Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Best truck for a 13 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
chriskim95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best truck for a 13 year old?

Hi guys... Some of you may know me from gopednation or some other sites. I am looking for a good truck for myself. I work at a hobby shop servicing helicopters and I've been interested in RC Monster Trucks. I am looking for a truck. Preferably under 450 dollars RTR. I like the Traxxas brand... I also like the Savages... Thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 PM
cujoman

Default RE: Best truck for a 13 year old?

what do you plan to do with it? bash or race it? most likely bash right? well get a tmaxx or revo... i have them both but i would lean toward a revo, get used one if you can! although i just picked up a used duratrax warhead evo for $160 and for what it is, it's a pretty good truck, heavy and slower than the tmaxx or revo but over all a good performer!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:28 PM
pede_187

I don't own either but the Savage is a good basher from what I've heard and the Revo is good basher/racer.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Snaut Rocket

since its a 13 year old i would get him somthing thats easy to work on.
Like a mgt or aftershock.
The traxxas engines are a pain to tune ( from what i heard, not good for a beginner) and the savage is hard to work on.
But if you want the best of the best go with the lst2.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 PM
ericem

If you get the t-maxx trust me your GOING to have to fix it often so that layout is needed. As suggested there is also the MGT. I would looking into the Mini MGT 3.0 for the price it's pretty good, the design is very solid, and they are pretty quick, yet not to large!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18318

For the price its pretty awesome!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
christoptt

ORIGINAL: ericem

If you get the t-maxx trust me your GOING to have to fix it often so that layout is needed. As suggested there is also the MGT. I would looking into the Mini MGT 3.0 for the price it's pretty good, the design is very solid, and they are pretty quick, yet not to large!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18318

For the price its pretty awesome!
That seems like a nice truck... I don't know how much my LHS sells it for... I have to check.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 PM
ericem

Should be $359 at your LHS.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Evader ---> MGT

It seems to be a solid truck.
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=ASC20515!1007
$319 here w/ FREE SHIPPING!!!

and the MGT there is only $369 with free shipping!

Also, the Team Losi Aftershock seems to be a good truck and it's pretty cheap as well.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 AM
ttoks

for a first truck, i wouldn't suggest a truck at all, my first suggestion would be a thunder tiger ST-1 truggy, quite a few MT guys disagree here (mostly because a lot of MT guys haven't owned a truggy before) but the TT ST-1 will be faster then a truck, handle better then a truck, more durable,, easier to work on, much simpler so more reliable, and cheaper, $299 at a main hobbies for a TT ST-1 RTR, the only department an MT has on the truggies is rock crawling, then if you want you can spend that extra $150 on upgrades, or even better, fuel, glow plugs and spare parts instead of spending it all on the truck.

if your hell bent on a monster truck though the MGT 3.0 would be my first option as a basher, cheap, from what i've seen them put through durable and easy to work on, for an MT anyway, if your talking about racing the revo or LST2 with about an extra $100 for odds and ends (for racing you'll need new tires for either, and a FOC kit for either, a high speed only for the LST2 and center diff for the revo and sway bars for either are a great help), both are out of your price range though.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:37 PM
chriskim95

Nah I decided Im going to go with a stadium truck... lighter on the wallet especially for a 13 year old. I will some how do some suspension mods to allow grass going.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 PM
d3d5

ORIGINAL: chriskim95

Nah I decided Im going to go with a stadium truck... lighter on the wallet especially for a 13 year old. I will some how do some suspension mods to allow grass going.
i'm doing the samething get a firestorm one of the strongest stadium trucks. i'm gonna try to mod it to be higher up also soon.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM
ericem

Couldn't agree more with the ST-1 comment. There is pretty much no maintenance and it seems impossible to break my ST-1. My friend with a RC10GT hits things more often because they handle like crap and overall more difficult to drive. Only $289 for the ST-1 RTR. about $300 with all accessories.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 AM
TM323

have you though about electric some of the new brushless stuff out looks good and definately cheaper in the long run since all you have to do is charge batteries. I have 3 nitro's and it is a pain when you are the only one who can tune but every one wants to play
Old 11-29-2007, 11:26 AM
SpikeX

I'm 13 too, and I have 2 Savages. I got a Savage X when I was 12, and I bought another an X SS in April this year because I liked them so much. I would definately go for a Savage! It's an extremely reliable and strong platform, and it can be made to go fast too!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Clymer122693

I would get the revo that was my first truck aswell and I was 13 when I got it and it was exetremly easy to work on and I never had one prob tuning the 4 traxxas engines I own and like I said it was my first nitro. The savage is also a good choice but it is kinda hard to work on but it rarely breaks so....and the revo requires very little maintence also.But the revo is a good choice if you looking into racing in the near future.

EDIT: I just saw you were going with a ST the firestrom and jato or rustler are also very good choices! but I would look at your lhs and see if they carry the parts for the model you choose cause it will get old waiting 2wks for one lil part.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM
chriskim95

I can't decide... trucks are cool and STS are cool... I really want a truck but with 15 bucks a weekO.o its kind of hard to afford. I do have 2 electrics... there the Nikko type things. They arent hobby grade lolz
Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM
ericem

lol $15 a week.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Clymer122693

hmmm dont laugh but I know a very cheap nitro you could afford lol look up "hasbo nitro rc" on google,and it has a 1 needle carb and some other things but they run about $150 and wal-mart is supposed to start carrying them some time soon,and if I offended you I did not mean to .
Old 11-29-2007, 06:43 PM
chriskim95

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

hmmm dont laugh but I know a very cheap nitro you could afford lol look up "hasbo nitro rc" on google,and it has a 1 needle carb and some other things but they run about $150 and wal-mart is supposed to start carrying them some time soon,and if I offended you I did not mean to .
no... you didn't offend me... if this is a real nitro RC vehicle, I might look at one to buy.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM
ericem

It's a real rc vehicle that will cost you lots of frustration and parts in the long run. Then you will wish you just bought the St-1 and lived hapily ever after.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:14 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a T-maxx when I was 12, it was fun to drive but the engine was a POS and the truck breaks constantly, it ended up costing me over $1000 with the cost of the truck in replacement parts and upgrades and now its collecting dust. I also bought a Savage when I was 14 and I love it to death.... I like it even more now since I have a .30 size engine and the thing absolutely flies and rarely breaks. I recently went trailriding/off road running with it a few weeks ago and it was a blast... I couldnt be happier with it and I fully recommend one[8D] Trust me, dont cheap out in the beginning because in the long run you will regret it... And trust me, I know how its like, I dont get allowance or any money other than my birthday $100 and my nameday (polish/european tradition) $100 so I had to save for two years for the T-maxx. Then after that I started doing odd jobs and working a bit in the summer, but again because of this hobby I am once again broke Im 16 BTW, and I want to get a job on weekends but its kind of hard because there arent any openings in my area... All I can say is that even though I've ended up spending over $1800 on both of my trucks and spent 6 years worth of savings, its pretty much been worth it Tom.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:17 PM
chriskim95

[:@]I called my local hobbytownusa and they said they were RECALLED. DANG IT I WAS HOPING I COULD GET A CRAPPY NITRO I hate the chinese[:@]
Old 11-30-2007, 03:38 AM
rclynx

Reading about what what you have said about this basher you want I would say get the 861 HPI Savage SS X 4.6 and put it together. Durability is second to none and the knowledge you would gain by putting it together would be very valuable to you in the future..........The instructions on that truck are super easy to follow and the only thing that compairs is the MGT or the MMT. Thats my opinion and I'm an XTM guy
Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 AM
chriskim95

O.o my LHS doesn't have the MGT.... they have the Xs 429 so thats a little on the expensive side. If I get a stadium truck, can't I just put on huge tires which gives more clearence?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:01 AM
ttoks

not really, the rest of the car will suffer because ST's aren't made for huge tires.

seriously, i would consider buying the thunder tiger ST-1 i mean it they are a good truck, and $289 is a very very good price for s car with the quality of the thunder tiger, $289 is around what a good stadium costs and, you don't have to go putting wheels o it that are to big for the rest of the car to handle, on top of that, they are a race ready machine, you can compete with the thunder tiger in club level events if you choose to, and it being a truggy, a good truggy makes it very durable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.