a Nova racing aluminum clutch(with adjustable weights) and with the torque this thing puts out, it's an insane wheelie machine with the diff locker in.
My buddy has a savage X and I have a 4.6 and when we bash around, the genesis almost makes the savages look weak and gutless.
I really havent found any big weak spots with this truck. I have stripped the odd servo horn (333oz servo) and I've broke the odd A arm, but everytime it was completely my fault for hitting a stationary object at full speed
Old 12-09-2006, 06:36 PM
REVO_RACER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a question

i know u guys review tons of cars/planes and such what do u do when your done
keep them sell them what
Old 12-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Tonecapone

I love my GST but I have gone through at least 3 arms on the track. I have found that if I don't land perfectly the A arms are unforgiving.
Tone
Old 12-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Misbehavin

is there different style TVPs for the GST like LCG one?
There are aftermarket options, but none that lower the COG that I know of.

also the radio/servos section of the truck seems to be a pain in the ass to clean after a race...
A little denatured alcohol and compressed air go a long way. Removeable electronics trays do make things easier, but it's not impossible to get along without them.

i know u guys review tons of cars/planes and such what do u do when your done
keep them sell them what
I have a lot of room under my bed...

I love my GST but I have gone through at least 3 arms on the track. I have found that if I don't land perfectly the A arms are unforgiving.
Probably the upper arms, based upon prior experiences. Of course an 18 pound truck does put a lot of stress on parts if you land incorrectly, much more than a lighter truck. It's a give an take situation.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:15 PM
adarsh_007

Hey Guys,

I got my GST last sunday, and i just adore it The size itself makes you feel like a mammoth.

BTW, I got the truck with only 8 shocks, the top two horizontal shocks are missing in mine. Is it optional buy or something?

Thinking to run in the engine in the week days and want to show it off in the field next sunday. [>:][>:] . All in all the truck looks great, hope it keeps up what it says. And lastly, my GST is the first GST truck in India.

Adarsh
Old 12-12-2006, 11:26 PM
duckedup

The GST doesn't come with the top shocks.. Only the Genesis and Genesis LE came with those.. you're better off without them anyway IMO.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 AM
adarsh_007

Also was wondering is'nt the airfilter in the way of the air flow to the engine head, wont this effect the cooling of the engine?

Does this make a lot of difference? Cause, the big airfilter is in the right in the front of the head and restricts the airflow to the engine head. Do you people think i should go with some other airfilters to this truck? Or it wont matter too much?

Regards,

Adarsh
Old 12-13-2006, 01:02 AM
duckedup

I've never had overheating problems with the Nemesis but some guys do, I don't think it has to do with the filter though.. There's still enough space in between the filter and head that it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 AM
dustin7837

I have known a few things to cause overheating on this engine.
#1 is an exhaust leak right at the exhaust header gasket.
#2 is too small of an air filter. This truck comes wtih a big air filter, and some guys(I tried it too) try and put a smaller one on, but the engine needs a lot of air.
#3 is that this engine seems to me to be a bit odd to tune compared to other smaller engines. It takes a bit of playing with before you get it proper.

i put a Nova race pro cooling head on mine, and it really helps keep temps down.

As far as the top shocks go, I have tried wtih and without. Without, it definately handles better. But wtih the tops on, it takes rougher terrain and big jumps better.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Misbehavin

The GST doesn't come with the top shocks.. Only the Genesis and Genesis LE came with those.. you're better off without them anyway IMO.
I agree. While they may help in big air situations, the eight shock setups handles and feels much beter overall. You can't really design for one purpose without hurting the other. It's give an take. I also don't look towards the GST as a really big air truck. As the heights increase, the force the 18lb. truck puts on it's components is tremedous. That's fine if you always land on your wheels, but not many people do that 100% of the time. So I think the eight shock approach suits the general driving range of the truck much better.

Does this make a lot of difference? Cause, the big airfilter is in the right in the front of the head and restricts the airflow to the engine head. Do you people think i should go with some other airfilters to this truck? Or it wont matter too much?
I can't see, nor have I experienced, the air filter causing any problem in this regard. If the GST is overheating the problem lies elsewhere.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:31 AM
ThermalRD

There are enough guys with engine problems on these trucks, to warrant an action from CEN. Thats all there is to it. I've tried everything that Smolnik had suggested on my truck, and still the truck runs like crap. Im interested to see your review of this thing. But in all honesty, CEN has burnt an image in my mind, of bad customer service. The last two times i had e-mailed them, no reply at all. And not once did they ever offer to examine the motor, or replace it. It would be nice if CEN had a decent running engine in this truck. It would be even nicer if they cared about those customers that DIDNT get soo fortunate with a good running engine.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Misbehavin

Is it just the performance that has been a problem to you? I'm puzzled as I have not had any issues with any of the ones I've worked with. The GST I'm currently working with has plenty of power, at least for the backyard. My trip to the track was ill-fated, and I had a problem with the differential's output yoke soon after arriving. So I haven't had a chance to really hammer it hard at the track yet.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:34 AM
ThermalRD

No, i can tune it to perform. Every few minutes that changes though. And requires tuning. There was a decent thread in the CEN forum, with alot of talk of this. Some guys were working on some fixes. I simply set mine down, rather than get frustrated with it. I could try to dig up the thread, if you wanna check it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.