Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

How much do Hobby Shops generally charge to tune trucks?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

How much do Hobby Shops generally charge to tune trucks?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:19 PM
SPCartmanLand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do Hobby Shops generally charge to tune trucks?

anyone know?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 PM
ccamachotc3

Default RE: How much do Hobby Shops generally charge to tune trucks?

my hobby shop charged me 10 bucks and everytime i mess it up they stay consitant. but another hobby shop 20 mins in the other direction charges 50 so u tell me were do u think i spend my money.lol if u have a couple of hobby shops near u call them and ask how much they charge for a tune. then make ur decision either play them good tell them that ur car just fell out of wack or if the car is new tell them hey man my car is new and i need help on tuning it can i come up there and u can help me out so i can learn. just run some game on them like u were talkin to a girl or something
Old 02-28-2007, 08:30 PM
duckedup

Two of the shops around here charge $20 or $30/hour, not sure about the others.. talk about easy money lol
Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 PM
rcdudegermy10

dude, just do it yourself, it's easy.... you just need a temp-gun..... adjust the hsn needle until your truck runs at under 270. Let your engine get warmed up first
Old 03-01-2007, 04:47 AM
gigacrusher.28

if you tune your car to temp there is a good chance its not tuned right. you want to tune to the amount of smoke coming out the exhaust because some cars run hotter than others(can be the same engine in the same car) so it wont be tuned right
Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 AM
webdr

Someone told me on this site that optimum temp is the RESULT of a well tuned motor, not the cause. If you have it dialed in well, the temp will reflect it.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:40 PM
[email protected]

I check my temp but don't tune to temp. If my engine pulls hard and runs cool thats fine by me. I tune my engine to performance not to temp. I had my engine running at 215 all day long had great power lots of smoke and thats fine by me, It was only 20 degrees out side. The engine will let you know what it likes when you hit the sweet spot, but it will vary from day to day. Just make small adjustments and check the temp to make sure you don't overheat. It would be cool if we could have a fuel injected engine with a small computer. I did see a supercharger kit any one know if there any good?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
atv_motocross#38

I would rather take the time and tune my trucks myself.I am only 14 years old and i tune mine by myself. It is easy. All you need is a temp gun and a srewdriver.

My rigs: Warhead EVO and Nitro Evader ST hopped up and ready for the street
Old 03-01-2007, 04:09 PM
RCtruckRacer

Neither the amount of visible exhaust, nor the temperature are true indications of a correct tune.

There is a point at which the air fuel mixture will allow an engine to be able to obtain a maximum of RPM's. The sweet spot is generally regarded as being slightly rich from this point. That is the only true indication of a proper tune. Being slightly rich from the point at which an engine will reach its max RPM's cannot be judged by temperature or the amount of smoke coming out the stinger.

It is SO easy to reach this point. All you have to do is:

1) Start out with rich settings. If you are unsure how to go about this, an easy way is to start with stock needle settings. The factories always set them rich for break ins.
2) Warm up the engine. Try not to hammer the throttle too much while its still bone cold, but slowly work your way up to a couple WOT runs.
3) Now that the engine is warmed up (1/2 tank is good), do a couple WOT runs in front of you and pay attention to the pitch of your engine. The higher the pitch, the more RPM's its doing.
4) Now lean out the HSN by 1 hour increments (30 degrees, 1/12 of a full circle etc) and continue to do some WOT runs in front of you. The engine's max RPM's should continue to go up each and every time you lean out the HSN by those 1 hour changes. If it doesn't, you have reached the top end and need to richen by an hour. Make sure that you do not continue to lean out the HSN after max RPM's have been reached. You will damage the engine.

Congratulations, you just found the sweet spot. Now, if you notice that the car/truck bogs a bit at take off, lean out the LSN (again 1 hr increments) until it will take off at the touch of the trigger.
And you're done. At this point I like to temp the engine to get a baseline reading for the day.

This is a simple and fool proof method of tuning that everyone can do. Regardless of experience.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
atv_motocross#38

well, somebody seems to be an expert!

My rigs: Warhead EVO and Nitro Evader ST hopped up and ready for the street
Old 03-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Nason

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

Neither the amount of visible exhaust, nor the temperature are true indications of a correct tune.

There is a point at which the air fuel mixture will allow an engine to be able to obtain a maximum of RPM's. The sweet spot is generally regarded as being slightly rich from this point. That is the only true indication of a proper tune. Being slightly rich from the point at which an engine will reach its max RPM's cannot be judged by temperature or the amount of smoke coming out the stinger.

1) Start out with rich settings. If you are unsure how to go about this, an easy way is to start with stock needle settings. The factories always set them rich for break ins.
2) Warm up the engine. Try not to hammer the throttle too much while its still bone cold, but slowly work your way up to a couple WOT runs.
3) Now that the engine is warmed up (1/2 tank is good), do a couple WOT runs in front of you and pay attention to the pitch of your engine. The higher the pitch, the more RPM's its doing.
4) Now lean out the HSN by 1 hour increments (30 degrees, 1/12 of a full circle etc) and continue to do some WOT runs in front of you. The engine's max RPM's should continue to go up each and every time you lean out the HSN by those 1 hour changes. If it doesn't, you have reached the top end and need to richen by an hour. Make sure that you do not continue to lean out the HSN after max RPM's have been reached. You will damage the engine.

Congratulations, you just found the sweet spot. Now, if you notice that the car/truck bogs a bit at take off, lean out the LSN (again 1 hr increments) until it will take off at the touch of the trigger.
And you're done. At this point I like to temp the engine to get a baseline reading for the day.

This is a simple and fool proof method of tuning that everyone can do. Regardless of experience.

great post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM
RCtruckRacer

well, somebody seems to be an expert!
That's a negative. I know what I know, and more importantly, I know what I DON'T know. My method (well, not really mine its just the way I learned from a real expert) takes all the guesswork out of tuning. Tuning a 2 stroke is not rocket science, and everyone can tune so that they get maximum life and performance out of each mill. I have just recently decided to make it my personal goal that everyone I meet in R/C be able to perform this simple operation.

Its just SOOOOO easy, and too many people just starting out seem to have too many problems with tuning. Over the next few days I will be taking that somewhat abbreviated instruction list and expanding on it. Expect to see it posted a few times. Sorry to anyone that will get annoyed at seeing it, but there are so many new people signing up everyday I will probably have to post it often.

Feel free to question or pick apart my listed methodology, I will incorporate all good ideas into the final draft.

Thanks Nason!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:04 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

If you can't tune the engine yourself, you might as well sell it. It's the basics of Nitro to tune an engine.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 PM
89ram

rctruckracer, i've never used exactly that method, but i thought that was a pretty good explanation. thanks!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 PM
rcdudegermy10

Temperature is an important way to tune... for example my T-Maxx hauls ass at 325, but is that good for the engine....NO, and yes there still is smoke coming out of the exhuast.... so you do need to check temps when you tune..... why do manuals say to do it.... b/c it saves your engine.... a hot running engine will have less life as well
Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 PM
RCtruckRacer

Absolutely wrong. If you use my method, you will NEVER have to worry about the temperature again. Not ever. Unless you have an air leak, which would hamper your ability to tune, you cannot get 'too hot' or run too lean. That's the beauty of it. Now, I will say that I have never been in a circumstance where my engines ran properly, or were tuned well and ran over 300F. However, as Fuelman will be happy to point out, there is a possibility that the right conditions and right engine would dictate operating at temps that high. Sure, you may be just as likely to win the lottery, but the possibility is there.

That said, NEVER tune by temperature. You will shorten the life of your engine. Tune by performance and you will extend the life of your engine.

And as far as the amount of visible exhaust, the amount of moisture in the air, and type of fuel you use will cause that to vary greatly. Which is why you cannot judge your tune by it.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:58 AM
DaveG55

Absolutely wrong. If you use my method, you will NEVER have to worry about the temperature again. Not ever. Unless you have an air leak, which would hamper your ability to tune, you cannot get 'too hot' or run too lean. That's the beauty of it. Now, I will say that I have never been in a circumstance where my engines ran properly, or were tuned well and ran over 300F. However, as Fuelman will be happy to point out, there is a possibility that the right conditions and right engine would dictate operating at temps that high. Sure, you may be just as likely to win the lottery, but the possibility is there.

That said, NEVER tune by temperature. You will shorten the life of your engine. Tune by performance and you will extend the life of your engine.

And as far as the amount of visible exhaust, the amount of moisture in the air, and type of fuel you use will cause that to vary greatly. Which is why you cannot judge your tune by it.
Ya'll need to listen to this man. He has it right!
Tuning with a temp gun is just using a crutch that will, if you don't know how to tune, cause you nothing but frustration and eventual engine damage. Temperature guages for rc's are a fairly recent innovation and should be considered a tool not the be-all/end-all of tuning. And I have yet to see any engine manufacturer say in their literature "use a temp guage and tune to this temp". They do not say that, they say to tune the engine by listening and judging performance and then they may say CHECK it with a temp gun. Exactly what RCtruck Racer said.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:11 AM
cooljoe

I used to pay $50.00 to get my WH tuned. Not anymore as I learned to do it myself with help of the forums. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-02-2007, 12:23 PM
[email protected]

Your method is good but has one problem running in cold weather. I tune my car almost the same way but found on WOT long runs 100 yards or so and the engine overheats. I dial in just like you but then richen back a hair so it runs a little cooler on high speed long runs. Some people think (you can't over heat when it's 30" or colder out side) I found out the hard way and my engine locked up[&o]. Now I play it a little safe in the cold. In the summer I still play it a little safe. I'm not a pro and just started with rc cars and trucks, boats to( I can't get enough) about a year ago so I'm still learing.The engine does have a pitch when you get it right, But on my MGT I'm having a problem with getting it right only because its my first big block, and I don't have a lot of time now 15 min or so and that's it.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:27 PM
hands without shadows

If you have a good hobby store (like mine) they will teach you how to do it for free if you come in when its not busy.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:31 PM
dude7422

hi everyone the one try to go to all the time does not charge money to tune motor
Old 03-02-2007, 02:33 PM
dude7422

cooljoe your local hobby store bites imo to charge you for some thing they shouuld show you how to do
ORIGINAL: cooljoe

I used to pay $50.00 to get my WH tuned. Not anymore as I learned to do it myself with help of the forums. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
RCtruckRacer

I tune my car almost the same way but found on WOT long runs 100 yards or so and the engine overheats.
That's way too much space. 100 feet or so should be enough. If it takes much more than that to hit your highest RPM's then there is something else wrong. Even with a 3 speed you should be able to get close enough at 100-150 feet. If you are doing WOT runs of that distance, you definately need to run richer than normal.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:25 PM
[email protected]

I tune my car almost the same way but found on WOT long runs 100 yards or so and the engine overheats.
That's way too much space. 100 feet or so should be enough. If it takes much more than that to hit your highest RPM's then there is something else wrong. Even with a 3 speed you should be able to get close enough at 100-150 feet. If you are doing WOT runs of that distance, you definately need to run richer than normal.
I'm racing other people on the football field, my little cen funfactor can get up, I think 45 or faster. When I take my dog out she will run and try to catch it. She cought it one time and that cost $50 bucks. It was the funniest thing I saw. I have a pitbull and the truck lost.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:35 PM
rcdudegermy10

well just watch your temps, you won't be tuning your engine right if it is running at 350 degrees....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.