Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

TMaxx Success!!! well it still needs a little work

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

TMaxx Success!!! well it still needs a little work

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 03:25 AM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMaxx Success!!! well it still needs a little work

As some of you know I've been having a lot of problems getting my new TMaxx to idle or start for that matter.

Well after reading through the help from my previous post and thinking a lot about the problem at hand I decided to go a different direction with my tuning.

Knowing the stock settings for the carb are 4 turns out HSN and 2 turns out LSN I decided to start going a little farther. I started today with the needles set at 4.5 turns out HSN and 2.5 turns out LSN. I also had the idle screw set at one turn out from bottom.

This got it running, but not very well. So I went to 5 turns out HSN and 2.5 turns out LSN. This helped a little.

I then went to 5.5 turns out HSN and 3 turns out LSN and it started to idle better and ran a lot better. So I left it there for a while and started hitting the dirt with it. I was able to get through 2 tanks of gas with only two stalls.

As it stands now I think the LSN is a little ritch and the HSN is a little lean still. The e-mail I got back from Traxxas says 4 turns out HSN (which is apparently way too lean) and the LSN should be even with with the inner ring (which means I'm way too ritch on the low end, but it's running).

What I learned was that you need to ritchen the crap out of the 2.5 to get it going correctly. I also learned that it is a very, very fun truck to drive when it's running well. Nothing like having half the block watching you play with your truck.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:47 AM
SINNER

If you are running in cold weather those rich settings are probably right. You have to richen a lot for cold temps
Old 02-20-2003, 03:50 AM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

yep, in cold weather your settings will need to be alot richer from the suggested ones. Nitro engines run sluggishly in the cold because of the rich settings.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:51 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

That's good news Wookie...Glad you got it going.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:11 AM
forcelite
My Feedback: (1)

I found that proper tuning is an art. Books help but are not the final answer.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:18 AM
crash_me_over

Originally posted by forcelite
I found that proper tuning is an art. Books help but are not the final answer.
You said a mouthful there!!! It's like Obi One Kanobi telling Luke Skywalker to use the force.....he finally did...but it was like pulling teeth to get him to do it.

Now...what did I just say...and mean? Who knows!

Actually...it is an art...allot of it can become easier once you know how a tuned engine sounds. It takes awhile to get that part down....but once you do....you'll always "USE THE FORCE".
Old 02-20-2003, 04:23 AM
forcelite
My Feedback: (1)

ya use me, ok ill stop
Old 02-20-2003, 04:27 AM
crash_me_over

LOL....If there are other guys near by who are good at tuning....that is a great way to get exposure and to learn how to do proper tuning. I always enjoy watching guys who know what they are doing.....as it makes for interesting learning.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:46 AM
aip_tuner

hmmm maybe i aught to try to do that, I am having the same probwith my new T-maxx!!! almost got a half galon trew it and still having trouble with it, a buddy of mine got a savage and it took 4 tanks to break it in less than one to get it tuned up and mannnnnn that thing is wicked on the hills (jumps) but still not as fast as me T-maxx (running like crap)hehe anywho Ill try it out!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Unstable

the thing with my savage is that when i crank it on a cold day it runs real rich so I would lean it out.... till it gets warmed up then it leans out... so I would have to richen it.

that .21 like to be hot before it starts putting out the horses. kinda like my old dodge...

im still getting used to tuning these ground based things... give me a airplane engine and I can get it running in the "sweet spot" in seconds.... these 4 wheeled things are a bit diffrent.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:41 PM
Dlock

Congrats Wookie. That's the exact same problem I had with mine. The factory setting were way to lean for my cold weather running. Even last night when I was running a couple of tanks through my truck. I ran my first tank, had it tuned just right and having a blast. I waited a while after the first tank, it got colder, and had to richen up my mixture on the second tank. This whole tunning thing is an art, but I think I and getting the hang of it. Keep at it and you will too!!!