Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

My initial review of the savage 4.6 x ss kit

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

My initial review of the savage 4.6 x ss kit

Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 PM
john2364

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My initial review of the savage 4.6 x ss kit

So I got back into RC a couple of years ago. I bought a RTR nitro buggy a couple of years ago but decided that I wanted a monster truck. I decided to change because, I really just bash and run practice at tracks. I wanted something that would be durable because I was sick of replacing broken parts on the buggy. I no longer feel the need to waste all my money on pointless upgrades that will loose their luster after a few runs. I just wanted something that can take a beating, go over many terrains, and run reliably. I dont have experience with other monster trucks, so keep that in mind. I have not yet started it either. I purchased the savage, because people raved about the durability and complained about the raceability. I dont race, so this truck seemed perferct for me. I will start with the pros of the kit

1. I love the chassis design. I would scratch up my chassis on the buggy with ease, but this thing just has two verticle places. The only metal that runs horizontal (like a buggy) are covered with skid plates and thus should not get scratched. Also, because of the manner that the chassis is designed, it will be increibly hard to bend. Bottom line - this thing is clean and incredibly solid.
2. The suspension seems greatl. These shocks are hardcore. I was concerned about them being plastic however, I no longer have that concern. I can raise this thing as high as possible, drop it on my foot; it never makes contact. The shock fluid that came with it seems to fluid so I will have to change it soon.
3. The drive train is pretty intense. The dog bones are very thick, all the gears are aluminum. Everything seems to be very high quality. I love the drilled rotors, they are much thicker and larger then on my buggy. I will have to see how they perform
4. This kit went together with out any issues, however I wish that they included a few extra screws incase I did loose some.
5. The dirt bone tires seem very light with a great tread pattern
6. I love the radio box desgn. It is very solid, and very clean. Some people have complained that it is hard to access, but I do not that that it is that bad.
Overall this kit has a very solid, high quality feel to it
Cons.
1. Being that I purchased this thing for its durability, I thought that the bumper could be a bit stronger.
2. The shock towers seem to have a bit more flex then I would have expected. This may not be a problem, but I just expected something stiffer
3. For some reason, HPI loves to use philips head screws. These strip much easier then your standard allen wrench ones. I wish that they changed this aspect.
4. Would it have killed them to include some loctite in the kit? I would have happily paid a couple of dollars more to avoid the trip to the hardware store.
5. Certain parts will be hard to work on. For example, its really hard to adjust the camber w/o taking off the shocks however, it is really easy to take off the upper arms.

As of right now, I am very happy with it. I will post again after I have gotten a few runs in.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My initial review of the savage 4.6 x ss kit

so you haven't started it or run it yet, but are giving a review of this truck? That's quite strange to me. Good to know that it looks cool though. [:-]

Good luck with it. It is a great truck.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 PM
john2364

As stated in the review, it is a review of the kit. I.E quality of construction, not performance. It does not make sense to criticize something for what it is rather then how well it accomplishes its purpose. To some people this is important, expicially thoes who have never built one before.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
ThermalRD

HPI must have changed their ways. I've never built an SS kit that hasnt had a few extra screws with it. They werent in the Labeled parts bags though, they were in a seperate bag. I probably still have some of mine left from my XSS build. That soft plastic you mentioned, is there because its strong... Hard plastic only makes it more brittle. You'll find that savage is quite tough.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 PM
hajile1997

Agreed and I for one like the review...it is a different perspective than most of the performance reviews but it isnt any different from the reviews you see on RCU that break it all down......Well done.....[8D]
Old 03-13-2008, 05:46 PM
john2364

Hmmm...Maybe I just got screwed out of the extra screws in my kit
Old 03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
EG1

The shocks really are dated and will not take repeated big airs w/o the caps popping off. It was a joke hpi came out with the XL and kept those 8 cheesy shocks IMO.