Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Is MIP's clutch kit for the T-Maxx any good?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Is MIP's clutch kit for the T-Maxx any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 01:05 AM
grampi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is MIP's clutch kit for the T-Maxx any good?

I installed one in my RC 10GT and it was a night and day difference between it and the factory clutch setup. I'm just wondering if it's that much better for the T-Maxx.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Dlock

Grampi, I would have to guess that anything MIP puts out, it's going to be a good product. As far as better than the stock T Maxx clutch, I would think that anything better than stock is going to be just that.... better. I don't like the herky jerky action of the stock clutch and will probably be looking for an upgrade soon....
Old 04-05-2003, 06:52 AM
SixVi6-Camaro

the jerky action of a stock t-maxx is not from the clutch on the engine. its from the internal finger type clutches that operate the forward and reverse selection. the only way to stop the jerky start is to do a forward only conversion. as far as clutches.. in the past I found that the MIP clutch is no better than the stock maxx clutch.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:55 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Yah isn't it kinda stupid that the Tmaxx Sport or whatever GRAMPI!! SPORTMAXX comes with a single speed transmission... and for 325$ it should have 2 speed! THEN the Tmaxx, which most ppl rather have forward only, comes with that annoying reverse so you have to buy something totally different to get that.. for 400$ give or take, id much rather it be an option like the Savage.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:58 AM
grampi

I'm thinking the Sportmaxx with the 2 speed and 4WD modules would be the way to go.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:02 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by grampi
I'm thinking the Sportmaxx with the 2 speed and 4WD modules would be the way to go.
why would u want 4wd if your buying a sport maxx? im confused... I personally dont like 4wd, slows down the vehicle.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:04 AM
jeeptuff

Originally posted by CaseyDDR
why would u want 4wd if your buying a sport maxx? im confused... I personally dont like 4wd, slows down the vehicle.
That is a little thing called preferance, Grampi has a screaming GT, I think he knows what he is doing.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:07 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by jeeptuff
That is a little thing called preferance, Grampi has a screaming GT, I think he knows what he is doing.
no reason to be rude, I was asking a totally legitimate question. If you are going to buy a sport maxx, why do you want 4wd? it defeats the purpose.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:12 AM
jeeptuff

Never meant to sound rude. But I would say preferance.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Dlock

The sportmaxx is intended to be a racer. It out accelerates the T Maxx. I think the only way the T Maxx would stick with the Sportmaxx on a track, is if it's a big track with long straits where the T can kick into second gear and get some speed up.

I did some looking up on www.buytraxxas.com and if you start with a Sportmaxx $325 add a 4WD conversion $50 and then add the two speed tranny $35, you get a grand total of $410. Which is more than what you can find a T Maxx for and take out the Reverse. Now I know prices will vary, just wanted to give you something to thing about.

I have been very tempted as of late to buy a Sportmaxx and just see how much better, if any, it is than my T Maxx. I would like to see just how much the 4WD helps out, or if it's really all that necisarry. Granted it will help out a lot with crawling at slow speeds, but I don't find myself going that slow very often. Just a couple of thought I have had. Good Luck Grampi on getting the one you want. Either way they are a ton of fun....
Old 04-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Just out of curiosity, why would you not want 4wd on an MT?

The idea of an MT is to go over as many obstacles, drive in terrain where normal ST's/buggies can't go and jump higher/farther. This seems to be suited perfectly for 4wd.

MT's are not built for speed, though some can go quite fast. For my self It makes no real sense to have a 2wd MT.

The SportMaxx was designed to allow people to get into a MT cheaper and add the 4wd, 2 speed and reverse at a later date when the owner has a little more money. Just because it doesn't come with it doesn't mean it shouldn't have it.

One other question for you knowing you own an E-Maxx. If you like 2wd so much have you converted your E-Maxx to 2wd? If not why?
Old 04-05-2003, 05:19 PM
grampi

The reason I mentioned the Sportmaxx and suggested adding the 4WD and 2 speed modules is because then you could have a T-Maxx wihtout reverse. I wouldn't say MT's weren't meant to be fast. There are several that will exceed 40. That's pretty darn fast in my book. There could be an argument for or against 2WD MT's. You're still getting the ground clearance with either, and like was mentioned, there's usually less driveline drag on a 2WD so in theory they should be faster. I went the T-Maxx because I wanted 4WD AND speed along with the ground clearance.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:31 PM
caseyddr

Originally posted by grampi
The reason I mentioned the Sportmaxx and suggested adding the 4WD and 2 speed modules is because then you could have a T-Maxx wihtout reverse. I wouldn't say MT's weren't meant to be fast. There are several that will exceed 40. That's pretty darn fast in my book. There could be an argument for or against 2WD MT's. You're still getting the ground clearance with either, and like was mentioned, there's usually less driveline drag on a 2WD so in theory they should be faster. I went the T-Maxx because I wanted 4WD AND speed along with the ground clearance.
Thanks for answering my question And about the sportmaxx, my LHS owner (the one buyrbware talked about) said he was actually pretty disapointed with the sportmaxx. He didn't give me details, kinda blew by the subject then started asking to drive my emaxx :O Anyways I dont think the sportmaxx was designed for people to get into MT cheaper, saying its same price as a Emaxx which isnt cheap by any means. It is like what Dlock said, built for racing instead of bashing.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:38 PM
grampi

Is there actually a racing class for MT's?
Old 04-06-2003, 01:18 AM
caseyddr

yah! most tracks have a MT class nowadays
Old 04-06-2003, 01:31 AM
Dlock

T Maxxes have been so popular, they have really developed their own racing class. I know that most racing MT's fit into the hybrid catagory, which seems to me to be a big version of a buggy. I asked once what a hybrid was, and one answer I got was MT crossed with a buggy.

As it has been stated a few times in this thread the Sportmaxx is really for those guys who want to race. I am a basher, and I want 4wd. I like the speed, handling, and toughness of the T Maxx and am having a blast with it.

Grampi, I got your point on the Sportmaxx and adding the mods to it. I was just saying it would probably be cheaper to get the T Maxx and take the reverse out. Plus in true form of the RTR it's ready to go, how you want it, out of the box. Well I guess you would have to buy to FoC if you wanted to take reverse out....
Old 04-06-2003, 01:35 AM
caseyddr

yah with what they do to the MT's to get them 'race ready' does kinda take the MT outta it.. Like on my emaxx for MT class I'm probably going to use 4 1/8 buggy shocks, the center of gravity will be much lower with new chassis, and it will be longer.. simple conversions totally change the size of a maxx.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:40 AM
grampi

So what's the advantage of not having reverse again?
Old 04-06-2003, 01:42 AM
caseyddr

Alot easier to get the truck to idle and not stall. With reverse the tmaxx is jerky. It will run alot smoother with out it.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Dlock

From what I hear it smooths out the T's acceleration. At very slow speeds it tends to jerk forward, but once it gets up to a certain rpm's it's fine. This only occurs from a dead stop.

I could see how this would be a problem for racing, but as a basher I find there are times when I need reverse to get out of a situation where I am too lazy to go pick up my truck. I really don't think I will ever take revers out of my truck.

If you want to see some racing MT's and Maxxes, go to this website. http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ph.../dan/index.htm
Old 04-06-2003, 01:45 AM
Dlock

I have not really had any problems getting my Max to idle, and I have the reverse in.....
Old 04-06-2003, 01:48 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by Dlock
I have not really had any problems getting my Max to idle, and I have the reverse in.....
jus stating what i heard, ppl have problems getting it to hold still. This is mainly coming from new ppl to the nitro area. I know id' have this problem personally if i decided to go to the evil side.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:51 AM
Dlock

Originally posted by CaseyDDR
I know id' have this problem personally if i decided to go to the evil side.
Ha Ha Ha good one I was just stating something too. Wasn't calling you a liar or anyhing. I think it's really just a matter of tinkering with the tuning. This is my frist Nitro, but I did have some help from the all reliable Crash_Me_Over. So I guess that always helps
Old 04-06-2003, 01:54 AM
grampi

What has CMO been up to lately? He used to be a regular in this forum, but lately he's been pretty scarce. He's missed.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:01 AM
caseyddr

wonder if i'd be missed if i was gone :*( oh well :sigh: lol anyways yah thats not fair, i will wnat help if i decide to go nitro but nobody around me has anything.. all the RC'ers in indy are on the east side, and i live less than 1 mile from the county line on the west side.... lol its at least a 30 minute drive to our local track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.