Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 06:04 PM
RDAWG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust

ANYBODY HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH DUAL EXHAUST ON YOUR T-MAXX .BEEN THINKING ABOUT BUYING A DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR MINE SOME PEOPLE SAY THERE NOT ANY GOOD DON'T ALLOW PROPER AMOUNT OF BACK PRESSURE SO THAT TRUCK WILL RUN PROPER.BEEN LOOKING AT THE FATBOY DUAL EXHAUST,OF IF THERE'S SOMETHING BETTER PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:13 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust

RDAWG:

If you want it for appearance, go for it. If you want maximum power forget it. Too hard to tune, much better results from a pipe with a single exhaust.

AND PRESS THE CAPS LOCK KEY!!!

Bill.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:09 PM
SOXKWIZIT

Default Dual Exhaust

like the reply that was posted before mine it is not good idea to get one, for show yes, but to go no. it is loud obnoxious, it will cause more wear to your engine. it is more of a headache than anything else like, he said it is very hard to tune and does not give correct back pressure. i have built a few them (burn myself quite a few times) and i still have one if you like to see a picture of what i am talking about, just let me know. but again just buy an exhaust pipe from your local hobby store and the should be more than enough to fit your need and speed. KEEP IT SIMPLE AND HAVE FUN......

SOXKWIZIT
Old 03-31-2003, 10:05 PM
DURANODIC

Default Dual Exhaust

I built a dual exhaust setup for my Duratrax. I just used regular copper fittings and brazed them. I came out of my regular tuned pipe, then split it at the rear. So far, I'm still trying to tune it, but it seems quieter. As far as power is concerned, it seems like it's running better. My tuned pipe is a Duratrax for a .12-.16, and maybe when I hooked all the pipes up, it created a little more backpressure. I can't say for sure. I didn't approach it from a scientific standpoint, so maybe I just got lucky. All I can tell you is I haven't scrapped it yet, and if I can find the "sweet spot" in the tuning (the weather is varied) I'll happy with it. I've run two tanks through it and the performance is up to par. Plus, it looks killer. I can get you a pic if you want. Let me know.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:57 AM
dmzamora

Default Dual Exhaust

Please show us a picture, duster

Daniel
Old 04-01-2003, 02:04 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Default Dual Exhaust

your tearing your engine up for it.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:16 AM
James1701

Default Dual Exhaust

Casey is right, when you put a dual exhaust on there it changes the timing on your engine. Check your fuel time and see if it decreased or you are using more fuel.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:26 AM
Letsskydive

Default Dual Exhaust

Thank god i red this forum saved me some money but i still think i will buy one for looks lol look at one have have now
Old 04-01-2003, 03:27 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Default Dual Exhaust

Originally posted by Letsskydive
Thank god i red this forum saved me some money but i still think i will buy one for looks lol look at one have have now
the end of that makes no sense lol
Old 04-01-2003, 03:29 AM
Letsskydive

Default Dual Exhaust

Originally posted by CaseyDDR
the end of that makes no sense lol
OPPS LOOK What i have now
Old 04-02-2003, 01:58 AM
JWash1

Default Dual Exhaust

There is no logical reason to install dual exaust on a single cylinder engine.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:34 AM
wannabeturbo

Default Dual Exhaust

I dont see the problem with running a fake dual exhaust off your tuned pipe. Now I have read some of the articles detailing that you shouldnt run your 2 cycle engines without a tuned pipe and most of the dual exhaust pipes you see on ebay are not tuned. There are other threads that discuss in detail why you should be running a tuned pipe, so search this forum using key words such as dual exhaust or tuned pipes to learn more. Also, if someone can tell me why Duster71's idea is bad, if indeed that is what CaseyDDR is saying. All Duster has done is add on a pipe to direct his exhaust from underneath his RC vehicle and made it to look as though his RC had dual exhaust. All for looks I can imagine (which would look cool). I don't see it affecting back pressure, which would be the main concern. Maybe I'm wrong, and if someone can find data to back the claim that it is tearring up the engine to do so, please post the url for us. I'm only interested, due to the fact that I have taken a 12" piece of rubber hose to direct my exhaust and oil waste out the back of my truck, so as not to get oil all over the back end of the truck, making it harder to keep clean. Let us know what you know.

Thanks,
Wanna
Old 04-02-2003, 05:59 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust

Wannabe:

If the exhaust is truly tuned, the stack extension can disturb that tuning. Each part of the exhaust is critical.

But I do not agree that adding the"Y" for dual outlets will damage the engine.

From a power standpoint, though, there is no reason for dual exhausts on a single cylinder engine.

Bill.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:50 PM
DURANODIC

Default Dual Exhaust

I agree with Wanna. Obviously it is for looks, but now the oily mess is blown out the back and not caked to the side of the body. I can see a small disturbance in exhaust flow occurring, but I can't see it being enough of an issue that the engine is being harmed. Different tuned pipes are different sizes, and offer different gains (so they claim). Look at the adjustable divergence cones in the CVEC pipes. Whatever I did by diverting the exhaust to the back has clearly changed the back pressure in some small way, but it seems to be running like a raped ape.

However, I am fairly new to the sport. What I know is either self taught (which can be dangerous) or I picked up by reading threads such as these. I value any opinion that anybody has and I really appreciate all the input. It's all an experiment to me. Truth be known, I don't really care if I do ruin the stock .16 that I have powering my truck now. It's more of a test case to me. If I ruin the engine, it's a valid excuse to by a better one (which is always cool). I'll keep testing and post a new thread when I know for sure what's up. Thanks again for the input, keep it coming. I'm gonna try and get a picture up tomorrow, because in spite of it all, it does look pretty cool.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:38 PM
SOXKWIZIT

Default Dual Exhaust

Duster 71,

i agree with you....
i have been running my original t-maxx with the same set-up which is, a rubber pipe like the one in my picture of my 2.5 t-maxx with ( the fuel bottle that you carry for extra fuel, that metal tube that extends from the bottle) an i made myself and exhaust pipe. Oil build up no longer exists.
(if you like i will post the picture when i get a chance.)
the truck did not lack any performance tuning nothing it runs like a beast still.
the exhaust that has the most problem is the dual exhaust not enough back pressure, loud, and very short run times
Old 04-02-2003, 06:41 PM
DURANODIC

Default Dual Exhaust

Cool idea SOXKWIZIT. I'd love to see your pics. Like I said earlier, I'm gonna get my pics up tomorrow (having a digital cam issue).
Old 04-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Dlock

Default Dual Exhaust

Hey guys, I have been reading all your posts and would like to add my 2 cents.
I have heard a lot of bad things about the "Dual/Tuned Exhaust" pipes people are selling on E-Bay. I have to admit I was looking into buying one just so I could keep the side of my truck cleaner. I did some research and read a lot of bad things about these pipes, from increased engine temp, less run time, decrease in power, wearing out your engine quicker, to a louder exhaust. I have to admit I never say any proof to this, but being fairly new to this myself I went with what others said.

So I decided to get the CVEC Rear exhaust that was designed for the T Maxx. I have not been happier. It keeps my truck clean, it's tuned, it's adjustable so you can get a highend boost, low end boost, or a combination of both. The CVEC costs around $70 making it kind of expensive, but you look at all those pipes on E-bay and they cost around $50 also.

So I really have nothing but good things to say about the CVEC. It has been a good pipe, there has been a power increase, and it keeps my truck cleaner. Here are some pics so you can see what it looks like with and without the body. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or e-mail me....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	67659_21532.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	40814  
Old 04-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Dlock

Default Dual Exhaust

without the body.....

Name:	67660_21532.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	40815  
Old 04-03-2003, 06:52 AM
jeeptuff

Default Dual Exhaust

That's a good looking pipe Dlock, what is the part number on that pipe??
Old 04-03-2003, 02:07 PM
SOXKWIZIT

Default this is my invention

This is the exhaust that i was talking about that i came up with while trying to achieve a cleaner and cool looking T-maxx.

I agree Dlock has a very good idea, two reasons one the exhaust is in the rear fixing the messy situation on the side of the truck, also this also what i have learned over the years building & racing hot rods. Dlocks exhaust acts like a thrust off a jet plane, it works in making the truck faster b/c of the thrust propulsion pushing the truck foward (like a jet engine does for a jet).

My idea holds the same concept, but in a small and cheaper scale. Both are very good....

here is my concept........

Name:	67887_32100.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	40816  
Old 04-03-2003, 02:08 PM
SOXKWIZIT

Default this is my invention

Second Picture enlarged

Name:	67886_32100.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	40817  
Old 04-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Dlock

Default Dual Exhaust

Jeeptuff it's the CVEC z700. You can find them at stormer hobbies.

I have been talking with a guy that basically knows his stuff when it comes to engines and pipes. He did a head to head contest with a Sirio .18 and the TRX 2.5 with Sirio guts. He also used 4 of 5 different pipes, along with differetn plugs with each engine to figure out which combo was the best. He said the 2.5 with the sirio insides was a better engine. It had more low end torque with about the same RPM's.

As for pipe he said really the only good thing about the CVEC z700 was that it would keep your truck cleaner. If you wanted a true performance boost from a pipe he suggested the Ritter Pipe. It's side exhaust, but if all you care about is performance then it's the pipe for you.

I am a basher and not a racer, so a ton of performance is not a must for me. I will admit I did notice a little difference in overall performance, but it wasn't anything I was expecting. All in all it's a great pipe to keep the truck clean, sounds great, and was worth the investment for me....