Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

What should I grab?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 02:52 PM
PetrolisTasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I grab?

I've got that tingly urge again, that urge to empty my pockets!

I'm wanting a new truck, something durable, and something with a lot of power. Speed's a good factor to have, and some decent suspension. And RTR.

I'm kind of leaning towards the CEN Genesis 46, due to the impressive youtube videos, 5 horsepower output, and all of that steering servo torque.

But, some of the Losi trucks look nice.

What do you guys think I should get?

(I have 500$ to spend.)

Oh, and one more thing... I've been looking for a nice, classic style radio, you know, one stick for acceleration, one for turning, ect... What do you people think?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Alteramod

Default RE: What should I grab?

well not sure if you could get a cen for 500 bucks but I know you CANT get a lst2 for 500 unless you buy it used. I think the new savage x 4.6 looks good and mgts are pretty nice also. Not sure what revos run for but I think it may be a bit more than 500. Savage is like 430 and a mgt is 399 and if you get the mgt I recommend a lst2 ht pipe or hpi tuned pipe. It will make it so much more responsive and I noticed that the forward only in it made it better on the bottom/mid range areas. Estimated total for mgt with foc and hpi pipe.... 475.

I think that pistol grip is way better than a two stick jobby. If you think you would have trouble with a pistol then ok but you will find that they are easy to use.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:20 PM
PetrolisTasty

Savages are just really heavy. Sometimes too heavy for their engine. They have pretty good suspension, but.. Meh.

Ah, pistol sticks just don't feel right to me.

Anyways. What are your opinions on the Genesis idea? I found one for 500 RTR.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Alteramod

There was a post awhile ago for a guy who wanted decent speed and some off road and maybe a little racing and the cen had the most votes last time I looked. I have never owned a CEN or seen one in person but the people who own their newer ones dont have many complaints if any. I guess they are fast and tough so I think that if you found one for that price then I would get it. Just make sure they have good pictures of under the body cause thats what matters.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:30 PM
PetrolisTasty

I'll be using it almost always offroad, so, I guess I'll grab the Genesis. Some nice, ground-grabbing tires and 5 HP to work with will be nice.

On another subject, what tires would you people reccomend for offroad and onroad?

Paddle tires will work for sand and mud, I'm just thinking about rock and dirt now.

On yet another subject..

How long do you guess it'll take for the engine to wear out on this thing?

Here's the link...

http://www.hungates.com/CEN%20Genesi...r%20Truck.html
Old 05-13-2007, 06:02 PM
CrazyMento

PetrolisTasty

I have the CEN GST 7.7 and its been awesome. Its very durable and fun. The engine is really torque, truck wheelies on demand, not to mention the size over the other 1/8 trucks. All the truck does about the same top speed and suspension is all adjustable. I pikced GST becasuse its the biggest and most powerful. Once you go with a big truck, you cant go back to smallers ones.

If you look around, you might be able to find one for $500. Losi is out of questions as it will be almost $600

P.S. you will never find a RTR truck with Stick radio now days. At least not in USA...
Old 05-13-2007, 06:04 PM
PetrolisTasty

What horsepower does it put out? RPM on it? Speed? Turning servo torque?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Alteramod

for the losi trucks I cant think of what horsepower it puts out but its the .427 which is an awesome motor and pretty reliable. As for the radios in the losi..... you find any better radio that comes in a rtr. The radio gear alone is like 200 bucks or something like that.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:59 PM
PetrolisTasty

I was talking about the GST.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Chronic

The link in post #5 is to the old Genesis, not the GST. If you are going with one of the CEN MTs then get a later Nemesis or the GST. I would pick the Nemesis myself, but the GST is kind of cool too. Very beefy build, three speed, lockable center diff with dual brake setup, TVP construction... some nice stuff.

The engine in the Genesis and Nemesis is/was also advertised as having 5hp, but it got spanked in the HP department by a lot of the decent .28s when tested on the same dyno by one of the magazines. It does however make HUGE torque(as much as the Hot Mod Novarossi .28), but the truck weighs 17lbs, so it's somewhat of a necessity and not a luxury. Don't fall for the big advertising numbers, these trucks aren't any more impressive than their competition in that regard.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:37 PM
PetrolisTasty

That settles it, then. GST. Ordering now.

You're right, it is a 17 pound truck. But that adds to the momentum. And besides, trucks half this size don't have motors half this size.

GST seems like it's gonna chew up my old trucks.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:52 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: PetrolisTasty

That settles it, then. GST. Ordering now.

You're right, it is a 17 pound truck. But that adds to the momentum. And besides, trucks half this size don't have motors half this size.

GST seems like it's gonna chew up my old trucks.

Man you are going to LOVE this truck. I love mine, it is bad to the bone! I'm excited for you, just waiti till you actually drive it, you won;t want to drive your other trucks any more just like crazymento said! Smart choice on the GST!
The only truck i'd buy over a GST is my 1/5 scale FG MT and thats 3 times as much as the GST.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 PM
PetrolisTasty

Yeah. The videos freaked me out. I saw one go sideways up a 80 degree dirt wall and drive for about four feet on it untill it drove off.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Alteramod

Yeah its pretty impressive as to what these trucks are capable of. Main reason I stay in the monster truck area. I wish I had a video camera so I could get some vids of my new bash spot.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a video og my GST, i had to video tape and drive at the same time but i'll make an even better one with more extreme bashing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crgYDMq3esY