Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

"Hey, can i drive that.."

Old 01-02-2007, 05:15 PM
fga
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Hey, can i drive that.."

Ever get people asking to drive your stuff? I don't mean other guys who have them and drive them with ya...people who just come up to you while you're out? I would never ask myself, but i get asked pretty often. I have allowed 2-3 people over the years, and 1 one of them snapped a tower on me.
I always say no now, but i don't want to come off arrogant or anything.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Anomie

Default RE: "Hey, can i drive that.."

All I ever get is 'hey, can I push that?'

Maybe after it's finished...
Old 01-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Dil

geeeez, i know most ppl think they can handle it, i made it a policy that no one drives my trucks, i had a few bad experiences as well

y do they think theese are toys, i mean most ppl i knw call theese little toys and crap, its damm annoying sometimes!!!!!!![:@]
Old 01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
silverman1

There toys and expensive toys at that. Someone will gladly call it a toy and beat your truck, but they would never go out and buy a rc truck for themselves to cheap. Next time ask them if you can drive thier car or atv!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 PM
duckedup

I made this mistake one time, it was my Jato that I let some guy drive. My buddies and I were messing around in a mall parking lot and this dude had been watching us for a while, finally came over and asked us if he could give it a shot, my friends said no and I didn't want to be an *****, so I let him.. In literally under a minute, the Jato cartwheeled about 5 times after hitting a curb, fortunately he only got it up to about 20 and the damage was minimal (top plate, which breaks all the time anyway..), but still, almost had a heart attack over that one lol, I won't let that happen again. I can't blame him though, I was the idiot that let him have at it.... now, I explain how much these things cost every time someone asks to drive.. I still kinda' feel like an ***** every time I turn someone down though, I remember being young and drooling over these things every time I'd see a hobby grade car/truck, especially gas powered....
Old 01-02-2007, 06:01 PM
fga

I look at it that way as well, but at the same time I want the hobby to grow around here. Its that double edge sword phrase You can get someone hooked on these after a mere few minutes. I just don't want to advance the hobby at my exspense.

I will rethink it if its an adult and we're in an open lot, etc. MAYBE
Old 01-02-2007, 06:04 PM
duckedup

I will rethink it if its an adult and we're in an open lot, etc. MAYBE
It was and adult in my situation, in a fairly large lot, he found his way to the end of it though
Old 01-02-2007, 06:57 PM
jombo

this is why i bring 2 trucks to the field, one is a nitro and the other is a newbright toysrus special. when they ask the question i say sure and pull out the newbright [:-] and then they walk away.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Bria1

You could always say "sure you can, as soon as you buy one" and direct them to the nearest hobby shop. LOL

I let a neighbor kid drive an old Tamiya King Cab I have. I was thinking "it's not that fast, what can he do to it". So what does he do...full speed straight into a curb. Since there are no replacement parts available, I had to JB weld the bell crank mounts on the chassis. [>:]
Old 01-02-2007, 07:51 PM
89ram

show the would-be driver a parts list with prices. the totals should be enough to scare off most! there's only 2 that have driven my trucks, my bro, and a guy with a wad of cash[looking to buy]
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
DaveG55

Lord, you guys are a bunch of hard hearts.
I let anybody who asks drive any of mine.
The last one who asked to drive my Revo was a four year old girl. She did really well.
I even encourage it and almost always ask if people watching want to drive.
Even got a buddy to fly my CX last week. He did really well for never having flown any rc aircraft before. I think he may go buy one.
There's a lot of enjoyment to be had in sharing and spreading the hobby.
But to each their own I guess..........
Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Uglysteve

HE** NO YOU CAN'T DRIVE IT!!!

I'm not as nice as you DaveG55. [sm=sad_smile.gif]
Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Chronic

I'm not really big on handing over my radio to just anyone, but I tend to go along with DaveG55's philosophy whenever the person seems "safe". I'll let someone drive it, but I make sure they know the expense involved beforehand.

My 2 year old daughter has "driven" my little Mini Quake SE lots of times(she actually does pretty good with her Zip-Zaps, considering she's TWO!). I'm more scared of her dropping my radio than wrecking the truck.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:59 PM
89ram

i've let other poeple fly my planes, but they were always good pilots[better than me!]. but for rc trucks, some poeple think... sure i can drive a car, how hard can this be? then you get a high speed accident and a busted truck. now, in a large open area with nothing to hit, i don't have a problem letting someone else have some fun. i guess not many have asked!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:06 PM
89ram

some airplane radios have a trainer switch that allows the pilot to take over the control when a new pilot screws up. this could be handy for those inexperienced driver moments!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:39 PM
MadDogRC

i am nice but i aint letting any noob little kid or smart ***** adult drive my brand new TNX 5.2R cause if they crash it they might not pay up and it would have been my fault for letting them have a go.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Ken448

Ill let people drive my cars, I dont have a problem with it. I think most adults on here that have the money to fix their cars and dont have to mow lawns for a week for fuel and parts will say the same thing. If they break it o well, chances are they will enjoy it enough to find out how much it costs, maybe even get a new friend to RC with!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:39 PM
More HP

I try to politely get out of actually saying "No"... but most of the time I end up turning the throttle end point down so they can't get going too fast in the first place. That's what I've been doing with my kids for years now, and slowly bump the throttle up more and more as they get better.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:07 AM
gigacrusher.28

before i let anyone drive it i tell them that its really expensive and that if they break it they "WILL" pay for it to get fixed, but only if it looks like someone who will listen and not just go WOT straight away into something and could bust it. and i always say to put on the throttle very slowy, and if they go to fast i tell them to slow down
Old 01-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Tbizz

Usually I'd say " You berak it you buy it" and for the most part that works fine. But since most of the friends are into the hobby too I don't have much trouble.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:27 AM
tommythecat

I let anyone drive mine, as long as they seem nice enough, and we are in an area where they can't damage anything but the RC (no nearby parked cars etc...) and there are no nearby total loss hazzards (cliffs, ponds, rivers etc...)

I even took like 7 of the neighborhood kids to the local park and let them all take turns driving my maxx and rusty around the baseball diamond one day last summer. They all had a blast and the only thing broken was a ball end on the back of my rusty when the one neighbor girl put it into a high speed roll.

The way I see it, no one can beat them any harder than I do already so there is no harm in letting anyone else drive. And besides I don't mind. Especially with little kids. A 2 minute speech on how dangerous they are along with some part price examples usually scares the kids into keeping the throttle use to a minimum. End point adjustments on the throttle servo can also be adjusted way down for the really little kids. As for adults, as long as they are employed and can be coerced (read threatened) into replacing anything they break I don't see any risk.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:41 AM
ferrariowner123

i've made the mistake of letitng my dad drive, twice!. the first time he hit a car tire and tore the front end off my car, and the second time he fried the electronics some how?[sm=confused.gif] but now its no to everyone, the only exception is if some who has a truck, but its not working and they want to drive mine, thats ok with me
Old 01-03-2007, 12:11 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

I run into this problem more often with planes than with cars, and I will not let ANYBODY fly my planes unless I know them and I am familiar with their flying. I did let a stranger have a go with a lightweight electric trainer once, after he convinced me he knew what he was doing--he actually did fine, but I resolved not to do it again anyway, after thinking about what might have happened if he were a better storyteller than pilot. With cars, I've only been asked for a turn driving once or twice(probably because I try to stay AWAY from other people when I got out bashing). I did let a friend's 6 year old drive my MGT with the throttle endpoint turned down all the way - he actually did very well with it and now has his own Ultra Comp LX(at 6 years old!). I guess it all comes down to whether you can trust the person asking for a go at the wheel.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber

I run into this problem more often with planes than with cars, and I will not let ANYBODY fly my planes unless I know them and I am familiar with their flying. I did let a stranger have a go with a lightweight electric trainer once, after he convinced me he knew what he was doing--he actually did fine, but I resolved not to do it again anyway, after thinking about what might have happened if he were a better storyteller than pilot. With cars, I've only been asked for a turn driving once or twice(probably because I try to stay AWAY from other people when I got out bashing). I did let a friend's 6 year old drive my MGT with the throttle endpoint turned down all the way - he actually did very well with it and now has his own Ultra Comp LX(at 6 years old!). I guess it all comes down to whether you can trust the person asking for a go at the wheel.

I don't blame anyone for not letting strangers fly their planes. Especially any nitro powered plane. They are a different animal. One slip and several hundred dollars and many, many hours of work can be completely and utterly destroyed.
Cars/trucks on the other hand, What's really gonna break? Unless somebody drives it under the wheels of a moving 1:1 car it's unlikely anything expensive is gonna get broke. Certainly nothing worse than I'm likely to break myself. I will let anyone who asks politely drive any of them that I own. As I said above, letting others find out how much fun this hobby is, is IMHO one of the best things about it. I'm really finding it an eye opening experence seeing how many people take the "it's mine and you cann't play with it" attitude. I must say I'm really, really surprised!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Uglysteve

You still can't drive my car. [>:] Really, though, i'm just being facetious. I let two of the team racers drive my revo at the track last weekend. And I let my brother, father and wife drive it at the local elementary school during the Christmas break. My wife drove it straight into the school. And I let my 5 year old son handle the steering while I control the throttle. But i'm still not as nice as you DaveG55. I don't let just anyone drive it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.