Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

why cant they just build more gas rc things

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

why cant they just build more gas rc things

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
baboso
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why cant they just build more gas rc things

its cheaper than nitro and u dont have to tune it as much ***[&:] so its practical to make more!!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Fiegs

Default RE: why cant they just build more gas rc things

Becuase gas cars usually cost over $1000
Old 02-20-2008, 12:06 PM
jimhens82

who cares enjoy what they have!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
binaryterror

They make the Compaggnucci (Italian) who makes small displacement nearer to the size of our nitros.

The reason nitros need tuning often is the size. 3cc is more precise than 23cc-30cc. So the input and air control is more critical. So if a company made a gas 3cc engine it would be just as finicky on tuning.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:01 PM
iamnot

a spark plug the size of a glow plug...
now that would be a real pita to set and keep the correct spark gap
Old 02-20-2008, 01:07 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: binaryterror
The reason nitros need tuning often is the size. 3cc is more precise than 23cc-30cc. So the input and air control is more critical. So if a company made a gas 3cc engine it would be just as finicky on tuning.
Oversimplifying it a bit, don't ya think? Ask guys who are flying large scale airplanes and have run engines like the O.S. 1.60 and can compare it to a Zenoah G-26 or a DA50 which engines they spend more time fiddling with. Due to the nature of the beast, glow engines almost always require more frequent adjustment--outside factors such as variations in weather are more critical in these compression ignition engines compared to a similar sized gasoline or even alcohol spark ignition engine.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:34 AM
tizdaz

the main reason why gas aint as popular as nitro is down to a number of reasons! ..

Price = atm (ltho much cheaper than it once was) it is still more expensive to have a gasser.

Size = Bigger the better you say? ..I agree, but the problem is moving it around! Carrying a 1/8 nitro around is no problems, try carrying a 1/6 arund under your arm! :s ..you will see what i mean

Safety factor = Beleive it or not Gassoline is ALOT more flammable than nitro, infact nitro isnt really that flammable compared to other fuels, im not saying if you put a match to nitro it wont ignite, ofc it will, but if you got a teaspoon of nitro & a teaspoon of gas then ignited them both, the nitro would burn slowly & almost invisble. The gas however would prob combust & go into a fireball :P DONT TRY THIS @ HOME kiddy's! its just an example & also dangerous!

The other safety factor (prob the more serious one) is the power. If a 50mph 1/8 nitro hit someone, yup it would hurt & *might* even break someone ankle..but more than likely it would just leave them with a bruise! ...if a gasser travelling at 40mph+ ..id be suprised if they managed to walk away. & this brings me to my next point...

Nitros can be pretty much used anywhere, local field/park etc.. even with other people around, its still fairly safe to use your nitro. If however you went to a field/park with your gasser & theres lots of people about it can be dangerous & i think this is why nitros are more popular.. A nitro can be used pretty much anywhere...a gasser on the other hand is limited to areas of safe useage & alot of times for the most of us (unless we lucky enough to live next to a largescale track!) this means travling uut of town to an area good/safe for bashing & usually requires some sort of transport (ie: Car!) as carrying a 1/6 with your toolbox/fuel etc is a nightmare (trust me...iv tried!) :P

If i was a parent (& didnt know much about RC cars/trucks) if i seen the size of a 1/6 gasser, felt the weight & was told it uses a 26cc engine that uses unleaded fuel to run, there is no way i wuld buy that for my son/daughter etc for obvious reasons.

If on the other hand i was shown a nitro that looks *cute* with a small engine, very light in weight then this would be my choice for my child. Side by side any parent who doesnt know anyhting about RC's would choose nitro over gas simply because of the reasons above.

Any parent worries what there child is upto when they are out & about doing there own thing... can you imagine a parent (who knows NOTHING) about RC letting there 10yr old go out with a gallon of unleaded fuel & a 1/6 monster to there local park :P

Nitro will always be the most popular, but gassers are starting to make a stand for themselves especially now when well established RC developers (such as HPI) are entering the market. I can bet before HPI brought out the baja 5b there was MANY people that didnt realise 1/6 gassers actually existed!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
drivefastgto

Nitromethane is used in RC's instead of gasoline for another reason that I'm surprised nobody mentioned:POWER. You simply cannot make near as much HP with gasoline. People figured out decades ago that nitro can easily double the power of a 1:1 drag motor compared to gas. That's how Top Fuelers make 8,000hp from 500ci. There's simply not another economical way to make 1-2hp from an engine the size of your fist. At least not at this time...
Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: rctruckz

Safety factor = Beleive it or not Gassoline is ALOT more flammable than nitro, infact nitro isnt really that flammable compared to other fuels, im not saying if you put a match to nitro it wont ignite, ofc it will, but if you got a teaspoon of nitro & a teaspoon of gas then ignited them both, the nitro would burn slowly & almost invisble. The gas however would prob combust & go into a fireball :P DONT TRY THIS @ HOME kiddy's! its just an example & also dangerous!
Thats not even true. Gasoline is easy to put matches into without flaming, it is only the vapor that is flammable in gasoline.

NitroMethanol and Methanol are both much lighter and will create vapors easier which means it will combust more readily.

Also Gasoline burns very poorly as you can see its orange color, this is a visual if you seen it on fire people would help and therefore it is safer to see the flame. Methanol will burn clear and HOT, so no one would see the flame and you would be rapidly burned without the same attention from on-lookers.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hes right^^^ I nearly blew my house up with a stove turned on and a bottle of nitro when I was 13
Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 PM
iamnot

why don't they make more of them?
simple really,
economics
there's not the demand for gas vehicles as there is for nitro ones

nitros can be bought for $200 - $300 dollars
gassers are $900+

newbs are not going to spend nearly a grand for their first try
maybe 5 or 6 hundred max for a really nice rc but it's a lot less likely that they will pay $1000

so gassers are and will probably stay a niche class enjoyed by a more experienced/informed group of rc'ers
Old 02-22-2008, 01:13 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I'd say the lack of gas ignition cars stems from the size of the currently offered engines. Simply put they are larger and require larger cars. Airplane and helicopter guys like myself run into the same problem. Really don't think price is much of an issue. Sure they are more expensive, but not much more than some of the 1/8 scale 4wd trucks out there, and less than a lot of people have tied up in aftermarket parts and hop-ups. In time I bet we start seeing some 1/8 scale gas cars. There are some engines already available in the airplane side of the hobby that could probably be retrofitted into a car.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:50 PM
tizdaz

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

ORIGINAL: rctruckz

Thats not even true. Gasoline is easy to put matches into without flaming, it is only the vapor that is flammable in gasoline.

NitroMethanol and Methanol are both much lighter and will create vapors easier which means it will combust more readily.

Also Gasoline burns very poorly as you can see its orange color, this is a visual if you seen it on fire people would help and therefore it is safer to see the flame. Methanol will burn clear and HOT, so no one would see the flame and you would be rapidly burned without the same attention from on-lookers.
ok to cut a long story short!

in my nitro days i would often spill nitro, best way to clean it up...is burn... many times i did this & it never went crazy or explode etc. Petrol on the other hand ive lit a few times (long story) as others have said, its the fumes with petrol thats flammable which makes it more dangerous, where as nitro its the actual fluid thats flammable.

but id trust my kids with a tin of nitro alot than i would with petrol can.

someone mentioned putting a match to petrol & it not going up in a flame..sorry but if the fluid is still visable there will be fumes & that IS highly flammable... i dont believe for 1 second that if someone put a naked flame next to a tin of petrol it wont go up... infact it would explode. this is why petrol is more dangeorous.. some people think you need to ignite the fluid of petrol, you dont ..its the fumes & the fumes can be far away from the fluid its self but still go up in a fireball... how do i know? ive done it :P
Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 PM
racer12306

Nitro burns, gas explodes. That is why top fuel dragsters/funny cars start up by dumping gas into the injector hat. Nitro explodes because of compression.

Throw a rock at a puddle of nitro and that rock becomes a projectile.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 PM
snoking16

im getting a baja 5b here in a few weeks. they almost sound too good to be true compared to nitros.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Louie2994
Banned

i had emailed os engines about one of their 4 stroke engines that looks like a nitro engine and this is what i got back

"Thanks for your inquiry.

Fitting the FS-26S-C II into the HPI Savage will take some serious modifications. Gearing the car properly would also be a challenge. This engine does not need a tuned pipe. It will run fine on a straight exhaust. You can run normal car fuel through the FS-26S-C. We do not have any temperature data." i think ill stick to nitro FOR NOW.

gassers will pay for them selves over time. 1 gallon of fuel =$2.85(in nj) 1 gallon of trinity monster 20% racing fuel= $30.00
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````
$550 for new savage plus everything needed for starting and maintence.

1 year of nitro fuel (3 gallons a month) = $1080

total(including est. broken parts) $1630 ($2000
`````````````````````````````````````````````````
new baja=$1000

1 year of gas: 102.5

total(including est. broken parts) $1100-$2000

theres not much difference but in the long run the gasser might be cheaper per year.

dont critizize my math mstakes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 PM
iamnot

i'm curious why you think you'll break $400 in parts on a savage
but
only $100 on a large scale car

larger scale rc's still break and replacement parts are more expensive than 1/10 or 1/8 scale parts

also, 3 gallons of nitro a month???
you must be doing some serious rc'ing
i'll usually use a gallon (or so) of nitro a month
and i've got like 12 different nitro vehicles

so, i'm not really questioning your math so much as your assumptions...
Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Louie2994
Banned

ORIGINAL: iamnot

i'm curious why you think you'll break $400 in parts on a savage
but
only $100 on a large scale car

larger scale rc's still break and replacement parts are more expensive than 1/10 or 1/8 scale parts

also, 3 gallons of nitro a month???
you must be doing some serious rc'ing
i'll usually use a gallon (or so) of nitro a month
and i've got like 12 different nitro vehicles

so, i'm not really questioning your math so much as your assumptions...
if your like me who bashes everyday and goes through 4tanks every 1 1/2 hours for about 4 hours you go through alot and also i put 1100 to !!!!!$2000!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 PM
iamnot

you must have more time and disposable income than i do
i don't have 4 free hours in a day to do anything
much less bash that much everyday

and i didn't criticize your math so you cannot criticize my reading [:@]
Old 02-22-2008, 08:53 PM
tizdaz

ORIGINAL: racer12306

Nitro burns, gas explodes. That is why top fuel dragsters/funny cars start up by dumping gas into the injector hat. Nitro explodes because of compression.

Throw a rock at a puddle of nitro and that rock becomes a projectile.
true, but u cant compare nitro fule for our RC models to that of Top Fuel racing, Drag racing fuel is about 90% nitro (used to be 98% or summit along those lines), RC nitro is 30% (or there abouts) so alot more difficult to ignite & no where near as dangerous
Old 02-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Louie2994
Banned

i m sorry for critisizing ur reading and im only 15 so i have time after school
Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

ORIGINAL: Louie2994

hey im 14 and how the hell are you getting all this money?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 PM
savagecommander

the math is where it is..... buy a savvy, and after you get the "new .28" and all the goodies youve blown well over a grand, not to mention the pointed out fuel costs...... and not to be a stickler but gas has double the power potential of nitro, and as far as hazards are concerned, if enough methanol is absorbed through your skin (about 4 oz dependent on you body weight) can deep six you..... read the msds when you have a chance, i gar-on-tee you will treat your fuel differently....now lets talk about getting the best out of both worlds, lets stick a 29cc in the savvy!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Louie2994
Banned

ORIGINAL: nitro.rc.racer

i have loving parents. its soo funny how i got them to buy me the car. i said "mom, dad, if you buy me this i wont do drugs because i will have a hobby."
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

ORIGINAL: nitro.rc.racer

i have loving parents. its soo funny how i got them to buy me the car. i said "mom, dad, if you buy me this i wont do drugs because i will have a hobby."
how do you think i got my cars but i have to buy some of the upgrades i want i dont pay for fuel usally but somtimes i do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.