Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

New AE MGT...beginner questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New AE MGT...beginner questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:34 PM
3nickles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AE MGT...beginner questions

Looking to pick up the extras to get the truck running and have a few questions.

1) Says I have to add oil to the pre-filter and gives an AE stock number. Can I use some ordinary 3-1 oil or something from the house or do I need to buy specific air-filter oil and where?

2) Says the Xmitter takes 8AA but can take rechargeable batteries. Does anyone run rechargeable batteries in their stock AE radio? If so where do you buy the charger and how many Mah are the rechargeable batteries? I was also wondering if I can retrofit the stock rcvr battery holder that takes 4AA to rechargeables as well?

3) Says to use thread-lock? What number of thread lock and which bolts/nuts commonly come off this thing ( I remember reading that certain nuts come loose but can't remember where)?

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:45 PM
scottywilkes

Default RE: New AE MGT...beginner questions

Ok number 1. Its best to use a filter oil made fro air filters as it is very tacky and dosnt let in dirt like normal oil does, now a local hobby store will sell it, but the stuff for RCs is quite $$$$, u can also go to a motorcycle store and get the airfilter oil they use on there motorbikes, u will get alot more for about the same price ass the tiny hobby store bottles.

No 2. Yes it can take rechargables, any AA rechargable will work, but u will need like either one of them wall chargers that u slot the batteries into and it takes overnight to charge, or u can get a good peak charger that will charge them in about 30 mins, tower hobbies has heaps of chargers so its a good place to loo.

no 3. The main screw that need threadlcoking are the ones on the diff cups. If u look at the tranny u will see the big blue cups, now stock they coem with red locktight and are very hard to remove, so its best to just wait till they need removing. Also the cups that attatch from the tranny to the diffs have a grub screw shaft on them to to hold them in, now these are red threadlocked also so no need until u need to take them apart. Make sureu have red locktight with you to, cause when u do take them apart, bluelocktight dosnt have a strong enough hold and they will work them selves out.

U can also heatshrink over these grubs for extra protection, it will keep the grub from falling out in the event that it does loosen.

Hope thie helps

BTW forgot to add, if u get a peak charger, get a hump pack for the RX as it will give u better power to all the servos and are just way bettter than normal AAs or rechargables
Old 12-26-2006, 06:46 PM
TheDIESEL

you can put any kind of oil in the filter. It is recommended that you use oil that is intended for the filter. Rechargeable batteries are fine as long as they are charged up. I would recommend a fail safe unit so if you lose juice from the transmitter your mgt won't go full throttle into some on object or person. Use blue thread lock.....
Old 12-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Evader ---> MGT

1) I reccomend using air filter oil, doesn't ahve to be that kind, but should be for this, becuase the air might not flow as easily through other oils.
2) I use rechargables in my TX and RX and a 5-cell nimh pack for the rx is a must. I use energizer rechargable 2650mah for the tx and a 1200mah venom pack for the rx. I use a Duratrax Piranha Digital Peak Charger. For $50 it has a lot of features and it is actually pretty cheap. Does a good job too. A 5-cell jump pack will fit into the battery holder with no mods, becuase the batteries are 2/3A, not AA.
3) Any screw that goes into another metal must use threadlock. ANY METAL-->METAL CONTACTS NEED IT!

Hope you have fun. My MGT is in pieces throughout my living room right now.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Wow, as I typed, you posted Scotty. Never had that happen.
As long as you keep your throttle return spring, a failsafe isn't necissary, but it is a good thing to have. Also, again, air filter oil for motorcycles or RC.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Chronic

As for #2.... You can get 8 2650mah AA batts and a 15 minute quick charger for them at Wal-Mart for about $40. If you don't want to upgrade to a 5 cell RX pack right now, then stick to regular AA batts in the supplied 4 batt holder. The problem with running 4 rechargeables is that they are only 1.2v instead of the normal 1.5v, so if you put four of them in that battery holder you would only be sending 4.8v to the servos instead of 6v. That's why the RX packs come with 5 cells instead of 4, to make up for the lower voltage.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:06 PM
3nickles

Great. Thanks for the advice everbody.

Question about the 5 cell rcvr nicad. Are they AAs in the pack or something else. Can someone attach a link to an online place where I could buy one?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:19 PM
scottywilkes

www.towerhobbies.com proly the best place to buy stuff from if u live in the USA
Old 12-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Evader ---> MGT

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUJ3&P=7
As stated above, they're 2/3A batteries. These were my first upgrade.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:06 PM
3nickles

Evader;

Will that pack fit in the Rcvr holder that came with the MGT?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:15 PM
scottywilkes

the batts go in the batt box not the reciever box. Yes it will fit in there. It will fit just like the AA holder does. U will need a decent peak charger though if u get some hump packs
Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Read what I said above and it answered all you questions. Charger, fit, batts, everyting.