Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Clutch Bells.. Which one is the right one?They dont say "Fits XX brand" How to choose

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Clutch Bells.. Which one is the right one?They dont say "Fits XX brand" How to choose

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 05:53 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Bells.. Which one is the right one?They dont say "Fits XX brand" How to choose

I'm looking for a 15-16 or 17T clutch bell for my Mugen 4XR buggy.

Till now I've always dealt with parts that are pretty well classified.. "Fits brand x, y but not Z" etc..

But no one says anything about clutch bells!

The more I look the more I'm thinking "How the hell do I know if this will fit?"

Thanks for your responses!!
-ram
Old 03-09-2003, 03:22 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Clutch Bells.. Which one is the right one?They dont say "Fits XX brand" How to choose

Oh come on guys! this is a very valid question and I'm waiting on your answer to start looking for one! If not I'll be forced to purchase a 15 T and stop there.
Please help!
-ram
Old 03-09-2003, 08:13 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any 1/8 scale clutch bell should fix (excluding kyosho kit bell). Any one from Megatech, Ofna, and Thundertiger will fit. The gear pitch are the same for all of them. Just make sure the bell is roughly the same overall length. At the same time, pick up a clutch shim kit.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:19 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

What is a clutch shim kit?

Btw.. my clutch bell doesnt align very well with the pinion gear.

Is that what the shim kit is for?

I dont know.. I guess I'd like it to be a perfect mesh
Thanks man!!
ram
Old 03-09-2003, 09:53 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

I dont know about your truck. I have a Tmaxx and I buy the traxxas clutch bells for tmaxx from tower hobbies, since they are traxxas and made for the tmaxx I know these will fit my truck.

Joe
Old 03-10-2003, 03:23 AM
i8tweety

FYI - Ram (Buggies_R_Us) has a mugen 1/8 scale buggy.

The shim kit is used to properly align the outside clutch bearing with the end of your engine's pilot shaft.

When you say it doesn't line up well, how bad is it? Does the clutch bell come in contact with the entire spur gear?
Old 03-10-2003, 10:18 PM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

I'll try to answer this again (I did 3 times, but it didn't post??)

Anyway, I bought a 16t for my savage that was recommended on this site. The person said any 1/8 scale would fit. Negative. The one I ordered (Ofna 16t was 4 mm larger dia than stock 14t.

I learned the hard way to use the tech section (if provided) on Tower Hobbies site.

I'll sell you the below listed 16t (18mm) for 1/2 price if it'll suit your needs. Never used.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBL94&P=7
Old 03-10-2003, 10:38 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

well About 60-70% of the two gears are in contact. I'm not comfortable running it that way at full speed especially while racing. I'm just breaking it in right now and its under light loiad so I'm leaving it there.

I'm gonna go to the Bigger hobby store up in kennesaw tonight..

I'll ask those guys for a shim kit or something for that.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:07 PM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

you should just be able to get it right with the engine mounts. Thats the way mp is, the engine slides back and forth in the mounts and the mounts slide left to right on the chassis
Old 03-10-2003, 11:48 PM
i8tweety

Ram,

If you turn the engine mounts around, does the situation get better or worse?
Old 03-11-2003, 03:40 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Unfortunately thats not practical!
The engine mounts are supposed to go one way.. and I think I tried it already.. does not work!!!
-ram