Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Need advice on what would be a good starting RC car/truck.

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Need advice on what would be a good starting RC car/truck.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 AM
RevoRage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on what would be a good starting RC car/truck.

I am very new in the RC world. Honestly I have never owned an RC anything. But it intrigues me. I'm still amazed that RC cars/trucks can go that fast. I will be buying something in the next few days. I'm not sure yet though.
For the last week I've been reading up on what would good for me, what would be good for the money, and if I wanted to, what would be good to race against other RC cars/trucks.
I've also visited a couple hobby shops in the area, and alot of people are pushing me towards the Revo 3.3. A couple of days ago I was dead set on buying it, but now I'm having second thoughts. The money is and is'nt a factor in my decision. I basically want a car/truck that's worth my while, I don't want to waste my money on something, that's going to break all the time or be the slowest. Eventually I would like to get into racing.
I've always wanted to get into this, and now I can finally afford it.
Please....any advice would certainly be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:24 AM
nkbrisson

Default RE: Need advice on what would be a good starting RC car/truck.

Well its a good hobby to get into, but unfortunatly its going to break at some point, the REVO is a great truck, and I have a lot of respect for it, however all monster trucks are money pits, if you want something that will be durable and raceable, as well as easy to work on and maintain I would consider the Associated GT2, its only a 2wd truck, but its a great starting platform, its pretty cheap to buy, and is a great bigginer tuck in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 AM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

Well I would say go with the Revo 3.3.... I love mine!!! been running it now for over 3 months and I have had no problems with the truck at all. Starts when I want it to and has been easy to tune and stay in tune.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:12 AM
RCtruckRacer

God help you, that's all I can say.

Sounds like you are the type of person that will really enjoy the hobby. I'm not sure if that's good or bad... you married? The wife OK with you spending hours in the garage tinkering with your truck? This hobby can really suck you in... The Revo is a great starting truck. Its dependable, can go fast, and is a good starting platform for a racer. Its also a lot more forgiving that a 2 wheel drive truck. 2WD's take a lot more throttle control than a 4WD - the back end get squirrely much more easily on a 2WD. But, it is also a great way to learn to wheel. I didn't start to do well racing until I got into the gas truck class. It will teach you how to get around the track. By the same token, the monster truck class usually has more beginner racers than any other class. So its a trade off.

I highly reccomend that you go to your local track immediately. First, there will be people there that can help you with whatever problems that arise. You'll also get a feel for what its like to race. And going to the track to get some practice laps in isnt much different from running around in the backyard - except that all the jumps are built already for you!!!

You sound pretty serious about trying out racing. So, I need to point something out: 1/8th scale buggies are THE most popular class. Best power to weight ratio, incredible handling, fast as hell, and tough as nails. They are far more expensive - the best ones are kits and you have to buy electronics and an engine seperately. Just about everyone that really gets into racing eventualy gavitates towards the buggies. Or truggies. Same thing applies to that class. I mention this because you may find that you are kicking yourself for getting an MT when you really wanted a buggy or truggy. Head over to the track BEFORE you buy anything. Then you can see what class is most interesting to you. Then you can start to look at individual models of vehicles.

At our club, 99% of every basher that tries out racing gets totally hooked. Sure, its fun to hang with a bud or two and drive around and take a few jumps. But its something altogether different when 40 (or more!) people show up at a race track and run a structured race. You want to know whether you or your buddy is the best driver? Sure, you can run around a bit at the park, but a race is the ultimate yard stick to measure driving ability.

EDIT: D'OH! oh yeah, welcome to the forums!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:44 AM
[email protected]

walk before you run, read as much as you can. I started with a nitro boat then a monster truck a nitro road car and one more nitro truck. I got my eye on one more monster truck. The wife hates my new hobby. Try to find another sucker to go in the hobby with you. I have my oldest son, so now I have a good time with my son and LOL even when we crash. Don't think about racing untill you get the hang of the hole rc thing. rctruckracer is right about all he said, I would also add have fun and injoy the rc thing first then race. I spent in one year about $1500 now that might not sound like a lot but I have a family of 5 and I spend $600 a month on food so my rc stuff gets put on hold sometimes.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:51 PM
RevoRage

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

I need to point something out: 1/8th scale buggies are THE most popular class. Best power to weight ratio, incredible handling, fast as hell, and tough as nails.
Your not the only one who has said this. That 1/8 scale buggies are the most popular class. I'm confused on why this is. I was always under the impression that one can do so much more with a monster truck, like jumps for example.
Your probably right that I should go down to the track and check it out for my own eyes and ask questions. That I will do sometime this week.
You asked me if I was married and if my wife was ok with me spending hours in the garage. Let me put it this way, she's used to it. But she was more than pleased to hear me say that I wanted to pick up this new hobby. Mostly for the reasons that this new hobby will be alot less money than my other hobby.
My other hobby for the past 3-4 years has been tuning my car. I completely rebuilt the engine, tranny, suspension, interior, body, everything. I was obsessed with my car for 3 years. So when my wife heard me say that I wanted to get out of working on my car and into something new, she was ecstatic. I told her that about $600 will get me started. She knows that that's a drop in the bucket compared to what I could potentionally spend on my car.
I'm ready for something new, and so is my wife. She tired of seeing me covered in grease and oil.

I am leaning towards the Revo 3.3. I've been told by the hobby stores that that's the most popular truck to race at the track. They also said if I don't have at least something like a Revo 3.3 I would more than likely be spectating rather than participating. I'm not sure if this is true, so I'm going to take your advice and go down to the track and find out.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:00 PM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get an LST2 from Killerhobbies.com - 569.99 is the price there... It's big, it's fast, and it's Ready To run with a great JR Radio.

The LST2 is a kick-ass truck, solid and reliable for bashing and for racing. I've got 2 of them, and a "Muggy" which is the hybrid version and I love em'

Out of the box, the Mach 427 pulls REAL strong and the radio control that is included in the LST2 package is actually worth a darn. You won't regret a purchase like that.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:39 PM
RCtruckRacer

Your not the only one who has said this. That 1/8 scale buggies are the most popular class. I'm confused on why this is. I was always under the impression that one can do so much more with a monster truck, like jumps for example.
If all you ever end up doing is building a big truck to take big jumps and get huge air, then an MT is the way to go. But there is nothing as nimble as an 1/8 buggy. They fly through the air with the greatest of ease... to quote a phrase. Nothing in nitro can take as big a jump with as short a take off as buggies (maybe a truggy). Lap times are usually around 20% faster or so with a buggy compared to an MT. Buggies aren't the best at running around in the backyard though. They have a very low center of gravity and a lot less ground clearance. Its a trade off between track and backyard ability.

Seriously, go to the track and check everything out. Who knows, maybe you will fall in love with the 4 wheel mod class. They are electric buggies that have totally unrealistic speed and handling. It takes an iron will, very steady hand and super fast reflexes to keep up with the guys that run that class!!! Every class in RC racing has something different to offer.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:08 PM
RCtruckRacer

walk before you run, read as much as you can.
No to the first part and YES to the second. I am not picking on you comeford2, and I will say there isn't a damn thing wrong with doing as you suggest. However...

You will learn as much in one race as you would in dozens of practice sessions at the track. Yes getting in those laps with few or no people is important to learn the lines, but actually racing is a whole nuther animal. Don't be like me. I had always wanted to try racing, but was too intimidated to try. I knew I sucked, and coming in last isn't very much fun. So I figured I'd practice like mad and then show up and at least be a couple places up from last. The race director convinced me to run in the 'novice' class for my first race, and I was glad he did. I didn't come in last, but I would have had no chance in the regular class. I learned more that day than any 20 days prior. And at the end of the day I could see where much of that practice time I had was wasted, at least from the perspective of helping me at the race.

If you think racing would be fun, there is no reason not to give it a try right off the bat. [8D] Take a few trips to the track to get used to whatever vehicle you get, and get used to the track, and then jump right in.

Then, when you get used to club racing you can try your hand at a large point series race. Such as RC Pro or a ROAR off road race, or you probably have a local series as I do. My first big race is coming up this next weekend. Its a 3 day race (one practice day) with about 150-200 people attending. Currently there are 268 entries. I am racing 2 classes - MT and 1/8th scale buggy.... its pretty addicting
Old 03-11-2007, 08:47 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id try the losi muggy truggy, or the aftershock, or lst2 all made by losi. You get computer radios with all of them the first 2 trucks being on the AM frequencies. The LST you get a FM syntheized radio with several frequencies to choose from on FM. The revo is good and highly racable with mods, the motors can be touchy to tune though, but if you can get some help breaking it in right and learning to tune thier motors they are very fast and reliable.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Alteramod

IMO if you got a buggy you would have some trouble at the track. Yes they are very very fast a handle very well. I know this cause I had one at one point in the past. I got rid of it though because they are the hardest to learn at a tracK IMO. They dont have much room for mistakes or you will be rolling and quite often. I find that stadium trucks are step down for handling at the track other than the rear wheel only and may spin out on ya. Monster trucks are higher so they can tip easier but ... they have good suspention to help with that, and they soak up bad landings better than the buggy or stadium truck class. Monster truck class is more for beginer for the reason they are the least hard to learn IMO and pry others opinions and buggys are the more experienced class because you have to know what your doing to get around on a track. Some of skills needed take some time to get used to and I would say get a good Stadium truck or Monster truck to start off with and then by a buggy and run that at the track a few times till your ready to move up to that level of experience.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:01 AM
johnny1333

what about a stampede?..........cheap, and a great beginner truck, if it is geared right and the right stuff put into it, i can compete with the big boys
Old 03-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Ken448

Youre in Columbus.... Go to CCRC and see which class is having the most fun! Youll more than likley notice it is the Monster Truck guys. Racing 1/8 scale and Stadium Trucks is fun, but its a big tire game, and most people actually act like it is their job rather than their hobby.

Im not going to recommend a specific car for you, because you need to go look around, talk and see what peaks your intrest the best. AND you need to see what your shop carries parts for. You WILL break it, especially since you are new. And you arent going to want to wait a week for parts to show up to get it running again. Almost all of the "big four" (Losi, HPI, Associated and Traxxas) replacment parts are pretty reasonable. You will notice everyone is going to tell you that the truck they own is THE best one out. They are all good in their own rights. Some are race or bash focused, others do both well. Lots of us have multiple trucks and cars, ask these guys at the track which truck is their favored one and why.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Dil

my advice would be a tnx, they are easy to maintain trucks, extremely fast outta the box, great easy to tune engine, excellent handling, what more can a noob want!! from what i learnt now, and if i went back to when i bought my first truck, i would have bought a tnx !!!,

but be sure if your hobby shop carries parts and stuff, most hobby shops in america dont stock parts for it from what i read,

your choice though!! just what i think
Old 03-12-2007, 08:41 AM
RCtruckRacer

what about a stampede?..........cheap, and a great beginner truck, if it is geared right and the right stuff put into it, i can compete with the big boys
In novice class perhaps. But no stampede will keep up with a GT or AD2, or a T4 if electric. CRCRC is a premier track. Ken has the right idea.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:11 PM
nitro fanatic

REVO I have the 2.5 with a tm323 I love it and it is a very good truck if you want to get into racing
Old 03-13-2007, 01:50 PM
jombo

not to start anything here but the easiest truck to tune and start is the lst2. maybe it was a wendsday truck or someone new what they were doing when they built mine but all i know the breakin went smooth and all i did was adj the lo and high speed needle for breakin and its run like a champ since. i have never had a radio glitck or engine problem with it either, maybe because the radio used is'nt am but one of the best fm systems out there.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Kevs Raptor 2

prepare to spend spend and spend,, thought when I got my truck, that was it, until crash and spend,, then it was " I want a bigger engine" I want this and I want that,,then crash & spend,, I did'nt really need to buy all these things,, just got sucked into it,, But you will love your truck when its flying about and all the money you've spent will all be forgotton,, its a love hate relationship,,, So my advise will be " Buy a truck and most of all have fun with it "
Old 03-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Ewanni

Very true. Wait til you get into multiple RC's. I just started with the MGT and went through one gallon. I'm already planning on an FOC change, better tires, stronger arms, and other things. I'm also thinking a Revo 3.3 later on, an RC18, a Micro T, and more things for my Stampede. I'd be insane to do all these at once, but they're all in my mind all at once.