Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

One or two steering servos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:20 PM
domg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One or two steering servos?

I am going to need to replace the two steering servos in my XTM Monster MT soon, since the stock ones are twitching pretty badly. I've localized the cause of the twitching to the servos themselves, since I just swapped over to a JR XS3 Pro radio and the condition did not change.

I'll need around 300-400oz/in of torque to turn the tires well (40 series Big Joes, 15lb truck).

The two options I'm looking at now are:

Two JR Z650M servos installed in stock locations

or

One JR Z9100T servo installed in one of the two stock locations

I can see already that a drawback to running a single high-torque servo is that I'll probably have to upgrade one of the servo savers to the aluminum hop-up part to handle all that torque being fed through one connection. This would cost another $40.00 for one servo, and double that for two.

Your opinions are welcome...thanks.

-Dom

Here is a picture of the stock setup, albeit with the upgraded servo savers and carbon steering link.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:14 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: One or two steering servos?

I've been told the JR650 servo is pretty unreliable. You might wanna pass on that option. Check out the Monster Pak, that JR sells for the LST2. It has two 8800's in it, and cuts the cost down a bit. Also, that glitching may not be the servos themselves. What radio were you using prior to that XS3? If you have a mix of digital, and non digital servos, you can get a nasty twitch on the servos if you are using any of the hi speed functions built into the radio itself. I found this on my LST, and my muggy when using standard throttle servos with the hi response setting on my radio. Turn it off, and the twitching is gone. Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:37 PM
domg

Thanks for the reply ThermalRD.

I haven't read a bunch about the Z650M, but it's good to know they do have some sort of reputation (in this case bad). I'll be sure to steer clear of those. I hope the Z590 I'm using for throttle/brake isn't as unreliable...hopefully the failsafe will keep things from going too awry if that is the case.

The radio I was using before was the kit radio that comes with the MMT, a Cirrus C3FM (3-channel FM). It had no special hi-speed or framerate functions that I know of, and I did test the steering servos plugged into the new setup without the throttle servo installed - the twitching was present with or without the throttle servo installed.

That Monster Pow'r Pak you mentioned looks like a good buy, though I'd probably just use both of those for the steering...unless you think one would suffice. At that price, I would consider other options to save a few dollars...such as the Ace R/C DS1015's I've heard many good things about. It looks like this is going to cost the better part of $200 either way [&o]

Thanks again,

-Dom
Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
HSVXU6

All I can say is, clean truck, very clean, I wish all my stuff was that clean
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 PM
domg

Haha, yes that was a clean truck. It's not actually mine, however. That's the custom MMT someone won from XTM when they held their video contest last year. Let's just say it was very hopped up...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 AM
rclynx

I use HS5645MG's but the HS645MG's work just fine, besides the twitch your talking about is in almost every RC on the market [&o]
Old 03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
domg

Guys, thanks for your suggestions.

I ended up ordering a single JR Z9100T and will give that a try once it comes in. I think that moving to a single GOOD servo is the best bet since it provides the same torque as the two that came stock, has a much faster transit time, and will draw less power. I'll let you know how it works out.