50.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Savage XL vs LST2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:01 PM
retardedpenguin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL vs LST2?

I am getting to the point where I am ready to buy an RC MT. So which is better for bashing, and racing every now and then? I have heard the LST2 is pretty much the best, but I am curious about the XL? How do the 2 compare when it comes to bashing and stuff? I haven't seen any reviews for the XL yet, so I don't know much about it.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:59 PM
IloveMYxt2

Default RE: Savage XL vs LST2?

Im going with the Savage XL. Both are excellent bashers. I would say the LST2 has better control though.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Muggy250r

savage all that way!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM
phast46

well lst2 for the racing part and so the only competition would be in bashing...which i would still recomend the lst2 its a very high quality basher...and theres lots and lots of help with them here in the forums...also che your lhs and see the parts availibility....I'd go with the lst2 but its up to you yo make the choice
Old 06-24-2008, 05:30 PM
drivefastgto

Out of the box, the LST2 is probably the best all-around truck if you want to do some racing and bashing. On the other hand, the XL is the ultimate basher out of the box.

That said, either one can suit anyone' needs just fine with a little extra $$$$.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM
JB COMP

Personally I don't like savage's because they sit up way to high and flip easy, but then again that could have been the way the guy had it set up. I would go with the LST2 because the Mach 427 is a sweet engine, and fairly cheap too. The HPI engine's are $$$ and some of the HPI engines are just renamed Force engines and I hate Force engines (mine was nothing but a pain)
Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went and got offset wheels for my X SS to compensate for the infamous Savage proclivity for flipping over...., and I've had nothing but problems - partially as a result of that I think, but mostly due to c.rap plastic quality.. The plastic quality on my X SS sucks - the upper arms break WAY too easily, the plastic on the turnbuckle eyelets (and shocks I recently saw..)rounds out within a gallon, I've broken C-hubs landing wheelies, broken two bumpers carrying the truck, etc etc etc... I literally sigh with relief now if I take the Savage out for a few tanks of just messing around - not talking hard bashing here - and nothing breaks... I still have my 25 laying in parts(luckily, as a part-spender..), and the difference in plastic quality is noticeable.. HPI knows where the money comes from - parts..

They just got some more from me cuz I ordered a set of Dirt Bonz and stock rims to go back to stock layout and hopefully stop breaking stuff cuz of offset wheels.. But even then, having stuff break carrying the truck has nothing to do with the wheels - neither should landing a wheelie, or a 3 foot jump when my upper arm broke...

Anyway, take this big ole' heavy XL, and I would guess it'd all be that much worse.. Maybe not, but I personally wouldn't get a Savage again.. But from what I've seen, the plastic can't stand up to the standard size and weight - what's gonna happen when it's bigger and heavier?

The LST2 on the other hand does everything well, and has great quality.. I don't mean it to sound like trash-talking, but I'm fully confident a stock LST2 can do whatever %80 of all Savages can, mod what you will..,and not only that, but better.. It's at least as tough as a Savage(in my experience tougher..), drives 100x better(I still like driving Savages though - requires concentration... :-) ), is faster, comes with a better radio, and is all around better quality..

That's just all my opinion based off my Savage 25RTR, XSS, and LST2..
Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Mr Terminator

LST2 all the way for me,the Savages are good but the LST2 is just a nicer and more acomplished model in my opinion...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:50 AM
KRO

I went and got offset wheels for my X SS to compensate for the infamous Savage proclivity for flipping over...., and I've had nothing but problems - partially as a result of that I think, but mostly due to c.rap plastic quality.. The plastic quality on my X SS sucks - the upper arms break WAY too easily, the plastic on the turnbuckle eyelets (and shocks I recently saw..)rounds out within a gallon, I've broken C-hubs landing wheelies, broken two bumpers carrying the truck, etc etc etc... I literally sigh with relief now if I take the Savage out for a few tanks of just messing around - not talking hard bashing here - and nothing breaks... I still have my 25 laying in parts(luckily, as a part-spender..), and the difference in plastic quality is noticeable.. HPI knows where the money comes from - parts..

They just got some more from me cuz I ordered a set of Dirt Bonz and stock rims to go back to stock layout and hopefully stop breaking stuff cuz of offset wheels.. But even then, having stuff break carrying the truck has nothing to do with the wheels - neither should landing a wheelie, or a 3 foot jump when my upper arm broke...

Anyway, take this big ole' heavy XL, and I would guess it'd all be that much worse.. Maybe not, but I personally wouldn't get a Savage again.. But from what I've seen, the plastic can't stand up to the standard size and weight - what's gonna happen when it's bigger and heavier?

The LST2 on the other hand does everything well, and has great quality.. I don't mean it to sound like trash-talking, but I'm fully confident a stock LST2 can do whatever %80 of all Savages can, mod what you will..,and not only that, but better.. It's at least as tough as a Savage(in my experience tougher..), drives 100x better(I still like driving Savages though - requires concentration... :-) ), is faster, comes with a better radio, and is all around better quality..

WOW , PatrickBW .... For you too say these things is shocking [X(] as I know you were a big supporter of the Savage before .

I havent had any Savages because the TVP chassis never appealed too me and I read all the post on how hard they were to work on so I wont comment on them .

I do own an LST2 and I can say its become my favorite out of my collection and the one I run the most , and with 2 or 3 hop ups is a VERY tough truck . Deffinately the best outta the box truck you can buy IMO .

The Mach 427 is a real screamer too and runs like a champ . I run with a bunch of guys with REVO's that are all raced out on a backyard track that we built and they are all slowly going too the LST2 because of seeing mine run . They REVO can out corner it but the LST2 will out jump it and is better in the rough sections of the track .
Old 06-25-2008, 10:19 AM
drivefastgto

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Nothing personal Patrick, but I have seen you claim this a few times, and I gotta call BS here...Breaking C-hubs landing wheelies and bumpers from carrying it? Busted arms from 3-foot jumps? Sorry, but no way am I buying that...I'm not saying they didn't break on you, but something had to have damaged those parts beforehand. Bad landings and cartwheels put many, many times more force on the hubs than landing a wheelie, and even then they rarely break...I can say this from experience with mine, and I have offset wheels too. I also cannot see an A-arm on one breaking without actually running into something first.

Why doesn't this stuff happen to everyone else with a Savage X? And no, this isn't the only forum I go to, so if that was an actual issue, you could bet a lot more folks would be talking about the same thing.

I'm not trying to play fanboy, I DO like the Losis...I just feel your experience with your Savage is contrary to everyone else's and thus rather mis-representative of them.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM
IloveMYxt2

I dunno about the Savage claims either.

My friend has a Savage 4.6 and he beats it up pretty good (10 foot jumps landing on one tire, etc) and the only things hes broken are:

engine mount snapped in half

stripped spur gear

the plate that holds the engine moved a bit (needs to tighten bolts)

brakes got destroyed (probably cause they hit something, they are exposed)

Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well it's been about a half dozen times now when I've had my Savage out, and suddenly something totally stupid and unexpected breaks, and I'm left there with my jaw dropped like "you MUST be kidding me.." The upper (adjustable) front arm broke the very first time I jumped it - when it was spanking new - and I was building up the air with baby steps.. - so it really was 3-feet, if that.. Couldn't believe it.. And it's not like I put it together wrong.. The C-hubs, one from landing a wheely, really did happen.. I had to get the Integy tierod eliminators cuz the rear tierods developed such ridiculous slop - and that was way back well within the first gallon.. And the thing about busting the bumper-post carrying it - that happened last week.. I normally take two trucks out, one in each hand, and well, it broke.. This time it was the front - the back broke from wheelying.. OK, extensive wheelying..., but still...(that's all I really consider my Savage good for at the moment, to be really honest..)

So I don't know, maybe I just got a lemmon.

I was thinking about it though, and something occurred to me. People always say that model plastic breaks more in winter, cuz it gets brittle. Well, I seem to have had EXACTLY the opposite experience with my X SS. The only times it's really held up were on cold-ish days in the winter.. Heh?? No idea...

For ex, here:

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...teparkBash.flv

Another cold day - its first real test-bash...:

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...yXSSGoseck.flv

So anyway, if you really think the new Savages are as tough as the old ones, OK I'll take your word for it.. I have an X SS and LST2 sitting in my room though, and can only tell you what I've seen. And it's not like I made anything up...

All that said though, I still like Savages.. There's something about them - they're burly and impractical, but I think driving them is fun.. It's more of a challenge to keep it upright.. It IS kind of fun too sometimes to wheely 50 meters back and forth... With my X SS anyway though, I do miss that Savage attitude of feeling like it'll take a huge "beating and keep coming back for more", that it's "tough as nails", and all that stuff everybody has always said about Savages.... Also, cuz a Savage was my first truck(RIP 25 RTR - you were a champ...), I actually like working on mine more than any of my others.. I know it better, and I just feel better when I have to wrench on it.. I just wish it weren't so much... []

But whatever the case - I'm not saying all Savages are junk. My first one hooked me on RC(big-time..) I'm just saying I've had bad luck with my X SS*, that logically the XL could be prone to problems cuz it's even bigger and heavier.., and that yeah, my LST2 has been simply excellent...

* Now that I think about it, ALL my problems have been with plastic...(not including a blown diff bearing, but the Mulchers did that.. )
Old 06-25-2008, 12:41 PM
fm2h3

i would prefer the 8.0 over both in all but out of those 2 the LST2
Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM
NitroWrath

The 8.0 MGT is pretty tough...
I have proof!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHh6yYjtqo8

See the 1:18 mark...

Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 PM
mojavemonster

If somethin doesn't brake then you weren't playing hard enuf. Personally I loved thrashing my Savage. Every time somethin broke it gave me an excuse to buy upgrades.

I went and got offset wheels for my X SS to compensate for the infamous Savage proclivity for flipping over...., and I've had nothing but problems - partially as a result of that I think, but mostly due to c.rap plastic quality.. The plastic quality on my X SS sucks - the upper arms break WAY too easily, the plastic on the turnbuckle eyelets (and shocks I recently saw..)rounds out within a gallon, I've broken C-hubs landing wheelies
Offsets are going to put stress on your c-hubs and threw to your upper arm. Think about it. With stock set up the inpact transters straight up from the ground to the suspention. But with offsets it acts as a lever multiplying the force and that force aint moving staight up, its at an angle....making your C-cups take force from an angle its not completely designed for. This puts more force on that upper too. Instead of just moving up and down now its getting compressed. You don't realize but this warms the plastics and fatigues it. Bend a coat hanger back and forth.....it'll warm up and get weaker until it breaks. Same thing. I've broke alot of stuff cuz I play with mine like I stole it but have never broke an upper on front or rear.

For stubility just lower it a little. No akward forces there.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 PM
fm2h3

mgts are Wup*** all over other rcs XDXDXD
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Dirtysavage/st-1 guy
My Feedback: (2)

savage all the way
Old 06-26-2008, 07:17 AM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: retardedpenguin

I am getting to the point where I am ready to buy an RC MT. So which is better for bashing, and racing every now and then? I have heard the LST2 is pretty much the best, but I am curious about the XL? How do the 2 compare when it comes to bashing and stuff? I haven't seen any reviews for the XL yet, so I don't know much about it.
Seems like a nobrainer here,seems that the SAVAGE is a little on the wimpy side[X(]Never owned an XL,but did have a SAVAGE X and LST2 and the LOSI was a much more quality truck in every way.The SAVAGE can be a beast with a million dollars worth of upgrades,but as far as out of the box performance,a blind man can see that the LST2 is the way to go.The only reason to get the SAVAGE over the LST2 is if your pockets arent deep enough for the LST2,but by the time you upgrade your SAVAGE enough to be worthy of running with an LST2,you have spent enough money to buy an LST2.A little common sense goes a long way[:'(]
Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 AM
drivefastgto

ORIGINAL: derrick05

ORIGINAL: retardedpenguin

Seems like a nobrainer here,seems that the SAVAGE is a little on the wimpy side[X(]Never owned an XL,but did have a SAVAGE X and LST2 and the LOSI was a much more quality truck in every way.The SAVAGE can be a beast with a million dollars worth of upgrades,but as far as out of the box performance,a blind man can see that the LST2 is the way to go.The only reason to get the SAVAGE over the LST2 is if your pockets arent deep enough for the LST2,but by the time you upgrade your SAVAGE enough to be worthy of running with an LST2,you have spent enough money to buy an LST2.A little common sense goes a long way[:'(]
Ummm.....LOL.

Your post is pretty strong on words, but short of anything to back them up. Instead of implying all Savage owners are blind, poor and lacking common sense, how about, oh, I dont know, giving one shred of specific information?

Tell you what...Here's HPI's video of how "wimpy" a bone-stock Savage is....why dont you show us a comparable video of how a stock LST2 is better in every way.
http://www.hpiracing.com/videoplayer/38/
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM
2DMaxLST!!

That's a excellent marketing piece, do you have any video of yourself racing and bashing the Savage XL??
Old 06-26-2008, 11:46 AM
drivefastgto

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

That's a excellent marketing piece, do you have any video of yourself racing and bashing the Savage XL??
Sure dont, do you have any video of a stock LST2 doing something like that, especially taking the landings they show at the end of HPI's video? No offense meant at all, I'm being totally serious...I'd love to see it.

And ya, you can't deny that video is a GREAT marketing tool. [8D]

EDIT: Notice that once again, I haven't said anything bad about Losi's MTs at all, just responding to the (silly) "wimpy" comment...I know LST2s are great trucks, and so are Savages...If you think Savages are wimpy like Derrick05 does, go ahead and say it!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 AM
ThermalRD

Wow, alot of opinions here. I own both, and i like em both alot. First thing. The savage owners should not be commenting on the savage XL, unless they've got experience with the XL. The XL is much longer, and wider, and more powerful. It handles ALOT different than a standard savage. Either of those trucks will take a little money, to get ready for the track. Primarily a set of wheels and tires. How often do you plan on hitting the track? That i think would be a deciding factor here. As both trucks are real nice. But i'd have to give the edge to the LST2, if you plan on hitting the track often. But even that is an unfair opinion, since i've never set my XL on a track yet. Good luck with whatever you decide on!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:43 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: drivefastgto

Sure dont, do you have any video of a stock LST2 doing something like that, especially taking the landings they show at the end of HPI's video? No offense meant at all, I'm being totally serious...I'd love to see it.

And ya, you can't deny that video is a GREAT marketing tool. [8D]

EDIT: Notice that once again, I haven't said anything bad about Losi's MTs at all, just responding to the (silly) "wimpy" comment...I know LST2s are great trucks, and so are Savages...If you think Savages are wimpy like Derrick05 does, go ahead and say it!
Looks stock to me, HPI clearly used plastic a-arms and not some futuristic plastic. That and the driver was very skilled and his landings made all the difference in the world, if you land the wrong way then try working on your driving skills. Don't blame the truck, LOL.[sm=lol.gif] I don't have an opinion on either truck, I bash my SuperMaxx quite a bit without any problem, the ball bearings are replaced every two years.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I never own anything stock, ever, so all my videos are highly modded.

I replace my bearings about 10 times a year, on everything I actually drive.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:52 AM
systemlord

I never own anything stock, ever, so all my videos are highly modded.

I replace my bearings about 10 times a year, on everything I actually drive.
VXB makes some sick ball bearings selling them at whole sale for $2 dollars a bearing for a ten pack ($19.95) of teflon sealed rated for 80,000 rpms, there as smooth as my Acer Racing ceramic nitride bearings ($8 per bearing) and cost $6 dollars cheaper per bearing. I bought some bearings for my steering system that are 8mm x 5mm x 2.5mm, tiny little suckers. I'm going to buy some 16mm x 8mm x 5mm teflon sealed bearing for my axles on July first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.