Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

HPI savage X for first nitro?

Old 02-08-2008, 11:04 AM
tripleup05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI savage X for first nitro?

I have been comparing nitro trucks for awhile now and have bascially decided on the Savage X. It seems to be a good combination of durability, potenial raceability, good looks, and price. My last question however is how easy the engine is to tune. As I said, this will be my first nitro truck, and I don't have any experience with them. Alot of people have tried steering me towards Traxxas for their customer support, tutorial videos, etc, but I definately don't want a T-maxx, and I don't really want a Revo. Will the Savage be an OK truck to learn how to properly tune and keep running?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
zud00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HPI savage X for first nitro?

The savage was my first RC truck. I got it in June and had no previous experience with RC. I found the HPI engine easy to tune. Being a newbie, a temperature gague was a big help to know how to tune it. The savage is super durable, and it is not to difficult to work on. If you have any mechanical skills, you won't have any problems making repairs. HPI has great customer support! You will not be disappointed if you get the Savage.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Soothsayerman

I think the savage would be a great first truck as would a revo. When I got my revo is was a toss up between the savage and traxxas and I think either one would be a great first time nitro.

Whatever you do get though, break it in properly, read the manual before you start driving, take it slow, be patient and you'll have a ton of fun for a long time. Not breaking it in right and not having your engine tuned right can bring the fun to a screeching halt very quickly with nitro.

You can watch the traxxas vids on youtube and that might be a good idea because even though its a savage the part about tuning etc still applies.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Louie2994
Banned

i recently bought the savage x. it is my first. i crashed it into a tree during break in and broke the steering servo. lost the roto start shaft and lost a ton of body pins. all my fault. i broke it in on a block and tuned it on a block. got fed-up with waiting for the servo so i drove it in straight lines. its very easy to tune just BREAK IT IN RIGHT. THE MANUAL IS NOT DETAILED SO LOOK AROUND THESE FORUMS FOR TIPS. DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON THIS FIRST. IT HELPS BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:51 PM
nitroman420
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

so im using a tq controller not the hpi tf-3 that came with the savage. the tq has 70.30 and 50.50 settings. on 50/50 it will start but not idle. at 70/30 it will start and idle but not too long....i have my best results on 7/30 i think but it kinda bogs out and i gotta turn teh idle up on the controller to get the rpms up.....any tips?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Louie2994
Banned

ORIGINAL: nitroman420

so im using a tq controller not the hpi tf-3 that came with the savage. the tq has 70.30 and 50.50 settings. on 50/50 it will start but not idle. at 70/30 it will start and idle but not too long....i have my best results on 7/30 i think but it kinda bogs out and i gotta turn teh idle up on the controller to get the rpms up.....any tips?
its cold or lsn/idle screw is not tuned right
Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 PM

The savage was my first nitro...took me awhile to get used to things but it wasnt hard =] it was a savage x 4.1
Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 PM
BudBud

My first monster truck was a Thunder Tiger EK4. I would not recommend duplicating that feat. The Savage is great. BB
Old 03-14-2008, 12:02 PM
nitroman420
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

my first truck was a 2.5 nitro rustler. but omg compared to the savage x its nothig. i was blown away with the savage. the tmaxx ranks right up there as well as i had the 2.5 model after my rustler and before the savage. the savage is definately the better model but just sucks using the glow plug ignitor and the rotostart2. do they make a ez start like traxxas for the savage??? lmk
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM
rex87

Savage X is a great truck to start with. It's really durable so it can take a beating. It holds a tune so you wont have to be a pro to have it running good. My friend just got one like 2 weeks ago, These videos below will help you tune and I recommend them to anyone learning about nitros.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJ...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVKm...eature=related watch videos 1-6