Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Which Air filter to get for the Savage?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Which Air filter to get for the Savage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 12:16 AM
Remote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Air filter to get for the Savage?

Looking at diffrent after market air filters for the HPI Savage and wondering which one will fit. Will a filter with a 90 degree elbow fit or do I get one that has no elbow on it.
Thanks...
Old 03-02-2003, 08:57 PM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

Motorsaver, K&N, HPI High Performance Air Filter...they will all work just fine. If you do a lot of off-roading in dirty conditions I would go with the HPI because it has an extra layer of foam on the outside.
Some people don't care for how the filter elbow puts the filter near the gears. There is a guy on eBay that sells longer elbows that extend the filter more forward and out of the way.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:22 PM
Remote

Default Thanks.............

Thanks for your help......
Old 03-03-2003, 04:10 AM
Easy rider

remote :

go with the K&N !!! they are the best ! stock filter sucks, when you buy a SAVAGE you buy a K&N filter.

the filter is a very important thing, it protects your engine from all dirt.

david.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:09 AM
dainjarouz

a K & N filter is the absolute WORST type of filter you can get for RC.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:50 PM
LandShark

K&N is what i am using because i dont really run my truck

on fine-powdered dirt. otherwise K&N is good. it has really high

air flow, also it has the coolest looking.

my suggestion, buy a K&N and a hpi high per.. filter(for dusty running)
Old 03-03-2003, 10:16 PM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

Default K&N

K&N.... the only way to go.

I trust K&N in my Vette, K-1500 and ZX-9R, and yes my Savage too.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:24 AM
dainjarouz

K&Ns are made for 1:1 gas cars. Guys, dont be foolish, do you know what type of air filters dirt bikes have? FOAM FILTERS!!! theres a reason for that, they are small 2-4 stroke engines that run in different conditions than a car.

Gauze filters are honestly the worst thing you can get for RC. Especially if you run in dirty, dusty conditions alot. Guess what type of air filters pre-runners use? yessss foam filters! some guys that have run K&N in their RCs and swore by them have torn down their engines and found grime and caked on crud all over it. But i guess to each his own. if you want the eye candy go ahead and get it. but youve been warned!!!

Oh and if you want that eye candy, you can get a foam filter from the 2 stage filters and place it over the K&N for a little extra protection.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:57 AM
savageone

The elbow and distance away from the engine don't help the K&N's cause out much, either. I'm running it in my Savage now and haven't had any problems yet, but I don't care about the engine. Upgrading it anyway.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:43 AM
elbowcreek

K-N is the way to go they are available with a foam pre-filter for trapping that fine dust just make sure to clean it good after every day of running and reoil it they make a brace for it also to keep it away from the gears an aluminum bracket with a hole in it for the filter to go through and keep it in place
Old 03-05-2003, 03:49 AM
savageone

elbowcreek- where do you get the foam prefilter?
Old 03-05-2003, 07:22 AM
ridethelightnin

I put a K&N on my Titan and it also came with a foam cover for the K&N. The K&N seems to flow better than the stock foam filter too.

I would recommend a K&N but put the foam cover over it for the added protection.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:40 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

but if you add the foam filter on top of the original, arent u ruining some of the airflow?
Old 03-05-2003, 07:55 AM
ridethelightnin

Yes you are restricting some of the airflow but from what I could measure from my stock element, the K&N still seemed to flow better. I think the reason for this is the K&N has a slightly larger filter area than my stock foam filter element.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:46 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CaseyDDR
but if you add the foam filter on top of the original, arent u ruining some of the airflow?

You may be, but remember this is 3.5cc engine, its not exactly a monster that needs oodles of air flow. While I can see how most of us would love to think we have super high output racing engines the require super amounts of flow, the actual flow requirements of these engines is very small.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:21 PM
savageone

I still want to know where you get the foam pre-filter. And if there is no need for the extra airflow, why buy the K&N anyway? I put the K&N on my Savage, my engine is toast, and I just bought the Motorsaver at my lhs. I wish I'd just done that to begin with and saved the $40 I spent on the K&N.
The Motorsaver looks sweet. I haven't put it on yet, but it's huge and looks like it will work great. Should be mucho air flowing through there, and everyone seems to recommend the Motorsaver the best.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:53 PM
rcfireman
My Feedback: (1)

dainjarouz, you are correct!!!!! K&N air filters are not a good idea for RC trucks. The so called K&N air filter is really a crank case breather filter that is made for motorcycles????????? ***?!?!?!?!?!?! It would be in your best interest to run a filter that is made for a nitro engine. The HPI performance filter is a very good filter. BTW, it is made by the same company that makes Motorsaver air filters.

Yes, I know that K&N air filters look cool, but how cool is it going to look when it causes you destroy your engine?!?!?!?!?!? people will do what they want regardless of the information that they have, so just have fun. Do me one favor, when you destroy your motor due to the K&N "crank case breather" filter that you have on it, please post some pictures of the melt down!!!!!!!! They will be worth a thousand words, or in my case a thousands laughs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:19 AM
creeping death

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dainjarouz
[B]K&Ns are made for 1:1 gas cars. Guys, dont be foolish, do you know what type of air filters dirt bikes have? FOAM FILTERS!!! theres a reason for that, they are small 2-4 stroke engines that run in different conditions than a car.
dirt bikes come stock with foam filters, which sit in air boxes(not good air flow)... but, if you want better performance, you use k&n filters, oil the pleats, and use an outerwear, or cut out a piece of panty hose...thats what I use on my banshee, and the difference is there.you could do this for rc's, get better performance, but lose in the looks factor because they don't make 1/8 scale, or 1/10 scale outerwears.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:48 PM
AdamB

Hey, not to beat a dead horse but....

My riding mower air filter is also foam, but I don't consider it a high performance mower

I took apart my .21 Nitro Star to port it out a bit. Was planning on replacing the bearings etc., but discovered no excessive wear on anything, or any dirt. The only thing was a little extra oil or whatever on the carb neck. I use the actual K&N oil and cleaner that I've gotten for full size vehicles. I do clean it often And yes, I run the K&N filter w/o any foam or anything else on top. I also run a K&N filter in my Ninja ZX-9R which I've run on the beach's down in Florida during bike week. Lots of sand everywhere, especially in the ram air tunnel but not in the motor.

I've run my savage through dirt, sand, mud, snow, salt (at DOT sheds, ssshhhh don't tell) etc. I've gotten sand and such in the transmission, and ruined a couple servos, but nothing was in the motor.

In my opinion, the K&N works fine. BTW, the dirtier it gets, the more filtering it does...

Just my $.02
Old 03-11-2003, 11:26 PM
creeping death

dirt bikes come stock with foam filters set in air boxes...for performance many of us switch to k&n's, oil the pleats, and use an outerwear or cut some pantyhose out to put over. way better breathing than foam, and it doesn't let dirt in...so for rc's, use an outerwear of some sorts, and use k&n oil, not foam oil. you may lose the looks with pantyhose over it, but will breath much better.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:46 AM
savageone

This thing has turned into a big long argument on the worth of K&N air filters. No problems with that, I just think that's funny!
Old 03-13-2003, 06:52 AM
BiG SaVaGe C

Cool I have been a member for 15 mins and one of my questions is already answered. THANKS GUYS. :thumbup:
Old 03-13-2003, 09:45 PM
AdamB

Hey Big Savage C,

Welcome...

Remember, nobody has all the right answers all the time, but I'm mostly right most of the time J/K

Seriously, the reason these forums are so great is that you get to hear (read) many varied opinions... and then choose for yourself.

Choose well, and have fun!