Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

More OWB Slippage with HPI Rotostart than with Losi Spinstart??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

More OWB Slippage with HPI Rotostart than with Losi Spinstart??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default More OWB Slippage with HPI Rotostart than with Losi Spinstart??

So far I've run the HPI rotostart on an HPI NS25, Axial 28, and now LRP Spec 3, and they all develop pretty bad OWB slippage.

I've never had this problem though with my LST2, and I've been running it for about 18 months and probably 5 gallons. It works flawlessly, and so powerfully that if I'm not careful it'll wrench my wrist..

Now I have the LRP in my Muggy, and even after cleaning it all up, it's slipping worse than ever. So now I'm wondering, should I switch the LRP to the Losi Spinstart?? I have a brand new never used Mach Spinstart backplate from the Mach I converted to bumpstart..

I would just put the pullstart back on the LRP(also never used), but who in the hail can get that thing back together??.. Not I....

Anyway, it does seem to me that you hear much more about slipping OWB's among Savage drivers than Losi drivers... Is that right??...
Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 AM
twomanytoys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More OWB Slippage with HPI Rotostart than with Losi Spinstart??

I have also used the losi spinstart and notices its much more reliable than the rotostart.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:21 PM
SAVAGEBANE

man i just ****un got my savage back together. from some havin that thing in 150 pieces. get it all back together and the owb slipps so bad that i dont know what to do. is there another backplate i can use or anything i can do. so frustrated with it. i dont know why it slipps
Old 07-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Clymer122693

What fuel are you using? If the oil content in it is high (such as traxxas fuel) it's very rough on OWB's.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 PM
HerrSavage

I'm using Sidewinder %25, which IS high in oil..

But I'm also using it in my LST2..

That's my point.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 AM
MadManAndrew

Mine has never slipped and Iv put abut 6 gallons through mine.Rotostart works just as well as the first time I spun it. actually better,with an engine that has 6 gals through it,it turns it rite over. never any trouble starting here . .It's a whole nother story with the E-Z start on my dads revo though.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:53 AM
HerrSavage

Hmm... Six gallons - not bad.. The question though is if that's the rule, or the exception.. - compared to the Losi Spin-start.. And if you spend enough time in Savage and Losi forums, well, defo more HPI peeps have OWB probs than Losi peeps... That prob has to do with newbs running too rich too.. But still....

I ran my LRP yesterday BTW, after taking the OWB out an spraying it with WD40. This was the first time I'd done this. I had been spraying the OWB just with brake-cleaner...

And yesterday there was no more slippage - i.e. WD40 does seem to be the fix...
Old 07-27-2008, 12:49 PM
MadManAndrew

I was reading up in another thread and like 12 people said that when the run the traxxas fuel in thier trucks they have owb problems but when they run other fuels they don't...It's suppose to have something with the oil they use in it...Andjust so ya'll know:my ad has a revo and he runs traxxas fuel and keeps havin to replace his owb, i'm runnin sidewinder and havn't had to replace it for 6 gallons...
Old 07-27-2008, 06:15 PM
rclynx

All I have to say guys is you have to pinch the fuel line at shut off.......end of story........Losi is a direct drive and it can give you wrist problems if you don't hang on tight. The rest are reduction drives and actually are more powerful than the losi direct drive. Losi for one of the only good things that they have done has contained the fuel from reaching the OWB pretty darn good but that doesn't meen that the rest of you hobbiests can't learn a proper way to shut off your nitro RC
Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rclynx

All I have to say guys is you have to pinch the fuel line at shut off.......end of story........Losi is a direct drive and it can give you wrist problems if you don't hang on tight. The rest are reduction drives and actually are more powerful than the losi direct drive. Losi for one of the only good things that they have done has contained the fuel from reaching the OWB pretty darn good but that doesn't meen that the rest of you hobbiests can't learn a proper way to shut off your nitro RC

:P It's easier to just run the damn thing dry, rofl.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 PM
SAVAGEBANE

ok, i must have missed it but how does pinching the fuel line to shut off the truck save the OWB, as opposed to pinching the stinger?
also, i didnt know that fuel was reaching the OWB at all. i was cleaning it with brake cleaner, but didnt realize why it was getting dirty.....its an internal part. when i pull the backplate cover off to get to the OWB i will spray WD-40 and se how that works.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 PM

Ahh, don't. Keep that shaft as dry as you can. WD40 is just worsening the slipping.

Fuel reaches it through the bushing that shaft rides in, most of the time that thing leaks like a sieve on RTR engines after about a gallon or so. High-quality RTR engines and seperate engines don't have the problem nearly as bad as they're made to higher standards. OS engines won't do it for a long time, yet the engine my monster shipped with was doing it at a gallon and a half.

Pinching the fuel line starves the engine of fuel. Best way to shut one off if you need to kill it before the tank's empty. If you are nearly done with your running, go ahead and run the entire tank dry, same effect. Plugging the exhaust actually floods the engine, causing all kinds of rust and gumming problems should that engine sit for longer than a week or so. I usually run my tanks empty, personal preferance.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
SAVAGEBANE

oh ok then. i must have misunderstood someone. i wont use wd40. it is really annoying though....does everyone have that problem with stock engnes or what .is there no permanent fix to it
Old 07-31-2008, 06:20 PM
rclynx

LOL 378
OK you win

290cc tanks will make you pinch them off every now and then [:-]
Old 07-31-2008, 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: rclynx

LOL 378
OK you win

290cc tanks will make you pinch them off every now and then [:-]

I have 75CC and .18. :P Only time I pinch is when I break something, rofl.