Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Painting Aluminum parts?

Old 01-16-2007, 11:12 PM
ferrariowner123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Aluminum parts?

i've been wondering is there a special trick or product to paint or dye alum parts and how do you get the black chrome look like on these wheels
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXPEH9&P=K
Old 01-16-2007, 11:57 PM
KRO

Default RE: Painting Aluminum parts?

Its very hard to paint aluminum , most of the time its powder coated .

You can dye plastic chrome wheels with RIT dye too .....
Old 01-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Uglysteve

"dying" aluminum is what is commonly referred to as Anodizing. This is done with various chemicals and an electric current treatment.

as for those axial wheels, they are painted plastic. They are probably painted with a high quality laquer or powder coat that is then baked on for durability.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 AM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

annodizing is the way to go, but if you dont feel like paying for it or getting your own equipment setup, it is possible to paint. you need to sand it down, and get a special aluminum self etching primer, then suitable paint. Someone at an aoutomotive paint shop may be able to help you. But paint never looks as good as annodizing.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 AM
RS4rallydriver

out of curiosity... where would someomeone go to get a container of sulfuric acid..?
I was gonna take the aluminum chassis on my stampede to an automotive paint shop to have them powder coat it, but it'd be cooler to have it anodized[8D]
Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 AM
transam388

For Sulfuric acid, go to a pool store or hardware store. Pools use it to help with certain chemicle stabilizations. As far as painting and anodizing I am more a fan of powder coating. I also work on cars quite a bit so do a fair amount of powder coating. The up front cost is moderate. A nice powder coater for small to mid size items can go from 150 to 225. There are plenty of places on the web that have tons of colors as well. Many more colors than you may expect. Anyway, here is where the cost starts to go up. You need to have an air compressor and a fairly large one, IE 35 Gallon tank for use with a sand blaster. The sand blaster is for cleaning the part you want to coat. Last but not least is an oven. If most of what you are coating is small you could even get a turkey oven but something that can go to 400 degrees.

Sorry, did not want to write an article about this but trying to give some input. Powder coating is very durable and resistant to chemicles which is a plus with fuel and exhaust spraying on them. Once you get a coater and get all set up you will probably use it more than you thought.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:41 PM
ferrariowner123

wow thanks guys for all the help. so how does it cost to have my alum parts Anodized? or to buy my own equipment? thanks alot
Old 01-17-2007, 12:46 PM
-SomeGuy-

It can be done.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
ferrariowner123

yeah i've seen your truck vary nice savage you have.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]