Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Ofna pirate 10 Monster truck!

Old 04-26-2003, 01:37 PM
SSsonoma43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna pirate 10 Monster truck!

I bought a Pirate 10 with a Hyper .21 last year and I could never get it started and then winter came around and I decided that I would wait till this spring to break it in. Last week I got it running and broke in and then I started hitting top speed. I don't like the way the truck handles at top speed right now. The truck had been going about 40mph in my yard and I turned left and one tire got really big from it expanding from all the power and the other stayed the same size. The truck didn't turn and plowed it to the tree I was turning to avoid. I had heard there is a mod that can be done to prevent the unequal power distribution. Can anyone tell me what it is? I know it is in the center diff but thats all I know. Also if anyone has this truck can you tell me what mods you have done to it? I am looking to make this truck perform. Top speed and handling are most important to me. I ordered a rear sway bar that I am going to adapt to the front control arms. Do you think that will help any? Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:43 PM
ExtremeRC

my friend has one and it is nothing but problems. The 2 speed stripped twice and we had it done by a hobby store. Ofna says its not thier problems and that the engine has to be realligned each run. Hobby store was like to us they don't know what they are talking about. We went the first day he got his car down the road made a turn and the axle snapped not very good. I would advise u get rid of the car and get a tmaxx or soemthing
My friend got the hobby store he bought the car from to get him steel gears for free so if u have that prob i advise u call and yell at ofna as well
Old 04-26-2003, 04:20 PM
SSsonoma43

I am not going to put a two speed on. I never had luck with any two speeds that I used. The one that I used recently was a HPI RS4MT electric with a two speed, and that never worked right.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:32 AM
SSsonoma43

No one knows the mod for the center diff? I dont care about opinions of the truck, I would like some help with it. Thanks again. :disappoin
Old 04-27-2003, 05:38 AM
Rex2342

http://www.neweramodels.com/prod29.h...tjmgkcswjtcama

Here is some hop-ups for it but no center diff upgrade.Try asking CaseyDDR he just did allot of research on the Pirate10 a couple of weeks ago.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:01 PM
droopy316

i think the mod for the diff is to take one of those 3 gears inside and flip it around so it locks it, i think thats it
Old 04-27-2003, 03:54 PM
SSsonoma43

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Ducklake

droopy's right, just flip one of the gears in the center diff. It works good for locking the center diff.

I've had my P10 for about 5 months, no problems.
I still have the plastic spur gear on there also. Alot of people strip there's in no time, depends on the truck i guess.

As far as hop up's, not many are available for it. I don't have any.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:51 AM
hitler75

Hey SS, I think what you're looking for is the torsen differential. What it does is whenever a wheel lifts off the ground, the power going to it is distriubuted to the other 3 still on the ground. It costs about S$100 in Singapore. I have 1 installed in my Hyper 7 pro... works like a charm.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:00 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

if its the P10 MT ill buy it off you if your sick of all the problems
Old 04-29-2003, 10:58 AM
caseymou

CaseyDDR,
I sent you a pm.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:52 AM
mpsrawsome

Default center diff problem

I am running a MONSTER PIRATE it has a spool in it on the center diif instead of a diff. I don't know if it will fit but it puts the same power to the frt. and back. You may want to check on that and it cuts down on weight.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:03 AM
ManicMechanic

You say your tyres pinch up, do you mean like dragster tyres when they set off? If so, I had that problem with my monster pirate. Have you checked that the tyre beads are glued on right? With mine, the tyre wall broke away from the rim and under full power pinched, this meant that the wheel lost traction. I reglued the tyre and softened and lowered the suspension this seemed to work. Hope this helps.
Mat.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:47 PM
offroadnut

Default pitate 10 center diff prob

I,ve had my pirate 10 for a little over a year, and I found that if you turn 2 of the 4 gears in it it will lock it like a spool ( 1 would prob be too weak for the .21) I thought about just cleaning it out and epoxying the inside perminently locking it. I didnt but it would prob. work too. The tire swell is greatly reduced in the front but still there on all 4. So I went to 2.2 inch tires and put super hard racing foams in it. I wasnt worried about ground clearance , becouse I usually run it for speed and outrunning my buddies t-max when he gives me $$it about my Savage. It doesnt have the wheel travel for serious offroading anyway. P.S. Casey , I might sell mine to you if the price is right since my wife just bought me my 2nd Savage. The guy that was suppose to buy it backed out , he saw my Savage and wanted one of them instead( I shouldn't of let him test drive them both)