Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

T-Maxx 2.5 or Savage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 12:35 PM
GMCYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx 2.5 or Savage?

I know this has probably been discussed a billion times...But now it is time for me to buy and I am having second thoughts on which to get. I know the tmaxx is faster out of the box, which is cool, but my friend is always having trouble trying to start his also. I dont know anyone with a Savage yet, but I hear that it is a much better vehicle and can be made as fast or faster than the tmaxx with a new clutch bell and something else...

Can you please give me some pointers and some direction as to which way I should go...

Thanks for your time!
Old 04-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Unstable

ok..

t-maxx good bash truck. fast out of the box, upgradable till the cows come home.

savage good bash truck GREAT suspension, aftermarket support is starting to pick up but its nowhere near the maxx yet.

if your gonna be racing your buddy on open field and flats the savage will fall behind, but if the terrain is really rough with alot of jumps the savage is better soaking up the bumps.

I got the savage because .... well it looks cool.
I have done 10 foot drops with mine and the shocks just eat it all up wanting more. but my friends t-maxx pulls away on the flats but doesnt seem to land as good.

so its a matter of what you want.

speed or stability.

oh the savage is a bit more complicated to work on as its a built up chassis and the maxx is a "bolt everything to a frying pan" type
Old 04-15-2003, 02:10 PM
GMCYA

Cool, thanks for the reply...I plan on doing a little of everything with it...racing around on road and off road. Is it hard or exspensive to make the Savage faster than the t-maxx??
Old 04-15-2003, 02:15 PM
James1701

My thoughts are, Tmaxx its a nice looking and fast truck, but also out of the box it has more parts than Savage, so its just extra stuff to break and malfunction. I like the KISS approach myself.

K keep
I it
S simple
S stupid
Old 04-15-2003, 02:18 PM
GMCYA

So I guess that is another vote for the Savage? lol
Old 04-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Unstable

acually the t-maxx is a simpler build, again it uses the pan chassis,

the savage uses a built chassis (twin verticle plates or TVP) so that alone ups the building.

the suspension on teh savage and the maxx are about the same in complexity and I dont know about the maxx's tranny so I cant comment on that.

a motor removal on both machines is 4 bolts and the motor mount drops out (disc linkage and pipe first) but the savage you need to go through holes in the chassis to get to two screws, a typical allen wrench reaches but it is slightly harder.

were the maxx kills the savage in maintenence is getting to the drive train.

for the savage you need to loosen the shocks on one side (one bolt+nut for each pair) remover the roll bar (6 screws) undue the linkage for the throttle+ break (ball links and either servo horn or adjustment nut) then remove the side plate (7 screws) remove the screws off the tranny (3-4 more screws) then you have access to the tranny case, the out drives, and the brake pad.

its not hard at all its just time consuming esp when dealing with a dirty truck.

but all this makes the savage frame REALLY strong so that even a major blow will probably not damage the major components and you probably will never bend the chassis out of line unless you run it off a 3 story building (even then I think it will still drive away )

so far with almost two gallons through my savage and beating it harshly I have only broken 2 dogbones (get the heavy duty, havent broke one yet) 2 uprights (the new run of savages and all the replacements are reinforced.. havent broke a new one yet), the cooling fins on the engine head (tree jumped out in front of me), the screw to one bumper, and one t-maxx turnbuckle (he flipped and I ran into him oh and the primer for the fuel tank (running it without body)

it has jumped the table top on a BMX track over and over, dropped off a 10 foot cliff, cartwheeled, nosed over run into poles, rocks, trees, more rocks, me, and several other RC cars, it has climbed anything I could find, gone through water up to 5" deep (I water proofed the RX with a bag) and ran through snow taller then it.

again... the T-maxx is a good truck... but I love my savage (oops showing a little bit of bias there arent I )
Old 04-15-2003, 03:57 PM
GMCYA

Cool, great info again! I appreciate it!

How fast does the Savage go out of the box? Is the .21 easy to start? What can be done to make it faster??
Old 04-15-2003, 04:18 PM
James1701

Yes the max is a simpler build but by the time you throw in the easy start and the like, its something extra to go wrong, not to say the max is not a good truck, it is. I just like to the least amount of troubleshooting, thats all.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:29 PM
LandShark

savage is about 33mph, good enough for a MT.

there are many good directly drop-in .21 engine for

savage. they are about the same price as the stock engine.

buy a new savage, sell the brand new stock engine, then use

the money to buy a faster engine.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:12 PM
GMCYA

Thanks again for the replys...

Is there a way to pick up some MPH with a clutch bell and stuff?? I would like to keep the stock motor at first so I can play with it right away. Does anyone know how much h.p. the stock .21 makes?

Also does anyone know where the cheapest place on the net it to get one??
Old 04-15-2003, 05:49 PM
LandShark

stock savage .21BB engine has 1.7hp

meganitro.com

Old 04-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LandShark
stock savage .21BB engine has 1.7hp

meganitro.com

Landshark,

Just curious, where did you get that 1.7hp number from? The HPI site claims that the .21 that comes stock in the Savage has 2.3 hp. Now, I dont believe that for a minute, but the 1.7 hp figure is one that people say alot but nobody seems to actually know where it came from. I am of the opinion that using horsepower to rate these engines is completely wrong seeing as how there is no "industry standard" test or equipment for rating HP on these engines. Maybe watts or some other form of output might do?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:30 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by GMCYA
Thanks again for the replys...

Is there a way to pick up some MPH with a clutch bell and stuff?? I would like to keep the stock motor at first so I can play with it right away. Does anyone know how much h.p. the stock .21 makes?

Also does anyone know where the cheapest place on the net it to get one??

you can gear up for more speed but your run time will decrease and you accleration will suck. I feel accleration is better then speed as far as MTs go. If it was me i would do what landshark said. sell the brand new engine and use the money to buy a nicer one.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:37 PM
GMCYA

Then whats the point of buying a .21 rtr truck if I have to swap out the motor as soon as I get it to be happy??
Old 04-15-2003, 10:21 PM
grampi

You won't run into that problem with a T-Maxx. It has plenty of power right out of the box.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:59 PM
lilmaxx

but the t-maxx is smaller than the savage. who wants small?
my friend has a t-maxx, and it always seems to be the case that while he is trying to get his started i have been running for a couple of minutes. Plus the t-maxx runs very very hot (small heatsink on the t-maxx.

I agree with unstable i race my savage at a moto track and seeing it land 12-15 foot of air over a tabletop is incredible and awesome.
savage = tuff
Old 04-17-2003, 02:30 PM
LandShark

size is not really an issue.

but i agree that savage is durable
Old 04-17-2003, 02:41 PM
grampi

The Savage is definitely bigger, but the Maxx is by no means small. The Maxx is tough as well.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:17 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Also, to equalize the playing fields.. When we talk about our rigs let us also list the mods we have in em!!

check out some of the tmaxxas people have:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...30&forumid=216

-ramm
Old 04-17-2003, 06:53 PM
txt1
My Feedback: (1)

the t-maxx will beat the savage right out the box,and with there new motor it's alot better then the old trx 15 buy the way it even has wider arms,they have done alot with the t-maxx over the years and the hpi just came out so its up too you. i have a t-maxx and a e-maxx. there fun to play with as well as durable,plus i'm bluiding a hardcore racing mutant maxx,thats all aluminum,with a hyper 8 port, so its up to you to deside on what your wanting out of a truck but rember that the t-maxx is cheaper then the savage and it comes with eveything that you would have to buy for the hpi to match up to the t -maxx
Old 04-18-2003, 11:09 PM
savageone

Matter of preference, of course. I think the size and look issue are bigger factors than most people make them out to be. Would you rather have a Dodge Dakota RT, or a Chevy Silverado? The Dakota will be faster stock, but the Silverado looks better (I think. Can you tell my first choice was the Savage?) and is bigger. What do you want? You're probably going to be spending plenty of money anyway so start out with the right platform. That way you'll end up eith the perfect truck for you, instead of wishing you had something bigger or smaller or less wide. Performance is important, but with mods you can always change it.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:18 AM
grampi

If you've never had an MT, like I didn't before I bought my Maxx, any MT is going to shock you with it's size. When I bought my Maxx, the only vehicle I had was an RC 10GT. The Maxx dwarfs the RC 10, even though they're both 1/10 scale. I know the Savage is bigger, and the MGT will probably be even bigger still. So if bigger is what you're after, why stop at 1/8? Why not go for a 1/6, or even a 1/4? The point is, bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:26 AM
savageone

Right, right, grumpy gramps. But he was talking about the t-maxx and the savage....
Old 04-19-2003, 03:28 AM
grampi

Exactly. Like I said, bigger doesn't always mean better.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:41 AM
savageone

True. It's a matter of preference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.