Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Aww Broke my Pirate....again....which new parts should I get?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Aww Broke my Pirate....again....which new parts should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 07:21 AM
ManicMechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aww Broke my Pirate....again....which new parts should I get?

OK, bit of a long post but bear with me.
Got home last night after reading this forum all day, and my Pirate Monster started talking to me "take me down the fields.....youknow you ant to!!" So, being addicted took it for a spin.
After nearly a tank full of fuel, I checked the head temp with a drop of water, it took about 7 secs to boil of and there had been a nice healthy white trail of smoke at WOT. So I leaned it out about 1/8 turn. Wow, it was like a different truck. Checked the temp again after a few mins and it was still fine, but I left the mixtyre alone.
A few mins later, I noticed at WOT the front tyre was pinching (like dragsters with crinkle walls) so I brought it in, and it looked like the tyre wasn't glued right. No probs I thought, I'll finish the tank then take it back home. 30secs later, engined revved really high and truck slowly came to a stop. DOH!
It turns out I'd blown the back diff, then after all that power was being put to the front, I killed both the front diff and the front driveshaft (the one that goes from the diff to the wheel.)

So, time for a major rebuild. My questions:
Do I replace the diffs with expensive metal ones and not get the 2 speed transmission yet or just hot glue the old ones?
Can I get stronger driveshafts?
Can you get breakdown insurance on these things? (LMAO!)

Questions and comments please guys!
Old 04-25-2003, 07:42 AM
hitler75

Looks like you have an expensive overhaul on hand. How did you manage to break the front and rear differentials? I dread to see my truck doing the same...
Old 04-25-2003, 07:50 AM
ManicMechanic

Its a common fault on Pirate Monsters, just got off the phone to the hobby shop and he says the pinion gears are not meshed fully with the crown gears when it comes from the factory, and they dont fill the diffs with oil. He suggested just re-building the diffs and putting shims behind the pinion gear to give a better mesh and put 7000wt oil in. To do everything I want its gonna cost about £250, but I can get it running again for around £50. Just got to see how much money the boss (wife) will let me spend!!
Old 04-25-2003, 07:55 AM
hitler75

Now that you come to mention it, I have the same kind of problem with my Hyper 7 buggy. But I can tell you, with 250 pounds, you can get the Dominator plus a good radio in Singapore. How is your "boss" taking to all this??
Old 04-25-2003, 08:03 AM
ManicMechanic

Well, its kind of strange, she's happy that I'm enjoying my truck, but I've tried other hobbies before, spent loads and then lost interest. That annoys her, so now with the truck, if its broken, she wants me to fix it, otherwise it just sits gathering dust. If I'm using it, at least it justifies the expense....sort of.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:16 AM
hitler75

Lucky bloke, wish I had a boss like your's. As for your differential problem, all I can suggest is that you take it apart and see what you've really broken or anything's come lose. Then get the appropriate parts for them... maybe it's time you get hardier parts instead of plastic ones, and lubricate the differentials thoroughly. Best of luck with your truck!
Old 04-25-2003, 03:53 PM
James1701

Manic I know the feeling, it is nice when the boss enjoys to see us enjoy our Hobie. I was just out the other evening and was wanting to look at a new tmaxx or savage, when my local lhs did not have any, she forced me to drive an extra 35 miles down the interstate to go look at another store. Gosh I love that woman. Also while we were there I got treated to a new sport maxx with all the fixings. Sad thing is I have not even had time to run it yet and getting ready to go the the store to buy some hop ups lol.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:35 PM
ManicMechanic

Women, when you find a good one, they're amazing, when you find a bad one, its like living with satan himself!!! LMAO!
Old 04-25-2003, 06:03 PM
James1701

ROFLAMO!!!! True how True.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:03 AM
ManicMechanic

ROFLAMO?!? Wos' that mean?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:51 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by ManicMechanic
Its a common fault on Pirate Monsters, just got off the phone to the hobby shop and he says the pinion gears are not meshed fully with the crown gears when it comes from the factory, and they dont fill the diffs with oil
\

This isnt true. Your hobby shop doesnt know what its talking about. It is the planetary gears in side the diff, and the plastic case. When its gets warm it flexes very easy, and lets the gears slip away from each other. Then the ends get stripped off the gears. To fix it you can turn the plan. gears around, but it wont last long that way. Just buy new plan. gears for 16$, and the new al. cases for 11.99. Get the stuff from www.nitrohouse.com or something like that. The cvds are expesnive, but i dont know how those broke. Are you sure there broken?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by ManicMechanic
ROFLAMO?!? Wos' that mean?
I guess he means roflmao, it means rolling on the floor laughing my a** off.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:41 PM
ManicMechanic

Once again Isphius I bow to your superior knowledge, and you've answered the question I was just about to post.
After stripping down the diff it was the planetary gears that were stripped, and my question was going to be why and what do I do stop it happening again.
I've just ordered the new stuff so I'll ring the shop and add the alluminium diff cases to the order.
The CVD shaft is deffinately broken, the dogbone bit at the end where it goes into the front diff cup had snapped off. They only cost me £16 for a pair (I think thats about $20) so no big deal in the great scheme of things.
Once again Isphius you've saved my a*s!!
Old 04-28-2003, 12:44 PM
ManicMechanic

Oh yeah, forgot to say, the diffs had very little grease in them and I've been advised to put 7000wt diff oil in. Is this right?
Bear in mind that my truck is actually a Pirate Bigfoot supplied by Ho Bao not a Pirate Monster from OFNA. Its got a lot more ali parts and all the suspension/shocks etc are the same as the dominator, so there are a few subtle differences.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:03 AM
caseymou

Maniac Mechanic,
Post some Pics of your Ho Bao truck if you can. I would like to see the differences from the Ofna version.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:24 PM
ManicMechanic

Will do Casey, gonna be a bit busy rebuilding it first, but I do have a digital camera so as soon as I've put everything on I'll post some pics.
The Dominator wheels and tyres are on order and the rest of the stuff should have arrived today so when I get home I'll get stuck in!!