Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Some simple questions about a T-maxx.

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Some simple questions about a T-maxx.

Old 04-03-2003, 01:32 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some simple questions about a T-maxx.

How many teeth does the factory clutch bell, and the spur gear have. (or the gear that is turned by the clutch bell gear.) The reason I'm asking is because mine seams to be geared a bit high. Also, How can I tell if my clutch is slipping to much? It doesn't climb hills well, it just slips. Thanks,
Old 04-03-2003, 02:05 AM
3maxxman

Clutchbell 20t spur gear is 72t. Is your truck shifting gears or is it stuck in 2nd gear? Make a pass increasing throttle slowly to see if you can hear it shift. To see if your spur is slipping (slipper) make a couple of quick passes at wide open throttle (WOT) then bring the truck back and check the temp of the slipper plates(the metal discs under the spring on the spur gear) with your finger, careful they may be hot, if they are warm or hot then your slipper is slipping too much and you need to tighten it. If your clutch is slipping the bell will be hot and then you will probably need to clean the inside of the bell or possibly replace the shoes. Are you running the old maxx or new?
Old 04-03-2003, 02:22 AM
green river rc

Thanks 3maxxman! its an old one. Ya know, now that you mention it, my spur gear is metal, and it has no balls or friction pegs. I have a new plastic one with pegs, maybe I should try it? My truck does stick in 2nd gear a lot, (what can I do about that?) but even when I know it's in 1st it seams a bit high. Tonight we had a piece of plywood at about a 45 deg angle to see if it would climb it. NO WAY! just slipped. Had to get a small running shoot at it. You said to clean the clutch, and replace the shoes. I happen to have a brand new set of shoes. (2 shoe clutch) I will try it tomorrow, it's to late to work on it now. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-03-2003, 02:49 AM
3maxxman

You say you don't have balls or pegs in the spur gear right now? What spur are you running, is it the RR double disc or the Hardened steel spur?

As for the shifting problem, do you know how to adjust your tranny?
Old 04-03-2003, 03:00 AM
green river rc

Its the gear on top in the picture. I have been adjusting the shift point, meaning turning the little screw under the rubber plug, to make it shift earlier, or later. Is this what you mean? Does that also make it stick in 2nd gear?
Old 04-03-2003, 03:05 AM
3maxxman

You have just answered you problem. With that gear you MUST use slipper pegs or 1/8 balls. It's the same as the plastic spur! Yes, adjusting the tranny screw out will make the truck stick in 2nd gear. To start from factory tighten the screw until it is lightly seated (tight), then back it out 6 full turns. That will give you a starting point, first get some friction pegs!
Old 04-03-2003, 03:17 AM
green river rc

Well, I tried the pegs. They didn't want to go in. They seamed to large in diameter. Are you sure the are suppost to fit? Maybe I'll just try the plastic gear for now? I have to got to bed now, I'll check your answer tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:27 AM
3maxxman

Yes I am sure, I run that spur on my stocker. I use 12 pegs. Get some new pegs, they will fit the holes. You can't use used pegs they will be impossible to fit. Make sure that the holes are clean and round, I received 1 that did not get de-burred and could not get new pegs in some of the holes.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:35 AM
3maxxman

Here is a quote from Robinson Racing's web site
RRP Steel T-Maxx / 2.5 Maxx 72t Spur Gear is precision machined and hardened. This spur takes the stock friction pegs (Trx#4685) for best performance use 12 new pegs.
Here is the link. http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...s.html#ssgears
Old 04-04-2003, 12:14 AM
green river rc

I counted the teeth on my clutch bell. It is a 22 tooth bell. Thats 2 teeth taller than stock. I knew it felt a bit over geared! My new clutch shoes didn't fit. Guess I'll get some new shoes as well.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:16 AM
eidaj2

I'm new to the sport so forgive the question if it is really dumb, what are the pegs you keep referring to? do you have a pic of what they look like and how they are supposed to be installed? I have a tmaxx with a megatech .16, has a metal spur gear also
Old 04-05-2003, 05:21 AM
3maxxman

This is what they look like, they go in the holes in the spur for the slipper plates to bite on. See the 12 small holes around the center hole in the metal spur above, that's where they go.