Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
Prefer to work on them-- MORE POWER, just a little more!!!
16.67%
Prefer to run them-- The maintenance is a total PITA!!!
14.58%
Equally like both
66.67%
I hate this hobby and am getting out ASAP
2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Poll! Build em or run em?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll! Build em or run em?

Thought this would be interesting. I think I am in the minority here, but I like working on my RC's equally if not slightly more then running them. Pulling em apart, upgrading em, cleaning them, tuning them, etc. I really enjoy running them, but I honestly think I like the benchwork part of it slightly more.

What do you guys think-

1. Prefer to work on them-- MORE POWER, just a little more!!!
2. Prefer to run them-- The maintenance is a total PITA!!!
3. Equally like both
4. I hate this hobby and am getting out ASAP
Old 03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
2DMaxLST!!

Default RE: Poll! Build em or run em?

I honestly believe you have to enjoy working on them to be happy. I see people talk of doing no maintenance and then you see a video or watch them run in person and they are driving a bucket. In order to race SMT class half the battle is proper maintenance....
Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Ewanni

I like them both. I like cleaning and maintenence, but I also enjoy the raw power of the MGT in the dirt. I had some frustration with the blue axle things, but that's fixed. But that doesn't mean I don't like maintenence. I enjoy learning a bit more about how these things run each time I do a repair.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:51 AM
2DMaxLST!!

I do my own work on all my toys. I enjoy it very much. A great Saturday afternoon would be balancing the carbs on my V-maxx, cleaning and lubing the K&N on my quad and then cleaning and inspecting my R/C's, I freaking love it.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:18 PM
cobrajets

Love 'em both!! How can you not love it?? Build it.... Tune it.... Break it.... Repeat!! I just don't like the $ part of it!!!! ...............................iF whut 2D's signachorE am corect i must's be dummer then a turd?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:26 PM
maxxhell

it's all part of the hobby got to love it
Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 PM
2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: cobrajets

Love 'em both!! How can you not love it?? Build it.... Tune it.... Break it.... Repeat!! I just don't like the $ part of it!!!! ...............................iF whut 2D's signachorE am corect i must's be dummer then a turd?
Quite the opposite, it means you may be the smartest person here!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Working on them is only a means to an end for me - the end being to get outside and enjoy the smell of nitro in the morning(um.., more in the afternoon..) - i.e. run them.

There are certain factors that affect this though - the main one in my case being that my workshop is in my bedroom - um.., no - would be far more accurate to say "my bedroom is an RC garage".. I have to make sure to leave the windows open so it doesn't smell like old burnt nitro. Pebbles fall out of wheels, etc.. - not to mention what it looks like.

If I lived in the US and had a big house with a garage and a little refuge there where I could play with them, it might be different.

But even then it's still a means to an end - for me..
Old 03-12-2007, 04:12 PM
DaveG55

Patrick, I don't mean this as an attack, mearly an observation.
The "ends-to-a-means" thing is probably the source of much of your frustration with this hobby. It is a hobby and most hobbies are more than just the end result of, in this case, running the truck. Most people who really enjoy a hobby enjoy the minutia of the hobby they've chosen as much as the end result of the hobby. They often enjoy the minutia more than the end result.
Again, I'm not trying to pick on you, only saying that if you enjoyed the building, working, maintaince part more I believe you'ld have a lot less frustration.

As for me, I'd say I probably favor working on rc's 60% to 40% of driving.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
HerrSavage

Sorry Dave, I assure you whatever "frustration" (don't really know what you're talking about there..)I have in this hobby has FAR FAR more to do with German prices and my lack of financial responsibility over the last year or so than with working on trucks..

Was just in my room now changing a servo in on my Lightning GT. Was not particularly fun, but there are worse things one has to do..

And I still think it's more fun to throw a party than to pick up after it..

The latter you have to do of course, but it's far from my primary interest.

One thing I was kind of getting into over the winter was painting bodies - nothing special, just VERY basic spray-can stuff, but was kind of a nice project for a cold grey German weekend.. But make no mistake, I may enjoy in it a way, but it's a masochistic way.. Cutting out those bods is a PIA...
Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
DaveG55

It just seemed to me like most of the posts you've made deal with problems you've had with your trucks. Even in the more positive ones you seem to express disapointment that a part or vehicle would fail. Terms like "enjoy it in a maschostic way" don't exactly bring out visions of joy and I guess I interperted those kinds of things as frustration. If I'm wrong I appologize. As I said, I wasn't trying to pick on you and I'm glad you're enjoying part of the hobby. To each their own, right?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:08 PM
HerrSavage

If I felt as negatively about the hobby as the impression you somehow seem to have gotten, I would certainly have given up (and stopped spending money..) long ago. But, "ganz im Gegenteil" as the Germans say - exactly the opposite.. If anything I'm way TOO into it.. Having some teething issues with my X SS at the mome, but overall I LOVE it. Yesterday some things went wrong, but I'm sure everybody has those days. If anything I'm surprised I don't have more of them..

But enough about me - back to the poll......
Old 03-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Sugafree

I picked Equally like both, I Like to Wheel & Wrench.....
I really like to Help Others Fix there Trucks.....If I'm out at a bashing Spot and meet up with some other guys and Someones having Problems with there Truck or they'er just a Newb , It's fun to Help them Find and Fix there problems......Makes it a better Day when Everybody's Trucks are working and you'll have some New Friends to Run with......
Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
HerrSavage

That's an awesome attitude..
Old 03-12-2007, 08:06 PM
jombo

i like running them and think mantinance is a pita. not because i dont like taking them apart but its too time consuming, thats why i wait for a rainy day and fix them all. besides isnt that why most people here have more than one rc, if it breaks put it away and get another to play with.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:29 PM
mike54937

I love wrenching and driving the same... as long as I don't have to work on my Warhead!! I don't mind cleaning and working on my Jato or RC10GT but I have had far to many probs with the Warhead. Actually, I'm getting rid of the WH and getting a Revo. I think I will be a lot happier that way. But, all in all, I love every aspect of the hobby. Running a clean, well taken care of truck is a great way to spend a warm sunny day. Cleaning and repairing is an excellent way to spend a rainy cold day.

Mike
Old 03-12-2007, 09:37 PM
SOILWORK

I enjoy wrenching on them just as much as running them, but there are times when wrenching on them is just a big pain in the arse.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:06 PM
ICrashThings

I like wrenching and driving. Wrenching is fun for those rainy days or lazy sundays ya know? and driving is like for those picture perfect days and when u see something you made go like 40+ mph down the road...its a good feeling. :]
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
cobrajets

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

ORIGINAL: cobrajets

Quite the opposite, it means you may be the smartest person here!!!
Just ragging ya, 2D! You're always helpful to everyone, You always have a wealth of useful information, usually from personal experience it seems. That, in my book, means more than some guy who just started in the hobby and heard that somebody told him that is the only way something is to be done. I take everybodys opinions on these forums, and use what I think is best suited for me. I still need help. I'm just tryin' to get more personal experience myself(trial and error), 'cause I'd like to try racing this summer, and I got plenty of friends who want and need help! So, if you see I need help, don't hesitate to put in your '2D' cents. Oh yeah, and anyone else reading this too!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Wide Open

ive taken things apart ever since i was little. this just allows me to do it without my parents getting mad. and of course theres nothing much better than driving them so i voted that i like both.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 PM
farknben

I voted for "Equally like both" but honestly Id have to say 60 driving/40 maintaining
Old 03-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Chronic

I like building them mostly. I enjoy making and modifying parts and then seeing the changes that it makes... That's what started me into this hobby and it's still the part that I enjoy the most. General maintenance is something I like to stay on top of, but make no mistake about it, I don't get all warm and fuzzy about the idea of tearing all my trucks apart just to change fluids and replace bearings and such. That to me is just something that I have to do to keep enjoying the rest of the hobby.