Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Monster Truck under $400.00 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 09:57 PM
FUZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Truck under $400.00 ?

I am looking for a Monster Truck for my son. I want it to be pretty durable, have plenty of parts available and have several aftermarket hop-ups available. It dont have to be an electric start but an electric start will be ok. Im looking for a truck with plenty of power and one with a great suspension. But most of all I want to keep the price under or near $400.00. I would like it to have 4WD, a two speed transmission, and reverse dont really matter. The main factors are price and durability,...... followed closely by parts availability. I currently have a Losi XXXnt sport that I have upgraded with graphite parts and a Trinity Picco P-15 engine, so he is also looking for speed.

Thanks,
FUZZ
Old 04-14-2003, 10:10 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

i wont say much because i havent owned a tmaxx but it follows your budget and the options you want, and its fast. thats all I have to say. Im not going to post a bunch about something i dont own.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

T Maxx
Old 04-14-2003, 10:22 PM
grampi

I can't believe you guys are actually recommending a T-Maxx for this guy. You know the Savage lovers/T-Maxx bashers will be crawling out of woodwork now. I agree with you guys, for $400 or less, the Maxx is tough to beat, but if you listen to the Maxx bashers, you'd sware it's the worst MT ever made!
Old 04-14-2003, 10:30 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Yah with what grampi said you jus opened a hell of a debate that gets started almost every day at these forums, but with what you need and want, go with the Tmaxx. Its fast (radar confirmed 44.7 mph OUT OF BOX), GREAT support by just about every single LHS, and easy to tune / learn. I would recommend taking out the reverse though, complicates the running.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:58 PM
FairlyNew

If I may ask, how old is your son and does he have previous RC experience?

Have you considered Electric, it is more reliable and maybe better suited to a child. I just say this because the guy I drive trucks with bought his son a Nitro M/T and now he gets a little tired of having to tune it for his son or fix it. He wishes he had bought him an electric now.

You might talk to CaseyDDR he has had pretty good luck with hid E-Maxx I think. Which is a great truck
Old 04-14-2003, 11:12 PM
caseyddr

yep i love the emaxx great speed for electric but I'm assuming his son knows how to tune because he has the RC10GT also.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Rex2342

Savage Pro's
1)Has a .21
2)Has a 2 speed
3)Excelent suspension travel
4)Excelent support
5)Very Durable
6)Easy to tune and drive
7)Excepts many .21 engines with no mods

Savage con's
1)Its heavy
2)Its' slower than a T-maxx about 32mph
3)No reverse
4)Pullstart
5)420$$

T-maxx pro's
1)Very nice engine Trx 2.5
2)Fast out of the Box about 44mph
3)E-Z Start system
4)Very durable
5)Excelent support
6)Has Reverse
7) Only 399$
8)ALOT of hop-ups

T-Maxx con's
1)Need seperate charger for E-Z start=more money
2)Need batteries for E-Z Start=more money
3)Reverse cause idleing problems
4)A little more difficult to tune
5)Need a chassis upgrade to put in a .21

Both trucks handle very good and have good aftermarket support.I don't have any experience with the Ofna trucks but ask caseyddr he knows alot about them and knows alot about the E-maxx electric truck too. Bets thing to do is see the trucks in person and then make your decision.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM
grampi

Having to make a lot of upgrades to the T-Maxx to install a .21 isn't really a con. It's a 1/10 MT so it isn't made for a .21. Besides, you don't need to install a .21 in the Maxx. If you want the ultimate Maxx you can install the Sirio .18 which is a direct drop-in.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:18 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by grampi
Having to make a lot of upgrades to the T-Maxx to install a .21 isn't really a con. It's a 1/10 MT so it isn't made for a .21. Besides, you don't need to install a .21 in the Maxx. If you want the ultimate Maxx you can install the Sirio .18 which is a direct drop-in.
its also better than any low to mid quality .21 available. So unless you drop a RB or Big Block nova rossi in that thing, You'll see better performance outta the .18 sirio.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:19 AM
AIR-SAVAGE

If your going for a truck that is durable,the savage is a must.Its a fact the t/maxx is faster, but is hard to turn without flipping it over. ( remember work talking about a kid here). A savage will stay on its wheels better and the t/maxx and the t/maxx will have a lot more broken parts too compared to the savage.Unless you just flat run a savage into something head on, chances are not going to hurt it. Anyway If you want to go fast,buy a buggy, speed isnt everything.It is very hard to controle a monster truck going 40 m.p.h on ruff terrian. You dont see real monster trucks go fast.There made to jump,climb, and handle ruff terrian.
T/maxx is a good truck,but they dont take the abuse. I have owned both,and I got tired of buying parts for my t/maxx.So I sold it and bought a savage. Best move I ever made. ...Just my 2 cents. Ok,people bash away!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 12:22 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by AIR-SAVAGE
If your going for a truck that is durable,the savage is a must.Its a fact the t/maxx is faster, but is hard to turn without flipping it over. ( remember work talking about a kid here). A savage will stay on its wheels better and the t/maxx and the t/maxx will have a lot more broken parts too compared to the savage.Unless you just flat run a savage into something head on, chances are not going to hurt it. Anyway If you want to go fast,buy a buggy, speed isnt everything.It is very hard to controle a monster truck going 40 m.p.h on ruff terrian. You dont see real monster trucks go fast.There made to jump,climb, and handle ruff terrian.
T/maxx is a good truck,but they dont take the abuse. I have owned both,and I got tired of buying parts for my t/maxx.So I sold it and bought a savage. Best move I ever made. ...Just my 2 cents. Ok,people bash away!!!!!!!
an unbiased opinion coming from someone named "AIR-SAVAGE" :| Tmaxx's take jus as much abuse as a savage, anyways if the tmaxx only wnet 32 MPH instead of 44.7, it would break far fewer parts in wrecks. thats almost 15mph difference, thats a BIG difference.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:30 AM
AIR-SAVAGE

How do you figure casey? I said the tmaxx is a GOOD truck.....
The extra speed of the tmaxx is a TOTAL waist just for that reason!!! That extra speed just gets you in trouble.You cant controle the truck at those high of speeds unless you are on a smooth surface.And if thats the case,by a buggy.....The name AIR SAVAGE says it all.I enjoy jumping
Old 04-15-2003, 12:34 AM
caseyddr

How do you figure casey? I said the tmaxx is a GOOD truck.....
The extra speed of the tmaxx is a TOTAL waist just for that reason!!! That extra speed just gets you in trouble.You cant controle the truck at those high of speeds unless you are on a smooth surface.And if thats the case,by a buggy.....The name AIR SAVAGE says it all.I enjoy jumping
I've never had problems jumping a maxx, and they get great air if you know hwo to control a vehicle. And as for the high speeds it handles it fine, so you cant make turns hard while going full speed, you cant do that with most cars. Most ppl are smart enough not to do it at all! and if he does happen to roll over in a turn hes not going to break anything! A simple roll does not make u break tons of parts.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:43 AM
AIR-SAVAGE

But you must admit, t/maxx's break more parts than a savage.When I had my tmaxx,It just was breaking all the time. And I am driving the savage much harder than than I ever did the max....This argument could go on for ever!!!!!! lol but that is what makes it so fun....No matter what the guy buys,I am sure the kid will have fun.... Just put a hyper 8 port in the savage,m and it made a big difference on bottom end.Cant wait till I can lean it out....
Old 04-15-2003, 12:52 AM
POJack

Default Go T-Maxx

Everything you described in your post described the T-Maxx, especially the parts availability. I have 3 Hobby shops near my house and they carry very little in the Savage parts department. T-Maxx parts however are endless at all 3 shops. Go to your local hobby shop (if you have one near you) and see what ammount of parts they have available for each truck and base your decision on that if you are concerned about parts availability. There are also many more Monster Trucks on the market, but the parts availability at most hobby shops is virtually nil.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:54 AM
caseyddr

But you must admit, t/maxx's break more parts than a savage.When I had my tmaxx,It just was breaking all the time. And I am driving the savage much harder than than I ever did the max....This argument could go on for ever!!!!!! lol but that is what makes it so fun....No matter what the guy buys,I am sure the kid will have fun.... Just put a hyper 8 port in the savage,m and it made a big difference on bottom end.Cant wait till I can lean it out....
i broke my maxx once, and you cant drive a savage harder if it only goes 30mph. My emaxx will beat it in a race, and thats with the old arm set up. Savages lack in all performance aspects. (stock vs stock of course)
Old 04-15-2003, 12:59 AM
AIR-SAVAGE

You just said it again......lol Thats why they break..(speed kills)
And by the way,You have no clue how my savage runs, so dont sit there and say you will smoke me.....
Old 04-15-2003, 01:05 AM
POJack

Default Casey & Air Savage

Hey, You guys should meet half way and see who has the baddest truck...
Old 04-15-2003, 01:08 AM
caseyddr

Default Re: Casey & Air Savage

Originally posted by POJack
Hey, You guys should meet half way and see who has the baddest truck...
he's just another savage lover trying to talk up what he owns. Both are great trucks, he jus has a problem cuz he decided to buy the caterpillar instead of the butterfly ^_^
Old 04-15-2003, 01:12 AM
AIR-SAVAGE

Sounds like a show down.....lol line-um up.......On second thought casey is right, I would have to get a V-8 in my savage,to beat him.....
Old 04-15-2003, 01:18 AM
XtremeDad

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:coo: All this just to answer a simple question, lol... I own both and I love the speed of the Tmaxx as it really rips, but I love to drive the Savage as well, for the handling that it has... So I will say as I have heard from one of these guys before, go for which ever one catches your eye... They are both great trucks to get started with... and by the way Savage hopups are coming, little slow getting them out but they will be out soon...fingers crossed...lol...
Old 04-15-2003, 01:20 AM
hoodiegadoo

Default Re: Re: Casey & Air Savage

Originally posted by CaseyDDR
he's just another savage lover trying to talk up what he owns.
And then theres casey arguing with a guy who has both trucks about two trucks that casey hasn't owned or driven....this is REALLY starting to get old....
Old 04-15-2003, 01:44 AM
FUZZ

Well,...... to answer a few questions; My son is 13 years old and he has had previous experience with a B3 buggy and has driven my XXXnt, "quite well I may add". He is now just looking for a big, bad Monster truck. We have looked at the OFNA Pirate 10 with the .21 in it. Anyone know anything about that one?

Thanks,
FUZZ
Old 04-15-2003, 01:47 AM
AIR-SAVAGE

Hey there casey, Let see here.I remember talking up my tmaxx Till i found out they were junk.Is that what you wanted me to say?????????The man asked a question.I gave him my opinion. Thats what he wanted.You are the one thats bashing and turning it into something
personal. You need to take a break and count to 10. I would say count to 15,but You would have to take off your shoes and socks.....Geeez... listen to yourself.

Oh,buy the way. a caterpillar will crush a butterfly.
I think deep in your heart,you are a savage lover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.