Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Difference in CEN shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Chronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in CEN shocks?

I'm making some new shock towers for my Savage and I was planning on running some of the many 5"+/- long rear buggy or truggy shocks that are on the market, but then I noticed the CEN Genesis overhead shocks. They look just like the other CEN MT shocks but they are only 5.375" long. I couldn't pass them up considering the $17 buy it now price for all four...

Are they the same(shaft size, shock body diameter, piston) as the regular shocks other than the length?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:23 AM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Difference in CEN shocks?

Top shocks from a Gen? I dont think you'll like em. Unless CEN has updated them. The Nemesis was the first truck that had shocks that actually worked. The Genesis shocks are horrible. Even on my Gen LE, they suck... I've put 5 wt in em, and they still dont move smooth at all... If you want nice CEN shocks, get them off a Nem, or the GST. As for size, they look pretty bulky. What did you want them compared to? A savage shock? I have my top shocks off the gen, i could take a pic of them next to another if ya want. Shafts, etc, all seem similar to 8th scale. Pretty hefty. But they still suck.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Chronic

Well you sure do know how to rain on someones parade... Do you think some Nemesis/GST pistons would help, or is it some other aspect of the shock?

Now hold off on the rolling eyes and laughter.... but I'm actually using them to replace LST shocks. While the LST shocks are awesome, I wanted something smaller(both diameter and length) so I can lay them over a little more and run much shorter towers than stock. I didn't want to go all the way down to Tmaxx length shocks so I was looking for some 5" truggy shocks when I came across these. I figured they would at least be able to handle a single shock setup on a 10lb truck even if the action wasn't that great. Plus they were only $17 and I'm a tightwad.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:11 AM
ThermalRD

LOL. Sorry man... I didnt mean to dissapoint ya. Im not really sure what made the Nem, or GST shocks smoother. It could be a piston change, a shock body change, or both. So these are going on a Savage, that had LST shocks outfitted to them? And now you want a shorter shock? The first thing that comes to mind, would be a muggy shock. But that wont be any narrower... Have you taken a look ath Hellfire shocks, or 8eight buggy shocks? Seems i remember both of those being pretty hefty. Maybe some rear shocks from either. Then again, i cant say they'll be cheap either. lol.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Chronic

It would be neat to go with the Hellfire shocks since they are HPI. What I really wanted were some of the 3.5mm shaft CRT Big Bore shocks, but the $90 pricetag threw me off since I'm not even sure I'll like this setup. At least I can use the CEN overhead shocks to set up my towers since they are close to the CRT shocks in length, and I'll just swap them out later.

I might even put the CEN shocks on my Mad Force if they don't work on the Savage.