Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Backyard basher for under $600?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Backyard basher for under $600?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
crashman44b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backyard basher for under $600?

I'm going to get a new truck and Im not sure what I want.I have a T-maxx which is great when its not broken.Its also a POS to tune.(Im new to the hobby so give me a break when I say that). I have a 3.3/w carb to put on it and hope that will help some but the bottom line is I really want a new truck. I want something tuff,easy to tune that I can get aftermarket parts for easy.I leaning towards a monster gt 4.60 by ae now.I do like some of the tuggys like a Mantis or a mutilator also well. The warhead looks pretty solid and I know know hpi makes some good trucks to.What would you guys get?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Backyard basher for under $600?

Stay away from DURATRASH.......
Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
crashman44b

Ok,warhead is out the window. And I won't get a revo,my buddy just got one and I like to be diffirent. I do like his 3.3 in there,thats why I got one.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:03 PM
sfar785

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under $600? you have alot of stuff you can find for that....LST2, Aftershock and Muggy....MGT, Revo, T-Maxx, Savage...i'll save you some time...go [link=http://Here...it's Tower Hobbies [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0097P]here[/link]
Old 05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
crashman44b

ORIGINAL: sfar785

Under $600? you have alot of stuff you can find for that....LST2, Aftershock and Muggy....MGT, Revo, T-Maxx, Savage...i'll save you some time...go [link=http://Here...it's Tower Hobbies [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0097P]here[/link]

Yes,I know about all these trucks,I am a rookie in the hobby but I do the research awful well.You didn't read my first post to well.No harm no foul. Still leaning towards the gt 4.60 after watching video and reading reveiws.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:59 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

I have this, but the older brother
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=846
You can get it from stormer hobbies for under 300, wen tower has it for 429
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=HOT55007
That truck is unstoppable, lots of power, i would jump on it if i had 600!

Or if you want something that has little to no tuning, larger than life, no glow plugs, no lighter, gas is only $3

There are tons of 1/5th trucks on eBay for 439-529 brand new.

There is no comparing, 2-3 pulls an zoom zoom!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:01 PM
jonnymac

You won't go wrong with the monster GT very tough easy to tune truck. The LST2 is a better package, but more expensive. You will be pleased with either of those two
Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could get a Hot Bodies Lightning GT(see the current RCU review...) right now for $299 at www.stormerhobbies.com...

Then you could buy the 1/10 version for 200 bucks at www.ultimatehobbies.com, plus a couple gallons fuel, and you'd be good to go...

But seriously, the big LGT is a good basher. Just needs 60wt oil in the shocks and the blue springs, and you've got a solid basher.. Engine's not THE strongest, but hell, get an Axial 29 with your left-over money... You'd then STILL have enough left over to get a decent body for it... Then you'd STILL be ahead...

Anyway, it IS a solid truck. Almost Savage-tough I'd say....
Old 05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

You could get a Hot Bodies Lightning GT(see the current RCU review...) right now for $299 at www.stormerhobbies.com...

Then you could buy the 1/10 version for 200 bucks at www.ultimatehobbies.com, plus a couple gallons fuel, and you'd be good to go...

But seriously, the big LGT is a good basher. Just needs 60wt oil in the shocks and the blue springs, and you've got a solid basher.. Engine's not THE strongest, but hell, get an Axial 29 with your left-over money... You'd then STILL have enough left over to get a decent body for it... Then you'd STILL be ahead...

Anyway, it IS a solid truck. Almost Savage-tough I'd say....
I think he means the axial .28
Old 05-15-2007, 02:37 PM
HerrSavage

Yope..., that's what I meant..
Old 05-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Hey dont throw the Warhead off of your list. The new EVO I heard is fiannly up to par with the competiton.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:19 PM
crashman44b

Well guys, I trying to buy a new house as well and the LST2 is alittle to pricy but looks well worth the money.I like the looks alot better and everything else but is it worth 200 more then a GT?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:26 PM
HerrSavage

The LST2 is undoubtedly a better truck IMO, no doubt. It's faster, for one thing, and just has a more aggessive and impressive presence, stance, and overall performance... But is it worth basically TWICE the price of the LGT?? That's a tough call.. Owning both, I would be inclined to say, if all you want to do is bash around with a fun hassle-free truck, the answer is no. Just my opinion though... Depends on your finances.. If cash is tight, LGT. If not, LST(plus Dynamite engine brace of course, which is a must....)
Old 05-15-2007, 05:28 PM
jonnymac

The radio is the biggest factor being FM and synthsized. I think it also comes with twin steering servos (though not sure so check this out). The engine is faster but the Monster GT engine is pretty good itself. Both engines tune well and produce good power.
Otherwise they're pretty equal. the LST2 is slightly better in some areas but you probably wouldn't notice unless you race it.
It is worth it but if you can live with an AM radio then the MGT provides better value due to its low cost. I got an MGT and spent the difference improving it and I would say mine is now the equal to any LST2.
Like I said if you can afford the LST2 it is better but is it $200 better? I say no but it depends on what you want.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:34 PM
HerrSavage

Oh - oops... He meant the "M",and not the "Lightning"....
Old 05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
crashman44b

The LST2 does come with dual steering servos,and I did like that.Is the LST2 that much faster than a gt? Sounds like they are both tuff trucks.So the LST2 makes better power and handles better. But just for backyard bashing, is it that much better? How do they both fly?I think its an even race now in which one I'll get. .The LST2 is a better racer which I might want to do in the future.Tuff call.THANKS A TON FOR THE INPUT GUYS.keep it comin!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:46 PM
HerrSavage

The Lightning GT also has dual steering servos...

Looking back at your original post, I would say Savage X SS.. It really is the best basher going...

But now you've said you want to race, in which case the LST2 defo has the upper hand....

I would take the "if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly..." approach, and go for either of the above two...

If you want a budget alternative though - which is also supposedly a great truck - get the MGT. ICheap, and has a great rep.. If you wnat something different that nobody else has, and the chance to buy it at nearly HALF price - fo r a good solid reliable basher, get the Lightning GT...
Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
jonnymac

Well to give you an idea my MGT I got second hand. I dithced the old .21 engine (it was an older model) and put a mach 427 (LST2) engine and pipe in. I replaced all the suspension arms and knuckles with RPM ones and bought some proline wheels and dirtbonz tires. I also put 40 weight oil and stronger springs on. The whole lot set me back about £250 ($500) Bear in mind an LST2 would cost about £500 ($1000) here in England.
It was tough in the first place and even tougher now. It wheelies on demand (which it will do with the stock .28 engine too) and handles superbly.
If you are bashing the stock truck is great if you want to race be prepared to change a few things like I listed.
Like I said above both are very good it just depends what you want out of it 'out of the box' and if you are prepared to upgrade it yourself. For me it was a no brainer.
The MGT looks a lot better too IMO
Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 PM
jonnymac

As for the others they are both a lot smaller (lightning and savage). The savage is tough with excellent aftermarket support. It does not come as standard with reverse and again comes with AM radio. The lightning is a good truck but aftermarket support is limited. its a case of replace anything broken with replacement stock items.
They are good but IMO the LST2 and MGT are bigger and better
Old 05-15-2007, 06:05 PM
HerrSavage

The LGT is at least as big as an LST2(and yet MUCH lighter...) Much bigger than a Savage yes, but probably bigger than an MGT even...

Old 05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
jonnymac

Ok I must have been thinking of an older lightning truck. Sorry
Old 05-16-2007, 10:31 AM
redfox03

i have the mgt 4.60, very nice truck and i love it. the lst 2 is also a really good truck, and it comes with some pretty top notch radio gear to boot. both of those are big trucks that are easy to maintain and very tough. also check out the savage x SS.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:46 PM
FrankB2

I have a Lightning GT10, and getting the most basic of replacement parts has become a real nightmare: I broke a front shock tower 4 weeks ago, and
still can't get one from Ultimate Hobbies. I called HPI and they said they have "Tons of them" in stock, but Ultimate keeps telling me that theyare
having a hard time getting parts from HPI...?!?!?!?![:@][:@][:@]!!!! I've spoken with both parties at least twice per week for the past 3 weeks, and
no results at all, just the same old song and dance!!!!

Having said that, the Lightning GT10 is a great truck!!!! In order to break the front shock tower I had to make a full speed pass at my Ford Focus's
front tire. I thought the whole truck would be toast, but just needed to glue the shock tower halves back together. I've been running it ever since, but
haven't really done much jumping. I have a piece of sheet aluminum standing by, and will probably cut a shock tower from that.

The 1/8 Lightning GT is carried by Tower, and they have all of its replacement parts in stock. I should have bought that truck, but was assured
by HPI and Ultimate Hobbies that they had reams of spares for the GT10[&:]. If Stormer has the Lightning GT for $299, I might grab that. Thanks
for the tip, Patrick!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM
FrankB2

YEEHAA!!! I just called HPI/HB for the 10th time, and flipped. They agreed to mail a new shock tower for free. YEAH!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OOh my I cannot believe no one has suggested the GST 7.7, come on now!
Seriously get yourself a GST 7.7 or a LST2, both top of the line trucks! You'll love either one! I have both!

GSt 7.7 - HUGE, 3 speed tranny, 5 HP, tons of torgue, very durable, and FAST.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.