Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Warhead vs Warhead EVO?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:31 PM
ssllc902

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warhead vs Warhead EVO?

Ok I just orderd the Warhead Evo with out doing my reasearch. I really liked the Tower Hobbies 3 pay plan so inmpluse buy it was. I have been a nitro/gas plane guy for alot of years and thought I would get back into rccars and trucks. Now I have read some 36 pages out of 407 of the Anyone own a warhead? thread here at rcu and it was based alot on the first one that came out. My question is should I send it back or keep it? Now I know there is alot of diffrent oppions on this and is probly a touchy subject with many but have they really made the changes need to be a worthy opponet with out spending over $150 to $200 in upgrades? Or would it be wiser to spend a little more on the next truck that will need less upgrades? The warhead evo sure looks like a nice MT. Does any one race it?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:43 PM
ssllc902

Default RE: Warhead vs Warhead EVO?

Also to add to this if a was to keep the Warhead EVO have they made any improvement so the parts can handle the cold any better? I know most plastic get britel in the cold stuff but it really sound like the first WARHEAD was a real momas boy in the cold.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:04 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: ssllc902

Also to add to this if a was to keep the Warhead EVO have they made any improvement so the parts can handle the cold any better? I know most plastic get britel in the cold stuff but it really sound like the first WARHEAD was a real momas boy in the cold.

no matter what, junk the stock engine and get a nice one and start investing for aluminum parts..then u'l start liking warhead...i have the first edition of warhead and i call it a headache[:@] but now after lots of mods i love it,,the more i hate the more i love.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79323.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	860851  
Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 PM
ssllc902

yea I hear ya. I already have thought about putting a os 30 in it. Any other sugestion on what motor will fit with out a lot of mods? Also what aluminum would you buy 1st? Did you ever hear if the super charger available for the stock engine helped at all or made a diffrence?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 PM
ThermalRD

They've made alot of changes to that EVO. Atleast thats my understanding. Im waiting to hear some decent reviews on the truck. All the negative from the initial release has scared me off. Let us know how ya like it!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:59 AM
keeblerelf

Like most people, the only problems I have is with the engine and the half-tank leaning issue, but I've heard even the Savage does that. I'm still running the stock engine, until tax refunds come through

I've beaten my Warhead up pretty good and only came out with a busted front skid plate and broken engine mount (which ended up stripping the spur gear.. no biggie). Also, I'd recommend ditching reverse with the FOC shaft and getting the race steering kit mod to get more steering out of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96337.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	861262  
Old 01-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Rice_slayer

As everyone hassaid, stock engine SUCKS, alot! Mine finely died and im getting an axial .28 next friday to put it. When the engine was actually running properly, The truck was a tank!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:39 AM
wave waker

yea I hear ya. I already have thought about putting a os 30 in it. Any other sugestion on what motor will fit with out a lot of mods? Also what aluminum would you buy 1st? Did you ever hear if the super charger available for the stock engine helped at all or made a diffrence?

i would say get aluminum steering linkage kit first, the stock breaks pretty easy, replace the spur and bell gears to metal, shock tower is pretty easy to break too,,though reverse is a sweet to have but causes a lot of tranny grinding so better get the forward shaft only...then everytime parts break start replacing it with aluminum.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:08 AM
davido666

My warhead has been running great I have a few upgrades like the metal servo saver and metal steering. Upgrade the steering for sharper turning. Metal spur gear and hardened clutch bell. I put in an axial 32 but my old super tiger was running great and good temps on it. It just wanted to put in a different motor for the hell of it. Bigger and softer tires to cushion the landings. The truck must have an inline fuel filter put in. There is no filter built in the tank so it needs a fitler to keep the dirt out of the engine. I still have a lot of plastic because it is lighter than the aluminum which means it flies further.[>:]
Old 01-26-2008, 01:23 PM
sillyroller

Hello i Just bought an evo and it seems hard to get the carb set right .And also had alot of other stuff to fix like the allen screws on the shifting shaft but it seems to be a solid truck once you get the tuning issues ironed out but i think it has alot stronger parts than a traxxas as i own one of those to. but does not seem to be as fast as some of the others out there,,good luck
Old 01-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Deftones123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my warhead about 3 months ago and I hated it at first, got it and ran 2 tanks through it and it wouldnt run below 350 degrees no matter what settings, so I had to send it out to hobby services which was free, they replaced the engine free, they had great customer service. Got the truck back and it ran amazing despite the problems its run great and im happy, great platform.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:13 AM
mIRCBoss

I didn't have a problem ! start at 4 1/2 turns and break it in, every tank of gas go 1/2 turn clockwise for 5 gas tanks, I'm reuuning mine at 2 1/2 turns and it runs great

P.S. for all newbies out there you should get a fail safe unit for your warhead
Old 01-27-2008, 01:50 AM
ssllc902

ORIGINAL: davido666

My warhead has been running great I have a few upgrades like the metal servo saver and metal steering. Upgrade the steering for sharper turning. Metal spur gear and hardened clutch bell. I put in an axial 32 but my old super tiger was running great and good temps on it. It just wanted to put in a different motor for the hell of it. Bigger and softer tires to cushion the landings. The truck must have an inline fuel filter put in. There is no filter built in the tank so it needs a fitler to keep the dirt out of the engine. I still have a lot of plastic because it is lighter than the aluminum which means it flies further.[>:]
Ok this also brings up a great question. What is the best or biggest engine to put in it? Can the evo be set up from stock with stock everything to pull the front end up if you choose to?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:57 AM
ssllc902

ORIGINAL: sillyroller

Hello i Just bought an evo and it seems hard to get the carb set right .And also had alot of other stuff to fix like the allen screws on the shifting shaft but it seems to be a solid truck once you get the tuning issues ironed out but i think it has alot stronger parts than a traxxas as i own one of those to. but does not seem to be as fast as some of the others out there,,good luck
It really seems like most say the tuneing of the engine is a chore and only few that post here have had good luck right off the bat. I read the early warhead had trouble tunning because alot of the engines not sealed right. Heck some had 2 had gaskets some had one. Does the engine still have the same prob with sealing?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:58 AM
ssllc902

ORIGINAL: mIRCBoss

I didn't have a problem ! start at 4 1/2 turns and break it in, every tank of gas go 1/2 turn clockwise for 5 gas tanks, I'm reuuning mine at 2 1/2 turns and it runs great

P.S. for all newbies out there you should get a fail safe unit for your warhead
From the sounds of it u are very lucky!!! Maybe you can come tune mine!!! lol
Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 PM
jbb

just get an axial and fwd only conversion, dust boots for CV joints and a Lil alum you'll be happy

p.s. mysuper pooper runs fine just needed to seal it
Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 PM
ssllc902

My WARHEAD EVO came today! Looks like a great truck spent the night putting on the decals or rather capy stickers and did a check over on the truck. I was suprised there was not one bolt or screw that was lose as i checkd them all. I seems like there was a thousand screws. I stoped at LHS and as very lucky to see they carry alot of replacement parts for the warhead but no upgrades, so going to order a couple hundred bucks of alum soon and call it good. Anyone know where the cheepest place to get alum upgardes? I also put it a vernon fail safe that has 3 diffrent points to moniter with a onborad temp gage.I figure since the stock engine has had probs with over heating its a nice feature to be able to set the fail safe to kick in when it gets to a certain temp,that way i know right away if i got one of those heating issues. Plus I didnt have a failsafe or a temp gage on hand so a bought the all in one deal for the same price of them seperate. Will Brake it in tommarow if weather is halfway decent and let u know how it went.

QUESTION***** is the stock am transmiter crap? Is the range worse then most?

Also they sent be the green one!!!! I hate green!!! IF ANYONE HAS ABODY THEY WANA TRADE LET ME KNOW!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Snaut Rocket

My WARHEAD EVO came today! Looks like a great truck spent the night putting on the decals or rather capy stickers and did a check over on the truck. I was suprised there was not one bolt or screw that was lose as i checkd them all. I seems like there was a thousand screws. I stoped at LHS and as very lucky to see they carry alot of replacement parts for the warhead but no upgrades, so going to order a couple hundred bucks of alum soon and call it good. Anyone know where the cheepest place to get alum upgardes? I also put it a vernon fail safe that has 3 diffrent points to moniter with a onborad temp gage.I figure since the stock engine has had probs with over heating its a nice feature to be able to set the fail safe to kick in when it gets to a certain temp,that way i know right away if i got one of those heating issues. Plus I didnt have a failsafe or a temp gage on hand so a bought the all in one deal for the same price of them seperate. Will Brake it in tommarow if weather is halfway decent and let u know how it went.

Also they sent be the green one!!!! I hate green!!! IF ANYONE HAS ABODY THEY WANA TRADE LET ME KNOW!
Tower is where to get the upgrades.
ANd if you want a new transmitter look into the Spektrum dx3.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:17 AM
ssllc902

ORIGINAL: jbb

just get an axial and fwd only conversion, dust boots for CV joints and a Lil alum you'll be happy

p.s. mysuper pooper runs fine just needed to seal it

HOW DO I SEAL MY ENGINE?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:39 PM
davido666

My stock radio works good but the receiver eats batteries. Get a rechargable hump pack. If you get aluminum for the truck it is heavier than the plastic. Alot of aluminum parts are 100% heavier. So the plastic arm that weighs 50 grams will be 100 grams alum. If you want alum parts I suggest the servo saver and the control arm for the steering. Aluminum diff cups, metal spur gear (remember to loctite the six screws they don't do it), hardened clutch bell and the bulkheads for the truck. You do need a failsafe for the truck. Buy a good fuel filter because the truck doesn't have one. Just keep the engine rich for breaking in and follow the video on the dvd and take your time. If the motor overheats once you tune the high speed needle open up the low speed needle to richen up the low speed to keep the engine cooler. Remember only 1/8 turns when tuning. My truck was used and the kid who owned it before me had the carb all screwed up. I started at factory settings and my motor runs 270 tops and averages around 240 before I replaced it with the axial engine for the hell of it. Make sure you use a temp guage. It you want to start the truck easy you can buy and fuel primer bulb to pump the fuel to the engine. I put one on my truck and it is the best 5 bucks I spent. It makes it so easy to start the truck. Good Luck
Old 01-30-2008, 07:26 PM
davido666

Take a look at the new evo by duratrax.

http://www.buggy-sport.info/include....contentid=8451
Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
gregmiller06

I'vehad my warhead evo for about four months now and had a few problems like the engine needed to be replaced runs great now
chewed up plastic spur gears, the reverser imput gear was broke by the onway bearing in the tranny, but the steering sticks sometimes
or it will only turn one way. what would cause that. what kinda engines would fit without any kinda mods.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:57 PM
ssllc902

Well for my 1st nitro I love the warhead. However I cant keep i under 300 degrees. I have not touched the low spped needle yet cause i have only ran 4 tanks thorugh it. 1st tank it ran about 270 every tank after been real hot. Next tank I will richen lowspeed a tad to see if that helps.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 PM
ssllc902

ORIGINAL: davido666

Take a look at the new evo by duratrax.

http://www.buggy-sport.info/include....contentid=8451
what is the diffrence? Looks just like my evo. If i put diffrent tires and that body would I have a RTX too? I thinks its the same truck as the warhead they just put a diffrent body and tires on it and gave it a new name to help build sales. Anyone disagree?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:35 PM
davido666

Well for my 1st nitro I love the warhead. However I cant keep i under 300 degrees. I have not touched the low spped needle yet cause i have only ran 4 tanks thorugh it. 1st tank it ran about 270 every tank after been real hot. Next tank I will richen lowspeed a tad to see if that helps.
That is what I did on mine. I richened the low speed needle and I got lower temps and more smoke. Mine ran around 250 with the new settings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.