Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Which truck for me? MGT, LST2, Revo3.3, or Savage 4.6?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Which truck for me? MGT, LST2, Revo3.3, or Savage 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
vass151

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which truck for me? MGT, LST2, Revo3.3, or Savage 4.6?

Hi, I'm trying to decide what truck to get based on what I want to do with it. I see myself bashing only really, no racing at all. Maybe run on the local track a bit but mostly tearing up my backyard and construction sites. My main concerns are ease of tuning, durability, availability of parts, and price of course, but I'd like to stay under $550..

The MGT looks very good to me and people seems to think its a great truck. I'll be using my 3PM 2.4 radio so the radio quality does not matter that much to me. Maybe resale value or something.

I was set on a revo 3.3 but i'm failrly new to nitro and the tuning and breakage stories i've been reading about the 3.3 is scaring me away from it. I'd like a tough, reliable truck.

MGT, LST2, Revo 3.3, Savage 4.6, or Cen GST7.7? Which one would be good for me? Also I'm in my early 40's so I do have a good amount of patience with tuning, but don't want a super finicky engine.

Thanks for any input you can give!

Vass
Old 06-04-2007, 11:44 AM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which truck for me? MGT, LST2, Revo3.3, or Savage 4.6?

id take the lst2 just b/c its such a nice truck for anything. the lst2 engine is pretty ease to tune and i think the truck it very easy to work on. ive heard alot of good things about a mgt but never ran one in person. the cen is either a love it or hate it truck and not many lhs carry cen parts so most order parts online. thats fine if you dont mind waiting for parts. i have a tmaxx and i replace pretty much all the plastic on the truck b/c it all broke. so it has alot of money in it. so i dont recommend traxxas trucks for bashing. i have yet to brake anything on my lst2 and if anything does break ill just replace the stock b/c it so much more durable that my tmaxx.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:47 AM
webdr

ORIGINAL: vass151

Also I'm in my early 40's so I do have a good amount of patience with tuning.

Hey! what are you trying to say??!!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:01 PM
vass151

ORIGINAL: webdr

Also I'm in my early 40's so I do have a good amount of patience with tuning.

Hey! what are you trying to say??!!
Sorry man, was not trying to offend
Old 06-04-2007, 05:01 PM
redfox03

go for the monster gt, i have one and it's great. also, check out the lst 2.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Muggy250r

lst2 great truck........fast good basher/racer.........easy to tune......
Old 06-04-2007, 07:49 PM
rob123

Go with the savage x, lst2, mgt4.6, gst7.7 or warhead evo. If you are looking to have fun and bash, Those vehicles would be your best bet!!!!!!!![sm=thumbup.gif]Which ever one you get you won't go wrong.[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 PM
MrN8

The MGT will give you the most for your money. You've already got a good radio for it, so you won't need to spend any money on that. For bashing, I'd say just pick up some stiffer springs and FT shock caps. If you need replacement parts, Tower has a good stock, but eBay is full of parts for a good price.

The stock tires are great for jumping, but aren't all that stable in turns. Maybe pick up some offset 40 series wheels and Big Joes, Dirt Hawgs, or Mashers. For standard size, look at Losi Zombie Maxx or Pro-Line Badlands.

My MGTs have been great bashers. I let friends use the 2nd one and they abuse them like crazy. The only thing that's been broken so far are the bumper extensions and spur gears from inexperienced drivers driving at full-throttle all the time.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Bria1

Sounds like either the MGT or LST2 would be good for you. Both can bash or race. The LST2 is a better racer than the MGT, but the MGT can hold its own. Since you don't need a radio, if you get a LST2 you could sell the JR XS3 and easily get around 100 for it recoop some money. I have a MGT and have friends with LST2s. You can't go wrong with either truck.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Elite_Tux487

Go for the MGT I just got mine today and its a BIG BEAST for the money. The Chassis Layout was definitely well thought out allowing for easy access to everything. I would have gone for the lst2 probably but the price was a bit out of range. I got the mgt, a quart of fuel, 2 extra plugs, FOC, a hump rx battery pack and 8 AAs for 460 bucks
Old 06-04-2007, 10:50 PM
rob123

I read you (elite)and your wright: I own the Losi lst2,cen gst7.7 and I just got my new tnx5.2r about two or three days ago. I am vere happy with all of them, But I had my eye on that mgt for some time, I really like the way it looks and the way it stand. I have seen it run; vere impressive. That is going to be my next truck, After that im going to stop there my wife thinks im building a garage, She starting to chew me out. (LOL)[sm=angel_smile.gif]
Old 06-04-2007, 11:35 PM
rob123

Hey (vass151) also that cen gst7.7 truck is awsome verey solid truck for bashing. I know, I own one and I am verey impress with it. If you ever decide to buy one give it a shot you will not be dissapointed, It is a sleeper.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I personally vote Savage X and LST2 for you based on your parameters. The Savage would be more durable than LST2, but believe it or ot, the LST2 can hold its own bash-wise. Second to Savage and LST, I would suggest MGT.

These three trucks have a leg up on the others primarily because of parts availability, ease of maintenance and fixing, and the availability of aftermarket and hop-up options. Parts are very cheap and can be bought at the local store and you can put your truck back on road again in less than 30min whenever you break something.

CEN, Warhead, and others do not have this kind of support. There are very few aftermarket upgrade parts for customization. Also, you have to predict which parts will be broken the most and based on that, buy these replacement parts on-line. Otherwise, you will have to order them as they break and wait for the parts to be mailed to you. Very few stores carry these trucks; much less their replacement parts.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 AM
vass151

Thanks for all the excellent info from everyone! It is really helping me out. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the MGT or LST2.

Updated thoughts for me on each:
MGT:
Price is excellent
Bashability is excellent
Looks like a real truck, I lov e the look of it and how it sits.
I love Associated stuff, I have a T4 now.
Parts availability. My local shops near me have parts for it readily available. Not the case for the LST2 and noone carries the truck to actually see it. MGT's are local at all 3 shops and I've seen a few run.
I have seen in a few pics where the gear case is open and exposed? Are there any problems here? Seems like rocks and debris would get in.

LST2:
Not crazy about the price, or the fact that I already have the exact same radio system that is in it. Don't really need another.
It looks more for racing to me still, I will never race formally at all and I feel the extra hop-ups are more race oriented. Dunno.
I'm not crazy about the look of it really, it looks almost rounder to me and "balloony".
Looks like a tough truck though. I just can't get over the fact that I'm paying for the XS3. I'd have to mail order it and I'm not crazy about dropping $600 on something unseen.

thanks again for any input it helps allot!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Sugafree

LST2:
Not crazy about the price, or the fact that I already have the exact same radio system that is in it. Don't really need another.
It looks more for racing to me still, I will never race formally at all and I feel the extra hop-ups are more race oriented. Dunno.
I'm not crazy about the look of it really, it looks almost rounder to me and "balloony".
Looks like a tough truck though. I just can't get over the fact that I'm paying for the XS3. I'd have to mail order it and I'm not crazy about dropping $600 on something unseen.

Well you can Get the LST2 at A-Main or Killer Hobbies for $560, And if you Sell the XS3 Still in the Box that Comes with the Truck....... Well you just Saved your self even More Money........
Old 06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
vass151

ORIGINAL: Sugafree

LST2:

Well you can Get the LST2 at A-Main or Killer Hobbies for $560, And if you Sell the XS3 Still in the Box that Comes with the Truck....... Well you just Saved your self even More Money........
I have considered this, I just wish one of the 4 local shops here sold LST2's so I could see one. As stated I'm not crazy about dropping $560 on something I can't see first. This is the major dilema of mine. I'm sure I'd like the LST2 but want to see one is all. I want to make sure its not overkill for me.