Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Has anyone installed the Big Joe tires and 40 series wheels on their T-Maxx?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Has anyone installed the Big Joe tires and 40 series wheels on their T-Maxx?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 07:36 PM
grampi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed the Big Joe tires and 40 series wheels on their T-Maxx?

How do you like them? Do they seem to improve the handling? Do they provide better traction? How do they effect the overall gearing? I know they're larger in diameter than the stock Maxx tires, so they must have some effect on the overall gearing, I'm just wondering if it's a noticable amount. This is a $100 upgrade, I've got to have some kind of justification for getting them besides just looks.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:36 PM
AIR-SAVAGE

Default Has anyone installed the Big Joe tires and 40 series wheels on their T-Maxx?

A friend of mine put 40 series on his tmaxx,and we noticed a difference in the take off.It was a litlle doggie off the line.Top end it didnt seem to make much of a difference.If you run them on a hard surface it seems to make it sluggish when turning. On dirt they were ok far as turning but still kinda a slow out of the hole. I tried them on my savage also and got the same results. They are a whole lot of tire....lol But they look really cool..
Old 04-20-2003, 01:12 AM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

installing them should make for higher speeds and lower accleration. but the maxx can pull wheelies so i doubt you would be upset with the accel.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:55 AM
wannabeturbo

I would think you be able to change some of you gearing ratios to keep your original acceleration. changing clutch bell and spur gear would seem to compensate for any acceleration loss that you might lose to these tires.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:29 AM
cooljoe164

Yeah, but wannabe, he's still adding rotational mass to his drivetrain. I agree that you could gear it for the origional acceleration, but then you will probably loose top speed. Well, just my 2 cents
Old 04-20-2003, 02:32 AM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

LOL like the other guy said alot of tire!! I tried a set and didnt like them, for the simple fact I didnt like the way the truck handled with them(never flipped though), and just didnt like the over all look, plus my steering servo chewed up alot of voltage, turning these big suckers!! But they might be just what you want, youll never know until you actualy try them!!
Old 07-23-2003, 12:00 PM
tanasit

Default I tried them too!

Since these are the large and heavy tires, so I decided to put them on the E-maxx with more torque at start up than the T-maxx. But I go one step beyond which is the brushless motor by Hacker and 12 cell battery pack and super high torque servo which will turn both front wheel while sitting still! First the gears set was 72 spur and 15 pinion (I didn't even try the stock 66 spur because Hacker motor says NOT to) which doesn't do much wheelie but very fast on second gear. Next the pinion went down to 13 and it will do wheelie for about 30 feet and the top speed seems unchanged. On loose dirt it will do donut after donutssss. On hard surface with hard turn it won't flip but will lift the inner front tire ifd you set the shock tension NOT too hard. These are steel spur with dual slipper clutch from RRP. Next I go for plastic 74 spur but haven't try it yet.

I have the new 8.5 inch IMEX Jumbo Kong on order and ready for them with plastic 76 spur and 13 tooth pinion with 4 pack of 6 cell battery.

My conclusion is that the larger tires are not suitable for T-maxx unless they have hopped up motor and steering servo.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:20 PM
tanasit

Default Brushless E-maxx pic!

Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	95774_28337.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	43512  
Old 07-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Savage_Dias

I run 40's on my Savage & I love them. Turning sucks but I still have a stock servo. It's a completely different monster when jumping & landing (in a good way I think). Don't plan on having great acceleration but try to pay attention to the $%!# eating grins you & everyone else has when they see it run. hehe
Old 07-23-2003, 08:51 PM
elway358

I have them on my Maxx and I think they're great. They stopped almost all of the rollovers. They evne work pretty darn good on my small local track. Two thumbs up for me. I just think monsters are supposed to have big tires For even bigger, get you some Psychos!!