Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Stock Savage HP is 2.3?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Savage HP is 2.3?????

Lets see if we can figure this thing out?

I have read several posts from people claiming the stock HP of a savage is around 1.7hp, making the Force 25 or the Hyper 8 ports an excellent choice for an upgrade. The HPI website clearly states the HP as 2.3 for the stock Savage.
Here is the link, scroll down to the bottom and see the two .21 engines offered by HPI. The first is the stock Savage .21 and the second is the Pro Star Nova .21

HPI racing

Go to option parts--> Nitro Options--> Engines.

I have also heard people say the 2.3hp rating is a mistake and is really the rating for the Pro Star Nova .21 engine but once again you can see in the link, HPI or Nova does not offer HP ratings on that engine, so that shoots that theory down. Has anyone emailed HPI on this? I'm trying to decide on an engine upgrade and all the research I've done says its not worth it for 2/10 hp
Old 02-22-2003, 09:41 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THEY LIE..

Well not really but that statement is only true
IF you use BRAND X fuel at 12334 feet in lattitude 123 and longitude 34.2.
You have to run it for 32 hours at 23000 rpm and after 3 minutes of cooling you'll get that kind of power..

Hope you get the idea lol

NONE of the manufacturers give you specs correctly. Most derive them using complex formulas.. Taylor approximations anyone? lol

Hope it helps
-ram
Old 02-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya'. the thing I always wondered is how is horsepower an accurate descrption of power output with these engines? the formula for horsepower is measured based on 5252 rpms

HP = torque * RPM / 5252

Now seeing as how HP is only a ficticious number used to describe out put, and most RC engines idle higher than 5000 rpm anyway, it seems HP isnt the best unit of desciption to use to rate our RC engines. I dont think any HP eating is accurate when speaking of high revvers.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:36 PM
LooneyTunes

I agree that figure is bogus. Most people agree that ~1.7HP is a more realistic figure. But in HPIs defense, HPI is not coming up with these figures on their own. The manufacturer of the engines supplies HPI with the figures. On the other hand, if I was putting my name on someone elses' product, I would double check any of their claims.

LT
Old 02-22-2003, 11:54 PM
LooneyTunes

Just in case anyone wondered how horsepower is calculated and how torque and horsepower relate to each other, here is a pretty good primer .

LT
Old 02-23-2003, 12:27 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Primer? THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!! LOL
THANKS MAN!
I would post this as a separate thread!

Thanks again!
-ram
Old 02-23-2003, 06:29 PM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

Default LS1

Hey after reading the above "primer", sort of makes me wish I could bolt my vettes LS1 into my savage LOL.

Actually, it would probably be easier to make my vette into a full scale savage LOL
Old 02-23-2003, 07:21 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

it is 1.7bhp.