Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

New guy to nitro trucks in need of some help.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

New guy to nitro trucks in need of some help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
F-22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy to nitro trucks in need of some help.

Ok. So, I'm mostly into R/C planes but you guys and your youtube videos have thoroughly convinced me, I'm going to get a truck. I'm almost positive of the GST 7.7 because, to my knowledge, it's very fast on straight runs and is a super basher. Very rugged and powerful, from what I see. Just what I need.

So, I need some (lots) of help with it and what to get and I figured you guys know. Ok. First. What fuel do you think I should get? Money's not important, I just wanna know what's the best quality.
Second, what does the CEN site mean by differential silicone oil? It says: The GST 7.7 features three fully sealed differentials that can be filled with silicone oil. To bash in rugged terrain, do I need to fill them? With what? Where can I get it? (Links appreciated.)
Then, is there anything besides silicone oil, fuel, and batteries I need to buy to run the GST 7.7? Anything at all?

All help greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post a video or at the very least some captures of it when I get one.

EDIT: Darn, appers I'm outdated. The Team Associate Mountain GT 8.0 appears larger, hardier, and more powerful than the GST. Any confirmations? Comparisons?
EDIT: Or is it? I don't think the Mountain GT pulls 5 HP. o.o
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Elite_Tux487

Default RE: New guy to nitro trucks in need of some help.

Its Monster Gt. And neither of them pull 5hp. Its pretty much just a numbers gimmick to get you to buy their product.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
F-22

But.. What about the other questions?
Anyhow, I'mma go with the GST.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "Bigger is Better" approach is not always the best approach, but most of the name brand trucks are good trucks. For fuel, 90% here will recommend Byron's Gen2 fuel or O'Donnell's RACE fuel. Those are the two best and most popular fuels used today. Another great fuel is Morgan's Sidewinder. The quote about the differentials means that you can use different weight sillicone oil to tune your diffs. (The heavier the oil, the less diff action you have)
Heres a link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFTX7&P=7

The diffs most likely come stock filled with grease, which is ok for bashing so you dont need to worry about that unless you dont like the way your diffs are performing. To run the GST, you will need: Batts, fuel, a glow ignitor, extra glow plugs, and if you want; a temperature guage. The guage isnt necessary but some people use it as a tuning tool. I've been doing this for over 4 years and I dont have one, and I have never blown up or wrecked an engine... Other than that, I think thats it.

BTW off topic: F-18 E/F Super Hornet rules the sky Favorite jet is the old Tomcat, but its retired now so RIP.. I'm a hopeful F-18 pilot if I can get through with ROTC in college
Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 PM
F-22

So, how do you guage the tempurature? o.o.

And, would you link me to/recommend a glow igniter/glow plugs for the GST? (If it matters, I'll use Odonnels fuel.)

Oh, and what tires recommended for sand, grass, and soil?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well a lot of people including me use this ignitor: http://www.rcplanet.com/Glow_Ignitors_s/924.htm I'm sure there is a cheaper price somewhere, but its a good ignitor. Plugs really dont matter that much, but McCoy plugs are really good in my experience. O.S. also makes decent plugs but people say they are a bit shorter than regular plugs which mess with the compression. As for tires, I really dont know sorry[]
Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM
jay863fl

For tires I would just use the stockers that come with it for now. I may have missed it but youll want to pick up a fuel bottle [link]http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_23_56[/link] Other than that you should be set.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM
F-22

As for the plug, can you link me to one that would work with the GST on Amainhobbies.com?? I know butt-nothing when it comes to the such of engine size and cubics and plug tempurature..
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Nick2618

I am pretty sure the GST comes with a fuel bottle, glow igniator, glowplug wrench, and 23mm hex wrench for the tires...

Maybe pop over to the cen forum and ask them for sure. You just need a size C battery for igniator.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 PM
F-22

Thanks, Nick. I read that too, but it doesn't sya it on some sites. I'll check for sure.

Could you guys recommend a glow plug type, though? I mean specific, I know NOTHING about plugs.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 PM
buck in rut

if your serious about getting a really good truck avoid the gimmicks of the engine war. i have the mgt 8.0 its a good truck it sure sucks the fuel, i also have the mgt 4.6 upgraded a little and like it better. if you want to buy a good truck the best truck all around is the losi lst2 at least in my opinion. id take it over any other there is a price difference but it will run with any truck out there and past most. sorry i don't have any links I'm sure many others here will back me up
Old 03-27-2008, 02:15 PM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

It should come with a glow plug. I wouldn't second guess the manufacturer as far as that goes. Only thing I would suggest is when it get cold out switch to a hotter plug, and when its hot out, switch to a colder plug. And don't leave the igniter in the engine too long aftter it is started, otherwise, you'll end up going through plugs pretty quick.