Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

ever driven a two wheel drive savage?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

ever driven a two wheel drive savage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 03:46 AM
new72Savage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ever driven a two wheel drive savage?

well this was an exciting turn of event. WAs burning up the parking lot with the savage tonight and clipped the corner of the building. Everything seemed fine, but then the savage didnt seem to turn right. turned left fine but unde throttle turning right just ran straight. Thats when i heard the clink-clang of metal as the savage made another pass.

hmmmm... what was that? A spit out dog bone...sh*t!! Oh well good thing grabbed those HD dog bone off ebay last week for $11. conveiniently they arrived today...luck have it.

My svage was now runnging on only rear wheel drive, as teh other front dog bone had bent and pulled from the slot, but remained nested in the lower a arm.

Anyhow, made would that thing sh*T and Get with all power to the rear wheels. couldnt keep traction. Was sliding around like it was on ice skates. And man talk about smoking doughnut. literally burning the rubber off the tires....kicked *****.

Anyhow, wanna have some fun, pull the front end off and yank out the two front dog bones and go @ wheeling. Definitely worth the engergy to remove and reinstall. I dont know if i did any damage to the differentials. I disassembled it tonight to install the new dogbones and everything looked fine. Except i think i spun a bunch of the gear lube off the differential, so i gonna grab some at the LHS tomorrow and repack it.

anyone have any recomendations on front differential lube?
Old 05-18-2003, 05:14 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Or you can do like I did and lose the little screw that holds the brake hub on (and that NONE of my freaking LHS's carry). Now I not only have a 2 wheel drive savage, but it's a front wheel drive one at that. :boxing:
Old 05-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

my hpi rs4 is awesome fwd. I now leave it that way on purpose. It handles better than 4wd, and though it doesnt take off as fast because it has little traction, but it is twice as fun to drive. My monster pirate was fwd for a while when the rear dogbone fell out, and it just did an endless burnout to top speed down the street. but I blew the diff on the mp.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:22 PM
bueno_z

Yes I am running my Savage right now on rear wheels waiting for new titaniums to come in. You are right it is a lot of fun. Hard to track straight on full throttle because of so much power going to the rear wheels.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:47 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Not power. SPEED!

IF your gonna route the power to one side, you have to jam one side of the diff. I dont know how your doing this.

But in the long run I dont think its a good idea. You'll definitely have less controll over the car.

BUT. Technically, you can DOUBLE the top speed of the car if you jam the front side of the diff!

Someone give that a shot!l

ram
Old 05-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Default How do you "Jam" the diff??

???
Old 05-19-2003, 09:17 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

No idea.

What I mean by "jam" is stop one side from spinning.
IF you lost a dogbone.. in an open diff setup, the loose side (with the lost dogbone) will start spinning and your vehicle will NOT MOVE!

So getting a vehicle to run on 2 wheels is not a matter of just removing one of the dogbones.

ram
Old 05-19-2003, 09:50 PM
bueno_z

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
No idea.

What I mean by "jam" is stop one side from spinning.
IF you lost a dogbone.. in an open diff setup, the loose side (with the lost dogbone) will start spinning and your vehicle will NOT MOVE!

So getting a vehicle to run on 2 wheels is not a matter of just removing one of the dogbones.

ram
Yeah, it is just a matter of removing the front differential dog bone on the SAVAGE. All the power then transfers to the rear. Even with one dogbone busted on the front the truck still moved.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:11 AM
new72Savage

I wonder what a tmaxx running on only rear would clock at. I know my savage probly picked up 5-7 mph... i wouldnt stretch it to 10 but maybe. Traction was definately and issue.

Hear we go.... Rwd savage w/ 40 series and those new proline street tires for the 40 series. Then you would have serious hook up and maybe get the extra 1-2 mph with the larger circumference tires. I know that my stock tires never hooked up fully even wound out. and literally watching the back tires smoke on ur MT can be a lot of fun. Who knows maybe we will start a new thing. BURN OUT competitions with nitro's Or do they already do this?