Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

No Shift T-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 11:33 AM
KIPER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Shift T-maxx

HELP OUR 2.5 MAXX WONT SHIFT IN TO 2ND WE'VE TIGHTENED AND LOOSENED THE ALLEN HEAD SCREWS IN THE TRANS I KNOW ONE IS A SET SCREW AND THE OTHER IS FOR ADJ THE SHIFT POINT CAN THE THING BE STUCK AND NEED TO BE TAKEN APART. I DONT THINK IT'S STUCK IN 2ND IT STILL HAS REAL GOOD TAKE OFF POWER.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Trippz2zen

Default No Shift T-maxx

I had this problem too for a while.... I read some where that your low speed idle is too high. Lean it out a bit. As well as lean the high idle out only a lilttle, make 1/16 turn adjustments and retest after each adjustment. I have since got mine shifing perfectly with any adjustments to the trans.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:01 PM
KIPER

Default No Shift T-maxx

WE DID THAT FOR A WHILE. NO DIFFERENCE. IT HAS GOOD IDOL SPEED AND DOES'NT JERK AT IDOL THE THING WORKED FINE BEFORE I TURNED WHAT I THOUGHT WAS THE ADJ SCREW TO QUICKEN THE SHIFT FOR TRACK COND. TURNED IT 1/4 TURN CLOCKWISE THEN THE NEXT DAY WHEN WE WERE AT THE TRACK IT WOULD'NT SHIFT TO 2ND THE ADJ SCREW FEELS LIKE IT ALWAYS HAS LIGHT TENSION ON IT AND THE SET SCREW FEELS DIFFERENT. I WAS TOLD THE ADJ SCREW IS OFFSET TO ONE SIDE IN THE LITTLE OPENING WHERE YOU CHANGE IT
Old 04-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Default No Shift T-maxx

I belive that the scew you need to turn (this is from memory) is the second one that comes up in the hole when you are looking through it into the transmision. To lower the shift point you need to turn it counter clockwise. If you didn't adjust it too far the first time it should still shift even if it's on the high side. Only make shift adjustments 1/8 of a turn at a time. If you went more than a 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn you may have the shift point set too high and no amount of rev's will get it to shift into 2nd.

One other thing to look at is if your truck is running rich on the high end. If the engine does not rev high enough it won't shift into 2nd gear. Try leaning the top end out a little at a time to see if you can get some more rev's out of the engine.

Remember that as the temperatures warm up you need to lean the engine out a little since the air is less dense. If it has warmed up a fair amount where you live (as it has done here) you may need to re-tune your engine.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:14 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default No Shift T-maxx

I dont know if this is a problem.. but

A vehicle with 2 gears only shifts ONCE!!!

It starts off in first... WHEEEEEE...CLICK...(second) WHEEEEEE....
2 Gears: 1 Click
3 Gears: 2 Clicks

Clicks = Gears-1

Didnt mean to make you look dumb.. but thought that might be it since you tried everything else!
ram
Old 04-09-2003, 07:17 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default No Shift T-maxx

Forgot to mention.. try taking it off the ground and accelerating to see if it shifts and take a good look at the exhaust to determine whether your running it too lean or rich.

(DO NOT over revv the engine with no load.. its not good for the internals! ITs very tempting to see that thing revv like that I know..lol )
-ram
Old 04-09-2003, 08:05 PM
KIPER

Default No Shift T-maxx

THANKS FOR MORE INPUT WILL TRY THIS EVENING.. IF IT'S NOT RAINING. EVEN W GRADUAL ACCELERATION TO FULLTHROTTLE I DON'T HERE OR SEE IT SHIFT ALSO DONUT THINK IT'S TO LEAN OR RICH RUNNING TEMP IS OK ALSO DOES'NT SOUND OR LOOK TO RICH OR LEAN, IV'E TRIED HOLDING IT IN THE AIR AND DON'T NOTICE ANY SHIFT. IT'S NEVER BEEN A PROB TO NOTICE A SHIFT I THINK I "SCREWED" SOMETHING THE WRONG WAY .

HOW MANY COUNTERCLOCKWISE TURNS OUT SHOULD IT BE TO HAVE APPROX A HALF OR THREE QUARTER THROTTLE SHIFT POINT IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Default No Shift T-maxx

I'm not sure how many turns out it should be.

Here is my suggestion though. Try leaning it out a little to see if that will help with the shifting. If that doesn't work after a few passes return your engine to the settings that you started out with or to the stock settings of 4 turns out high speed needle and 2 turns out low speed needle.

Then start backing the shift point down an 1/8 turn at a time until the truck starts shifting. Once you find a shift point that you are happy with then re-tune the truck to your liking.

If you go a full turn down on the shift point and it's not shifting, go the other direction (you could have it too low that it's starting in 2nd).

Anyway, just a thought.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:08 AM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Default No Shift T-maxx

I had a simiar problem. But with mine the setscrew had come loose. However before i realized that I had twisted on the shift point screw. After I tightened up the second gear setscrew I had to readjust the shift point. As I recall i had to turn the srew out about 4 or 5 turns from bottom.

Joe
Old 04-10-2003, 11:33 AM
KIPER

Default No Shift T-maxx

THANKS WILL TRY AGAIN THIS WEEKEND AND LET EVERYONE KNOW.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:55 AM
POJack

Default How new is it???

Had the same problem with mine last year. I told the guy at the hobby shop about it and he said that the engine needs to fully break in sometimes before it will shift. It took about 4-5 tanks (after break in) for it to start shifting for me.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:28 AM
KIPER

Default No Shift T-maxx

thanks again for the info took the tranny apart last night to see if any thing broken did'nt notice anything wrong. the adj clutch set screw if anything was loose like it should be but maybe not out far enough . the adj screw seems to loose the achieve the same shift point all the time.will test this weekend to see and let everyone know

thanks again for everyone's help
Old 04-14-2003, 05:11 PM
KIPER

Default No Shift T-maxx

OK AFTER TEST IT WOULD SHIFT A FEW TIMES AND THEN IT WOULD'NT ANYMORE I FOUND OUT THAT THERE IS A SMALL SPRING INSIDE THE CLUTCH DISC THAT I MUST HAVE DAMAGED THAT'S WHY IT WOULD'NT STAY AT A DESIRED SHIFT POINT.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:21 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Default No Shift T-maxx

Ya you probably tightened the screw to much, it only take s a little bit to change the shift point, but what I would sugjest, is to loosen the screw up a bit, to where it shifts way to early, and make 1/16 turns in from then on untill it shifts to you liking, remember, it is the second screw and make small turns!! All of this is in your user manual did you read it fully?? LOL anyways good luck.