Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage 21, new guy!!

Old 05-21-2003, 09:32 PM
getzy3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 21, new guy!!

Whats upeverybody?? I am just getting into rc cars since i can afford it now. I think i am diving head first into it though by buying a nitro but i've always wanted one so i got it. I got a savage 21. I have been reading through here and have seen some stuff that makes me think it isnt as good of a truck as everyone said it was. I hope i dont have all of the problems so people in here did. If you guys have any tips, do's or don'ts with nitro's, feel free to share them. by the way i am 17 and also into imports so i have 2 expensive hobbies, good thing for working a summer job and after school.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Justintoxicated

Im new too, and i REALLY want a Savage, it won't have as many problems as a T-maxx...

Every car seems to have some quirks to them, Sohonestly, you may have to fix a few thigns as they break but hopefully it will work out great.

How are the stock shocks I was disapointed they made them out of plastic when my 12 year old car came stock with giant adjustable aluminum shocks.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:44 PM
Letsskydive

whatever u have heard don't listen. that thing screams i have to one stock and one hoped up with a 8 port and whole lot a ****
Old 05-22-2003, 01:36 AM
Clown

Its got big suspension!
6.4 inch i think
It looks cool as, heaps better than a maxx or a terra crusher
and with all those hop ups!!
Old 05-22-2003, 04:10 AM
new72Savage

7" shocks largest in class. dont worry bout them being plastic if ur gonna bash. flexable, strong, light and cheap. Ur might have some issues but be patient.

within 2wks
replaced steering servo, dog bones, air filter (live in az very dusty) pipe (which isnt necc.) and added check valve to scavange line to sovle the "run lean" issue. (check savage-central for modifications if ur savage develops the 1/2 tank lean issue...3 fixes avail) Oh and watch the one way bearing in the transmittion. It it starts slipping (and u'll know it) call HPI and they will replace it.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:15 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

whats the hitec steering servo for?cuz the stock ones works with me fine.. would it make me turn on high speeds without rolling over?how much did u pay for it?
Old 05-22-2003, 05:18 AM
badboy2

hopefully u wont have problems starting it..but once u start it man never ending fun..break it in properly...and then tune it up properly cuz i sucked in tuning thats why i always have hard time startin it..but i solved the problem already..enjoy it
Old 05-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Unstable

Originally posted by Justintoxicated
How are the stock shocks I was disapointed they made them out of plastic when my 12 year old car came stock with giant adjustable aluminum shocks.
IMHO the savage has the best suspension out there for bashing.

from landing 8 foot jumps to driving over stadium trucks my savages suspension hasnt let me down.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:28 PM
jduran280

Originally posted by badboy2
whats the hitec steering servo for?cuz the stock ones works with me fine.. would it make me turn on high speeds without rolling over?how much did u pay for it?
I replaced my stock steering servo too (in fact with the Hitec 645MG) because the plastic gears in the stock one stripped twice. The 645MG has metal gears (hence the MG in 645MG) and I haven't had any similar problems yet.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:39 PM
remten2001

I upgraded mine alos with the hitec 645 MG servo....Good servo for the price...That with a kimbrough servo saver and its better than the stock set up now....More solid and less slopiness in the servo saver....The servo is just a tad faster than stock...But its a good cheap servo....
Old 05-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by Unstable
IMHO the savage has the best suspension out there for bashing.

from landing 8 foot jumps to driving over stadium trucks my savages suspension hasnt let me down.
Well after watching a STOCK Nitro Thunder King clear 2 minivans and get about 12-15 feet of air each time Over and Over I'm not impressed with the shocks on this monster truck, It may have 2x as many but they are still plastic. You would think they would have made things better in the 12 years since the NTK came out, maybe they just don't make them likethey used to?

Anyways Im still interested but for fricking $400 How about some decent shocks?

Is 1 servo really enough for steering? my old ETK (electronic . . .) need 2 servos to steer well, and the savage is about the same size although maybe a little smaller.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:20 PM
remten2001

whats the problems with the shocks?
Old 05-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by wizen2002
Nothing excpet they are cheezy friggin plastic!
Old 05-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Unstable

Originally posted by Justintoxicated
Well after watching a STOCK Nitro Thunder King clear 2 minivans and get about 12-15 feet of air each time Over and Over I'm not impressed with the shocks on this monster truck,
so that guy had a bigger ramp. I never said that 8 ft is the highest it CAN jump, its just the highest I have jumped.

I am trying to sneek into work and jump off the laoding dock using the ramps they have there. figure I can raise the ramp to about 30 degrees and about 3 feet high going off a 5 foot drop.

should be some decent air. now I just got to do it when the "cool" security guard is there on the weekend so I dont get in trouble.

It may have 2x as many but they are still plastic. You would think they would have made things better in the 12 years since the NTK came out, maybe they just don't make them likethey used to?
they do make things better..... better plastics.

Anyways Im still interested but for fricking $400 How about some decent shocks?

Is 1 servo really enough for steering? my old ETK (electronic . . .) need 2 servos to steer well, and the savage is about the same size although maybe a little smaller.
one servo works for me. I too upgraded to the HS645MG and and just need to install the new servo saver (as soon as I get around to it.) but one turns them for me.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Justintoxicated

Unstable make sure you take pictures or a video that would rock. let me know if the jumping goes successful, 15 feet of air is more than I would be willing to risk unless i was making a video.

It's cool that only 1 servo is needed then. Better plastics? What ever happened to aluminum!?!

And if you havent noticed I seem to be having trouble with my space bar lol
Old 05-23-2003, 01:29 AM
BUSH-MASTER

replace the: dogbones
driveshafts
radio gear
servos
pipe
loctite all screws
turn shock screw around rear near fuel tank
once you master tuning replace engine
then you will have a good savage good luck
Old 05-23-2003, 02:18 AM
new72Savage

Dont be fooled by the plastic shocks, they work very well and like i said plastic is best for bashing (flexible, light, strong and cheap). However one of my shock is defective from the factor (sticks at full extension) and teh adjustable preloads suck on the plastic shock. It adjustable preload is important to you then go for metal shocks with threaded preload settings.

my comments re: the servo would be the same as thoses above. u can keep the stock one, just dont hit anything solid with the front end or u will strip out the plastic gears. Metal gears was the most important characteristic i shopped for, with torque being second. If you dont race, i dont think the servo speed is that important.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:45 AM
bueno_z

I would not worry about the shocks, they are tuff. I bash mine like crazy, and they are still awsome.
However, I would replace the the rear shock oil with 40 weight. The engine will squat the rear end quite a bit.

Get rid of the composite pipe, and get a tuned one. The same goes for the air filter.

Also get hardened dog bones, or titaniums.

As for the motor I have been using Z-maxx transmission additive as an after run oil after every play time. So far the truck has almost run through Seven gallons of 25% nitro, and still has lots of compression, and power.

Also make sure that the 2 speed tranny screw has lock tight on it. When these trucks first came out that screw had a tendency to back out.

But the most important part is to get that motor broken in properly!

My truck is pretty much stock except for the parts that I have told you to replace.

This truck is tuff I have landed 8-10 foot jumps in gravel pits, and dirt some not so perfect, the truck chassy just keeps on taking a beeting.

I think that you have made the right choice for a nitro truck.
I have friends who have the other truck;( I won't mention the name because it hurts the feelings of those truck owners), and it can not take the punishment the SAVAGE can take.

Have fun man, you are going to enjoy that truck.

I am getting another truck, and it is going to be another SAVAGE.
The twin vertical ladder frame is what turned me to this truck; it gives the truck a lower centre of gravity compared to any other truck out there.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:42 PM
Unstable

not to mention the TVP is stiff.. forget about breaking bulks they are surounded and held in tight. .

as for the stock steering servo I have smacked things pretty good with mine and havent had a problem. maybe they are getting diffrent servos from the supplier now.

my savage was probably of the second or so run of the trucks. the uprights and hub carriers were half updated and my tranny screw was locktited in. but I had the old dogbones (replaced with HD kind)

so far I have onyl broken 2 old style hub carriers and two dogbones. oh and bent the heck out of the roll bar (good thing they include it)

I have updated the brakes, all the servos, added the reverse, hot bodies pipe, new air filter, and replaced a few screws that fell out (must remember to locktite things)

I also have in the works for it new shock oil 20WT (time for a rebuild) and am working on getting 4 wheel steering set up for it.

then when it comes in, a picco .26

its a great truck. I recomend it highly.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:40 PM
badboy2

my savage and terra crusher are reliable now
Old 05-23-2003, 06:53 PM
badboy2

these are my rides and check out the tc ..the skid plate was pushed in after a hard hit and then the savage has been using the tc's tires and stripped one of them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80870_25726.gif
Views:	11
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	47552  
Old 05-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Avalanche

Originally posted by wizen2002

Absolutely nothing. They have already proven to be tougher than the Hot Bodies aluminum shocks. Dont listen to someone that says "they are bad because they are plastic". Its an uninformed satement.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by Avalanche
Absolutely nothing. They have already proven to be tougher than the Hot Bodies aluminum shocks. Dont listen to someone that says "they are bad because they are plastic". Its an uninformed satement.
I didn't say the stock ones were crapy, I just said they are cheezy plastic. if they were exactly the same only aluminum I would feel much better about them. Just my opinion that plastic sucks. So the Hot Bodies are worse? Im probably going to by a savage next week, are there any aluminum shocks that ARE good for the savage?

I looked at a savage with the hot bodies and they also seemed very cheezy to me.