Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

TA Monster GT 4.60 or HPI Savage X 4.6

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

TA Monster GT 4.60 or HPI Savage X 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:00 PM
camuflaje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA Monster GT 4.60 or HPI Savage X 4.6

Hello guys... Im looking to get a new monster truck and so far I have narrowed my options to the monster gt and the savage. Now, Im new to the whole monster truck thing but I have been racing electric touring cars for years. Just wanted to know your opinions about these two...
Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Snaut Rocket

Default RE: TA Monster GT 4.60 or HPI Savage X 4.6

you will be happy with either one.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:05 PM
camuflaje

After looking around im kinda leaning towards the mgt... seems like a more durable truck in the long run. plus it's a bit cheaper
Old 04-19-2008, 05:10 PM
twomanytoys

Its not a more durable truck. You have to do some upgrades to get it up to Savage status. I have both adn both are great. The MGT is HEAVYYYY though. Mine with roll cage weighs almost 18lbs. My Savage is 12.5. Mgt A arms are very weak and the rear toe links are also weak. The stock engine is ok but really needs a bigger engine. I have upgraded the engine but it still wont keep up with my savage. Both are about the same price. A savage x and MGt are both about 400.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:17 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no MT tougher than a Savage stock for stock... Its a known truth[8D]
Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Its not a more durable truck. You have to do some upgrades to get it up to Savage status. I have both adn both are great. The MGT is HEAVYYYY though. Mine with roll cage weighs almost 18lbs. My Savage is 12.5. Mgt A arms are very weak and the rear toe links are also weak. The stock engine is ok but really needs a bigger engine. I have upgraded the engine but it still wont keep up with my savage. Both are about the same price. A savage x and MGt are both about 400.
I dont know about the arms being very weak.
After a year of running i finally broke one arm. And i didnt know it was even broken.

Yes the mgt does need a few upgrdades, like foc and and ft caps.
But if you like space and easy to control rather go with the mgt.
The truck has a lot of space on it.
Can you say dual tanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 PM
scottywilkes

MGT is a great basher, just search for highlifeMTs vids on youtube, that thing gets totally beaten to hell. I dont know about u saying the motor is weak, mine pulled wheelies all day long up until i screwed a bearing at 15 gallons lol. Best motor ive ever owned, reliable as all hell, would start first pull everytime, idled like a dream, and ran great.

There are a few mods u will need to make, the reverse mechanism in the transmission is quite sloppy, and that takes an impact on other parts like 2 speed gears, shaft pins, the one way hub etc. Once u get rid of the reverse mechanism its a day and night difference, u can basically forget about the trans. Get some shims and shim the diffs, they will last nearly forever, i got 16 gallons out of my stock diffs, until a side bearing let go in 1 which munched the ring gear, and the other chipped teeth.

Stock arms are fine if you are a decent driver, if u land on 1 wheel naturally its gonna break, i install RPMs for racing and run stockers for bashing, as the stockers give u a higher stance and are more plush, they take the large jumps better, ive only broken them when running into things, first time was a gutter, then a steel pole, then a tree stump lol, all at top speed.

Either way there both great trucks, i havnt owned a savage, but i have bashed with plenty of them, ive never been a big fan of them, my MGT manages to outhandle, outspeed, and most of the time outbash them, problably mainly because i can actually drive lol. But yeah, if u choose either u will be happy with both.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:35 PM
[email protected]

I have both but the savage X not the new 4.6 one. I will just say the mgt is a lot better at handling and over all control then the savage. The savage is a stronger truck stock but not by a lot like some will make you think. The mgt is very easy to work on and upgrade. I did the 3spd on the savage and it is very cool but the savage is a very poor performer in my opion ( not trying to start a war). I have done a lot of upgrades to the mgt and it runs with the best of them. I have the LRP spec 3 and it keeps up with my LST2 and a buds revo 3.3 with no problem. I sunk about $400 into it and it is very strong and runs great. To get a savage to do what the mgt can you would need to pump a lot more into it. If you are just going to bash and thats it savage is best but if you are going to race a friend get into some open feilds and some lite track stuff MGT. Both radio's suck just some FYI.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:34 PM
camuflaje

I spoke with the guy at my LHS and he said I was better off with the savage than with the mgt. He said something about the mgt's engine being hard to tune correctly and that the savage seems to be stronger... now im back at square one[&:] The savage seems to be the best selling truck around here wit the best customer satisfaction.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Wow, well he has no idea what he's talking about. The MGT's engine is know to be one of the most forgiving engines out there. Look at High Life MT, he has like 14 gallons or something through his, and it's still killer!

I know us MGT owners sound EXTREMELY biased, but what that LHS guy said about the "gmt" (lol) is completely wrong.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:43 PM
ericem

Today I let my neighbour drive my truck. He is crazy I am talking to some girls then I see his at the fence tryin the lift it I saw WTH happened!! I drove full speed one wheel was stuck under teh fence. It took two of us to lift the fence to get the wheel out, didn't break a a-arm. Then he does the same thing with the other wheel on the other fence. I can not believe nothing broke. I haven't seen anything as bad as this except when my friend went full tilt into a car at one wheel with his ST-1.

Overall I like my MGT i have not fixed it in such a long time.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:47 AM
camuflaje

Which one is faster right out of the box? What I want is a truck that can handle a few jumps on a construction site and random off road **** and also some on-road action with the proper tires. I won't be jumping it off 20ft jumps. Just a monster truck to have fun off-roading with and I will be upgrading parts along the way [)]
Old 04-20-2008, 08:23 AM
twomanytoys

The Savage is without a doubt faster out of the box than the MGt but the MDt is still fast for its size adn for your hobby shop guy saying the engine is hard to tune he is soooo wrong. Like MGT Evader said its got to be the most reliable, easy to tune long lasting engine you can get in any Mt. Teh Savage engines are a pain to tune but once tuned they run like a raped ape. The MGT is very easy to work on because of the pan chassis. Either truck would be fine for a basher. The only thing I dont like about the MGT is the HEAVVVYYYYY tires. Get some lighter tires and that thing will rock.

As for the savage not handling as well and taking alot more money to make it handle as well is not right. I have a set of offset wheels on my savage which made it wider. It handles just as good if not better. You can put offset wheels and some wider hexes and it will outhandle the mgt no problem. I actually have better luck with my Savage on the track then my MGt because the mGt is not nimble at all with the stock wheels and tires. Changing the wheels and tires will make it a different story though.

Just pick one and you will be happy. The MGT is more user friendly but can bash with the rest. The savage just looks bad ***** and can take a beating for sure. If you can get a deal on a MGT then go for it.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Spudnik

no engine will ast 15 gallons, ever.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 AM
twomanytoys

Yes they can. Im not there yet but I have a OS 12 CZ with almost 13 gallons and still running strong. The Thunder tiger pro .28 engines in the MGt is the longest lasting engine you can get. They are known for their reliability and longevity.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Im 98% sure High Life MT has 14gal through his stock TTR.28[)]
Old 04-21-2008, 04:16 AM
scottywilkes

he HAD 14 gallons through it, till he replaced it with another Pro 28. I have 15 in my Thunder tiger pro 28, in its life it has gone through 2 rear bearings, it will still go if i replace the rear bearing, but i have 5 other big block motors now, so i havnt really bothered lol.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 AM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: Spudnik

no engine will ast 15 gallons, ever.
Sounds like someone needs to do some better maintenance![X(]