Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

My first truck...Monster GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 AM
webdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first truck...Monster GT

Here it is, my 1st rc since a Turbo Optima Mid SE when I was 14. (29 now)
Havent even fired it up yet. Hopefully this weekend!!

Few questions...
I want to add the power stroke shocks, will they bolt on or is something else needed to fit the MGT.

IS the Team chassis any lighter than the stock one?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40022.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	627260  
Old 02-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: My first truck...Monster GT

Wow! That body and black wheels looks really cool. From what I have read, guys have to run a stiffer set of springs with the powerstrokes for the heavier truck and proline used to have a Monster GT adapter kit for the powerstrokes, but they discontinued it.

Did you buy it new or used?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
KRO

Powerstrokes will bolt on with the stock A arms or aluminum a arms , the RPM a arms need to be ground a little for clearence ...

The team chassis is lighter , but probably not stronger than the stocker ......

Is this truck brand new ? Looks like you've already pimped it out a little ...... Nice body BTW .....
Old 02-22-2007, 12:56 PM
webdr

yes, its brand new. When I ordered it, I went to the local hobby shop and got the body. Thanks for the comps!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Dale Gribble

Well, since you want your MGT's powerplant to last as long as possible, ask any questions about the break in process or any issues you might have. Here are some friendly pointers I have-

Go to the LHS and buy one of those BIG 1.5V square batteries and the glow starter with the banana clips; once you get one of those, you will never go back. I can't stand the standard Sub C glow starters any more. There is a big difference in starting a truck when you have unlimited glow starter juice available- because then you don't have to worry about having the starter hooked up for a short of time as possible to conserve juice or having the starter die in the field. One of those big batteries lasted me over a year and it still wasn't dead yet.

Try and get your hands on the RC Car Action Nitro Tuning Guide before you break in. That book is 100% worth it. I have created some of the best and most reliable running engines using their tips and break in procedures. They go over things that many people would just overlook. I got this book even when I was in Nitro RC for over 2 years and I still learned a ton from it.

A good first upgrade is a 5 cell rx pack. The AA batteries for the receiver don't last too long and you never know where you stand with them. With an RX pack, you can charge it before every run day and know you will have enough RX power to play all day and prevent low battery runaways.

That's about it to start. Enjoy!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
MrN8

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Go to the LHS and buy one of those BIG 1.5V square batteries and the glow starter with the banana clips; once you get one of those, you will never go back. I can't stand the standard Sub C glow starters any more. There is a big difference in starting a truck when you have unlimited glow starter juice available- because then you don't have to worry about having the starter hooked up for a short of time as possible to conserve juice or having the starter die in the field. One of those big batteries lasted me over a year and it still wasn't dead yet.

I still use my original rechargeable glow starter, but carry a spare c-cell glow starter in my bag with a couple of Energizer Rechargeables. I've had my days cut short before because I had just the one starter, so since then it's been nice to have an extra. I've not seen the banana clip version for less than $75, so I haven't gone for one, yet.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:55 PM
webdr

Dale, is this what your talking about?

http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mag...ning_guide.htm
Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: webdr

Dale, is this what your talking about?

http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mag...ning_guide.htm
That is exactly what I am talking about... What a good book.

ORIGINAL: MrN8

I still use my original rechargeable glow starter, but carry a spare c-cell glow starter in my bag with a couple of Energizer Rechargeables. I've had my days cut short before because I had just the one starter, so since then it's been nice to have an extra. I've not seen the banana clip version for less than $75, so I haven't gone for one, yet.
We must have different ideas of what I was trying to describe. I just meant this $6 battery-

and this $5 locking glow plug clip-

Those two items will give you the longest glow battery life you have ever seen! Especially when braking in a motor and trying to get an engine up to temperature the first few times.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:49 PM
MrN8

Interesting. I've never seen that before. I bet I could rig my c-battery starter up that way by solding the clips to it. Good info, thanks.