Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Which one

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 PM
speedracer101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one

Can't decide which one to get Monster GT 4.6, Losi Aftershock or Duratrax RT-X 27. Can someone tell me the good and bad about these trucks. I am just looking for a basher but want somthing that is easy to upgrade down the road. My budget is around $400, any help will be appriciated. Thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 12:44 PM
yaris

Default RE: Which one

it depend of what you want to do with(mgt=bashing, aftershock=bashind and little racing, rt-x .27=racing) and witch one your LHS stock parts for(if you dont want to wait for shipping)
Old 03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
speedracer101

Looking for a basher but with nice speed out of the box, and somthing that is reliable and easy to tune as I am new to nitro. I ran electric a long time ago. My buddy has a tmaxx he is the one that got me hooded on nitro. So I would like to get somthing that will hang with a tmaxx. Thanks for your help
Old 03-21-2008, 01:13 PM
yaris

I don't used them but from what I had see the aftershock is the fastest of these three and the mgt is easier to tune
Old 03-21-2008, 01:22 PM
speedracer101

so it's still between the mgt and the aftershock, i just threw in the rt-x 27 because it's about in my price range.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:36 PM
yaris

personally I will chosse the one my LHS stock parts for
Old 03-21-2008, 01:37 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly the best value for the money imo is the aftershock. its quick tough and reliable. over time if you want you can basicly make it a lst2 if you want. do a search for aftershock vids and you will see the abuse they can take.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:48 PM
speedracer101

my local hobby shop mostly carries savage parts, but it is slightly out of my price range.

thanks for the info on the aftershock do you know if it is easy to work on
Old 03-21-2008, 03:39 PM
R/C Lightweight

The Aftershock has a nicely laid out chassis and easy to access most components without any hassle. The same has been said about the MGT. I think the Losi LST trucks are very easy to work on and maintain. I like my Aftershock and probably wouldn't trade it for either of the others you mentioned, especially the RTX-27. The Losi trucks handle well and are relatively unflappable in the stability dept. Good luck, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the AE or the Losi.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 PM
buck in rut

really the aftershock is faster but not by much i like the tires better than on the mgt but the mgt is a very strong truck i have one i hate the stock tires and have had problems with the transmission but after a couple upgrades i got it were i love the truck but i spent another $200 on it in repairs and upgrades and i have tuned both engines mgt 4.6 and the .26 for the aftershock there not bad to tune the pull start the one on the losi is cheaply made the mgt has a nice pull start and drill start shaft i like the losi engine better good idle runs strong i think the4.6 has a little more torque for bashing get mgt parts are pretty cheap on ebay for more general running lite bashing you'll like the aftershock i hope this helps
Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 PM
oneslowz28

Check out my thread about the same subject and budget. There are some good and helpful replies about the MGT. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7236826/tm.htm

The reason I chose the MGT was the following:

Easy cleanup (4 screws remove the electronics and they are all in one tray)
The price (sub $400.00)
The after market support
Most LHS carry replacement parts
AE customer service is second to none
The power per dollar ratio
The steel geared tranny.
The radio it comes with.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Deftones123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get an aftershock, was amazed as how nice they are, and how they perform
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 PM
R/C Lightweight

ORIGINAL: oneslowz28

Check out my thread about the same subject and budget. There are some good and helpful replies about the MGT. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7236826/tm.htm

The reason I chose the MGT was the following:

The price (sub $400.00)
The after market support
Most LHS carry replacement parts
AE customer service is second to none
The power per dollar ratio
The steel geared tranny.
The radio it comes with.
I hope you mean the MGT 8.0 radio, not the 4.6 radio. The XP3 that comes with the MGT 4.6 is no match for the XR2i computer radio that comes stock with the Aftershock. They have also upgraded the pull start on the AFT to a pull start/spin start combo that can be used with a drill (much like the MGT 4.6). Don't get me wrong here, just because I own an Aftershock doesn't mean I think it's better. I almost bought the MGT 4.6 instead. It was a close call, but l really like the Losi's design, chassis, and suspension over the MGT's. I suppose it's just a preference for me. Who knows, maybe I'll get a MGT myself someday. I'm really dig the MGT 3.0. Looks sweet.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:34 PM
speedracer101

Thanks for everyones help I think I will go with the aftershock it sounds like a better deal straight out of the box which is what i am looking for as it will be a while before i will be able to buy hop up parts. hopefully i will be able to get it within in a few weeks

does anyone know where i can order it for less than the $370 i have seen it for