Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

All around best RC platform..MT vs. Truggy vs. Buggy

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
Revo
9.52%
Race Truggy ex MBX5T,CRT,8T,XB8T
28.57%
Savage
19.05%
LST2
26.19%
Sport and RTR Truggy..ex. TTR ST-1, Muggy,Mantis etc
7.14%
Buggy !
9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

All around best RC platform..MT vs. Truggy vs. Buggy

Old 01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All around best RC platform..MT vs. Truggy vs. Buggy

Well it seems to me there is alot of different theories on which is the best RC platform for both Racing and Bashing....... Some people like myself like Truggies, other people seem to like MT's....What platform do you think is the best, and why ? ( this is a Supertib thread,so please feel free to express your opinions)

some factors to consider

1. value
2. durability
3. versatility...what do you do with one platform you don't feel the other platform could do
4. ease of maintenance...how much time does it take to repair, ex diffs, control arm, bulkhead
5. Drivetrain.... powerful motors are fun, stripping gears is not
6. performance
7. resale value
8. reliability...... I hate wrenching all day, I would rather burn nitro..!!!!
9. enjoyment ...what do you enjoy with one platform you dont feel the other platforms capable of..

Anyways feel free to state your opions, feel free to express your concerns with the other platforms as well as praises of you own.....
Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Ingen28

Default RE: All around best RC platform..MT vs. Truggy vs. Buggy

I am just wondering why you seperated all of the MT's, and did not group them like the other styles?
Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
spikeitaudi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be useless in a MT forum poll. Plus you don't even have a buggy option there. All platforms, buggies, Truggies, MT, etc.. have there own engineering requirements for specific needs and requirements. I don't think you can say one is better then the other as its comparing apples to oranges.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:30 PM
twomanytoys

A truggy is the best of both worlds. Nothing handles like a truggy, its light and you can bash the heck out of them. Everyone knows the savage is the basher of all bashers but they handle like crap. Buggies are quick and nimble but cant handle the rough stuff.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Ingen28

Well its settled then, we can leave it at that!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
infernalstone

We could only hope...
Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Ingen28

I am just wondering why you seperated all of the MT's, and did not group them like the other styles?

Well I have not made too many polls before, so this was the most sensible way I could think to make the poll........A Revo is a very different animal then a Savage, and the same goes for a LST.... Truggies on the other hand are much more similar to each other, with huge amounts of brand interchangeable parts...So the most sensible dividing line for Truggies is RTR or Race......

Old 01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
savagedriver

I enjoy my Traxxas XL-5 Stampede the most, its the best RC in the world ever for me, No matter what supertib says cause it doesnt matter anyways...........nothing anyone says really matters in life cause its your life not theres. Have a nice day RC'ing. Newb
Old 01-24-2008, 03:15 PM
infernalstone

My 17 turn equipped Lunchbox is totally better than your Stampede. Handles like a shopping cart and looks like one too!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM
MGTmadman

ORIGINAL: infernalstone

My 17 turn equipped Lunchbox is totally better than your Stampede. Handles like a shopping cart and looks like one too!
LOL
Old 01-24-2008, 03:20 PM
revopqrs

ugh... were in the mt section huh? well since ive owned a few mts, buggies, and truggies i suppose i can add to this.
hate to say it in the mt forum, but mts are lame! lol... i suppose if you like fixing it every time ya run theyre ok, but i prefer having a truck that can take the abuse and keep going! i hated my revo, i spent thousands on tha damn thing and it broke every time out... every time. my lst wasnt any better, and it was bigger and slower! do the math.
buggies are incredible, they are so tough is just shocking.. because they are so compact. but they suffer in rough terrain.. so what the logical evolution? wider arms and bigger tires of course!!

taa daa... TRUGGY!!! the only time i break my truggy is when i slam into something full throttle. go drivetrain failures, they just work.

if you wanna say i dont know what im talking about, go get a truggy and get back to me!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
binaryterror

Looks like the combined LST and Revo is in the lead.

If you seperate 1 you have to seperate them all. 8T (central weight design) is so different than a Mugen (Pillow ball front suspension) and a Kyosho (old school design) is different than each other.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:43 PM
savagedriver

LOL.... you guys are funny......I am just messin w/super,he is fun to mess with, he knows who I am........ he just seems a little aggitated as of late...........I may have to send him another 'something' to calm him down......... Newb
Old 01-24-2008, 04:21 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: savagedriver

LOL.... you guys are funny......I am just messin w/super,he is fun to mess with, he knows who I am........ he just seems a little aggitated as of late...........I may have to send him another 'something' to calm him down......... Newb
Its winter up here, and were in the middle of a big old cold snap... I have been holed up indoors too longs and i'm getting a little agitated... Never get enough sun when the weather is like this... With windchill we hit -49F last night.....

Usually I would be out riding snowmobiles, but I was not able to buy one this year, a new garage instead !!!!!!! So i am watching all my freinds ride snowmobiles, and everyone else run RC and i'm laying low saving $$$ for a big ass garage my wife wants !!!! So yeah I am a little pissy lately !
Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 PM
rhylsadar

for me some basic elements are:

- first of all i accept my subjectivity regardless of how much experience i have or not. i only have an opinion. however that opinion may be well or less well founded.

that implicates: that i would never think i have found the holy grail of thruth especially not in such a thing as rc. that i can accept the opinion of other rc buddies even though it differs from mine. that i do not take it personal at all i somebody hates my car or what i did with it or whatever feature of it. i do not preach to other people what is 'best' because i understood long ago that it is illusionary and simply wrong and egomaniac to claim that. i do however totally accept that there is a different content of informaton in the posts of different persons. so there are differences between the newbies, wannabes, real experiences bashers, racers etc etc.

- for most people rc is a hobby

that implcates: as i spend (waste) my worthy spare time with there is only one criteria for judgment: FUN! if i have fun whatever i do with my rc it is ok. (if someone is a professional racer and earns his money with it everything is different! my guess is that there are very few such people... and they probably do not hang around forums very much)

- i can understand people want to compare their rc models. imo it should all be about pros and cons here.

implication: there is no such thing as the 'best' overall. its all about your preferences, budget etc etc. so there will always just be an individual 'best' solution for yourself.

- rc is a hobby and adds nothing to my social life status.

implication: i do not try to be 'cool' or something with my models. actually i do not care much what other people think about them. i have paid for them so they only have to serve my ego. if i like them everything is ok. i understand that my rc car is just an rc car and not part of my individuality. so i dont get angry if you dis my rc model. (however i will surely not like you more than before :-)) )

i personally have had quite some rc cars. i liked them all for some reason thats why i bought the after all.
sadly i have only driven cars until now. i would like to fly some helicopter once or steer a boat etc. i hope i will do that sometime.

so the answer to the the ever returning question 'what is best?' seems quite obvious for me: it depends.

but hey that is just my opinion.
thx for your time.
bye
rhylsadar

Old 01-24-2008, 05:56 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: rhylsadar

for me some basic elements are:

- first of all i accept my subjectivity regardless of how much experience i have or not. i only have an opinion. however that opinion may be well or less well founded.

that implicates: that i would never think i have found the holy grail of thruth especially not in such a thing as rc. that i can accept the opinion of other rc buddies even though it differs from mine. that i do not take it personal at all i somebody hates my car or what i did with it or whatever feature of it. i do not preach to other people what is 'best' because i understood long ago that it is illusionary and simply wrong and egomaniac to claim that. i do however totally accept that there is a different content of informaton in the posts of different persons. so there are differences between the newbies, wannabes, real experiences bashers, racers etc etc.

- for most people rc is a hobby

that implcates: as i spend (waste) my worthy spare time with there is only one criteria for judgment: FUN! if i have fun whatever i do with my rc it is ok. (if someone is a professional racer and earns his money with it everything is different! my guess is that there are very few such people... and they probably do not hang around forums very much)

- i can understand people want to compare their rc models. imo it should all be about pros and cons here.

implication: there is no such thing as the 'best' overall. its all about your preferences, budget etc etc. so there will always just be an individual 'best' solution for yourself.

- rc is a hobby and adds nothing to my social life status.

implication: i do not try to be 'cool' or something with my models. actually i do not care much what other people think about them. i have paid for them so they only have to serve my ego. if i like them everything is ok. i understand that my rc car is just an rc car and not part of my individuality. so i dont get angry if you dis my rc model. (however i will surely not like you more than before :-)) )

i personally have had quite some rc cars. i liked them all for some reason thats why i bought the after all.
sadly i have only driven cars until now. i would like to fly some helicopter once or steer a boat etc. i hope i will do that sometime.

so the answer to the the ever returning question 'what is best?' seems quite obvious for me: it depends.

but hey that is just my opinion.
thx for your time.
bye
rhylsadar

dude was all that drivel necessary... this thread is all about preferences, what we like and why we like it...No need for all that preaching dude... consider this thread like a consumers report on various products......

this hobby to me is about fun... having a model that constantly falls apart and needs to be repaired takes alot of the fun out of it.....My CRT went 7 gallons without a single part breaking, I had the most fun I have ever had in RC with that CRT FYI... getting to run gallon after gallon without having to be rebuilding diffs and replacing spur gears was awesome... Since I got into Truggies I have a whole new Zeal for the Hobby....I have had MT's since the very first edition T-Maxx, and I was sick to death of an RC that brokek every time I ran it....to mr having fun is burning nitro, and if your machine is always broken its pretty tough to burn nitro...
Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 PM
ericem

Ya truggy's are amazing!! They are usually light and only have a center diff with 1 speed. SO ALOT more reliable and duable in every way. Even faster!! 6th gallon on my TT ST-1 RTR running a Mach 427 and everything looks good as new and nothing has broken between that!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:00 PM
jonnymac

For shear single mindedness and ease of maintenance buggies rock! nothing is faster round a track.
For bashing though it has to be MT's.
I like them both (with truggies being a compromise), but i'll always have a strong place in my heart for buggies
Old 01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

For shear single mindedness and ease of maintenance buggies rock! nothing is faster round a track.
For bashing though it has to be MT's.
I like them both (with truggies being a compromise), but i'll always have a strong place in my heart for buggies

you know if you look at the results of alot of pro level races you'll see Truggies quite often set the fastest laps at the events...under ideal track conditions a buggy may be faster, but alot of the times Truggies end up being faster..check the results for yourself...At least here in North America with out style of tracks.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

there all made for differend purposes buggies and truggies for racing or bashing i tkink a truggy would be better for bashing than a buggie because of the tire width and there higher up to the groung and the pupose of the monster truck was primarly to bash because of poor track skills and layout and a while ago they were doing a truggy buggie race and the buggies seemed to do better on the track then the truggies by speed around corners and have better air travel but there all made for a differend purpose so in my opinion there is no best one
Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
holinger91

truggys are pretty cool things... but the prices for them things are outrageous. i prefer the mts. and really to say generalitys doesnt work... alot of times in life youll get what you pay for... you pay themoney for a truggy ull prolly enjoy it but the only way to compare them is to almost give a budget. because yea, the 700 dollar stock truggy might be better than the 400 dollar stock savage... but what if you give the same balance... then you need to compare a 700 dollar stock truggy, to a 400 dollar stock savage, + 300 dollars of upgrades.. i then would take the savage. its a money kinda deal.... u cant compare mommys soccer van to daddies ferrari.... give us a even price and the poll changes alot.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
beer=food
Banned

Best allrounder is a truggy, because of its race abilities.
But you are like an earlier post stated, comparing oranges to apples, there of different scales, why not compare my fa18 jet to them as well ? Now whats better is all opinion.
A truggy, when scaled down is a 1/10th version buggy, is no match for a MT in 1/10th scale.
A 1/8 MT is no match for a 1/8 truggy.
Apples, and oranges !

l voted truggy, even though l like the revo's more, l base the revo comment on pure enjoyment of use.l find truggies boring.Fast but boring.
l voted truggy because when you dont take scales into account anything can be skewed, is a Datsun a better allrounder than a porche ?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:55 PM
jombo

i like monster trucks but thats me ,now that i have the truggy i wasent all that impressed untill i broke it in and let me tell you it can crash with the best ofthem and not break anything. the last time i rolled a truck cartwheeling was the lst2 about 10 ft and lost the springs on the pipe and ended my day the st1 cartwheeled and end over end about 25 ft(wide open down my driveway , its about 200 ft) . when i went to the truck to see if it was ok thinking the worst it kept on driving till i finished the tank. thats when i was really impressed with the truck and now cant waight for better weather to bring it to the track and see what it can do.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 PM
CBM Racing

I think by now we all know the best platform, race or bash...obviously it's onroad touring cars! jk But seriously, for racing monster truck class, a monster truck wins hands down. For unlimited mt, or truggy class, a truggy will almost always win. If you are racing 1/8 scale buggies, guess what platform will prolly tq and take the win? Jeebus, thats why we have all the different classes! For me, touring cars are #1, followed by monster trucks and then stadium trucks. I love rc's that go fast and handle great more than anything, I also love to pull wheelies, make huge jumps and blast around , over, and through obstacles. The mt's fit the bill quite well and affordably for the latter.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rhylslader was right on..

And this thread is no less pointless than the all the others that come up.

Everybody has their preferences, and is entitled to them.

What bothers me is when people confuse what interests or is important to them with what other people want. The BIGGEST example is clear to see in this very thread: racers defining quality in racing terms, though A LOT of people here have nothing to do with competitive racing. I would go so far as to say that here in the MT forum what, way more than half don't race. That means they bash. And that means getting around a track (not to mention cutting a fraction of a second off a lap-time) means nothing to their RC experience. Currently this is also happening in the truggy forums.., which are populated mostly by racers, but more newby non-racers are joining all the time(to the chagrin of the racers ha ha ha.....)

But there are so many different priorities for people, and so many different products, that you can't really say which is "the best RC platform"..

FOR ME, what I like to do most in RC, whatever anybody else thinks about it, is get air. I like going for big air, flips, etc.. Getting around a track quickly doesn't interest me - nor does good fuel mileage, to name just one other example of totally different priorities..

And I'm as addicted to RC as I am largley because my first RC - a Savage, refused to break - again, and again, and again, and again...

On a short side-note, I sometimes just don't know what people are doing to their Savages when they keep saying they have so many problems with them. The main culprit I think is that they drop too powerful engines in them, and then the drivetrain goes.. For all around bashing, you don't need a Nova 528 in a Savage.. Or even a Picco 28.

Unless you like to wrench.. And hey, some people like that... Not me though...

Now, I currently have an LST2, a Savage, a Muggy, and a Hyper ST Pro.

The two MT's are GREAT for what I like to do... The Muggy is still relatively new to me, but it does fly nicely..

Now, I'm gonna have to sell one of the above trucks. I happen to want to get into racing, but it may prove unfeasible. In which case, right now I'd be thinking of selling my used Muggy, or my brand-new Hyper. Right now it seems like a really tough call..

And when I just look at the shocks on each - again, given what I want to do - well, I have doubts about the Hyper.... How can those rinky-dink little shocks stand up to repeated drops from ten-feet up?? I don't know for sure cuz I haven't even run it yet, so I'll admit it'still open.. But well, maybe later I'll take a pic of the Hyper next to the Muggy, and you can see for yourself..

Anyway, I know people like to discuss this stuff, however pointless, especially in the winter when they can't get out and run - which I'd much rather be doing too... So my $.02(OK, 2 dollars...) as an answer to the question is the LST2, provided you have the Dynamite engine brace and New Era roll-bar.

It's big, fast, tough, handles great for an MT, but can be raced well too if you happen to care about racing. But even that being said, I really like my Savage, whatever anybody else may think about them... After all, it - like my opinions - is mine, and I can like what I want....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.