Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

RB Innovations Supercharger opinions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

RB Innovations Supercharger opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 12:21 AM
bobjones
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RB Innovations Supercharger opinions

Has anyone tried out the RB Innovations supercharger? I am not sure if it is being sold yet. I have heard some people saying that a supercharger wouldnt work for a 2-stroke engine. I know what a supercharger is and exactly how it works, but can somebody explain why it wouldnt work in a two-stroke.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:20 AM
lamp3y3

After watching the videos I wouldnt waste my money on it.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:22 AM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a two stroke the exhaust and bypass ports are open at the same time, any "pressure" would be blown out of the exhaust. There are no valves in a two stroke to hold the increased pressure in the combustion chamber, remember a two stokes gets its air fuel mixture from the crankase not direct from the carb. Its just another gimmick. Do a web search and read up on how the two stroke engine works and draw your own conclusion.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:16 PM
bobjones

Yeah, I read something about how a small part of the fuel-air mixture leaks out during each stroke (a reason for the two-stroke's messiness). It makes sense that the increased pressure would just be blown out along with more fuel. I looked through the supercharger and it is definitley real. But it would only be good as eye candy. I could definitely find better ways to spend that $150.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-26-2003, 04:24 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Default After seeing those videos!

It looks like they are slower then stock! With the extra weight added and no power gain!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:06 AM
ManicMechanic

Its very well engineered, but its never going to work on a 2 stroke nitro engine. Why they didn't focus their attention on four strokes I do not know.
Something like that would be great on say a 1/6 or 1/4 scale with a 4 stroker on it, as the technology is proved. It would increase the power to weight ratio, the one thing you lose when going bigger and to a 4 stroker.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:39 AM
bubbafien

my friend purchased it but has not yet used it. what you are saying makes sense but i think you are forgetting one thing(but i have not seen the video) that the air coming in the carb keeps the crankshaft moving and the faster and more air you have will push the crankshaft faster.

bubbafien

i am skeptical on the supercharger
Old 05-28-2003, 02:50 AM
bueno_z

I saw the video, and my Savage accelerates faster than what I saw on the video. I don't think I would waist my money on it. If that Super charger did work that truck would burn all four tires off there rims. If you have ever rode in a super charged vehicle, you would know that it accelerates instantly at a blistering rate.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:02 AM
bubbafien

what engine does YOUR savage have?! no STOCK savge will accelerate harder than that! i just saw the video.

bubbafien
Old 05-28-2003, 01:21 PM
bueno_z

All I have is the stock 21bb. I have had it ported, and polished.
the video I saw was the Savage showing at Idle for a while, and then taking off. I didn't even notice the tires spitting dirt on take off.
This is why I am skeptical about the supercharger. If my Savage can spit dirt on take off on all four wheels on take off, that supercharged Savage should have been able to flip on its back.

A supercharger is supposed to be able to add 30-40% more horses to a motor with instant acceleration. So the 21bb is rated at 1.9 horse, with the supercharger it should produce around 2.6 horses. I did not see 2.6 horses comming out of that truck.

I would want to see one in front of me before I bought one.
Another thing about superchargers is that if you bolt one onto an engine the engines compression has to be lowered. This acomidates for the extra air being rammed into the cylinder head.

I was thinking of getting a supercharger to, but I decided that the money would be better spent on a better motor.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:38 PM
ManicMechanic

I was thinking of getting a supercharger to, but I decided that the money would be better spent on a better motor.
Ahmen bueno_z you just hit the nail on the head.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:57 PM
bubbafien

i agree with both of you on the motor. i was talking about the maxx video sorry for the confusion.
but fyi the air isnt being rammed into the head but into the carb.

bubbafien
Old 05-29-2003, 02:17 AM
bueno_z

The air volume is still going into the cylinder head from the carb. The whole point of a supercharger, or turbo charger is to get more dense air in the cylinder head for better detonation with fuel. In other words more explosion per cubic inch in the cylinder head.

If you examine a real car with a super charger,or a turbo charger you will notice that the output end on both sytems are piped into a throttle body fuel injected carburator. From the carburator the forced air is then directed into the cylinder heads.

The turbo charger, and super charger both do the same thing, they both force compressed air into a motor.

The only difference between the two is where there power source comes from.

The turbo charger uses exaust pressure from the motor to drive the turbine that forces the air into the motor.

Where as the super charger uses a belt system attached to the fly wheel of a motor drive its turbine.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:07 AM

anyone got a link to the supercharger video??
Old 05-29-2003, 04:11 AM
bubbafien

i know how it works but the way you said "cylinder head" i didnt know what you are talking about. it takes place IN the cylinder, the heads are used to cool only.

bubbafien
Old 05-29-2003, 06:08 AM
ManicMechanic

Trust me guys this has been talked and talked about in other threads. Do a search. We could get into really in depth thermodynamics and modes etc and still people wont agree.
The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I've not yet heard of anyone who has one yet, or even if they're available. However, even when someone does get one, I won't really trust there appraisal as if it is a con/waste of money etc, who is going to admit it after forking out a load of cash?
I have a feeling someone will buy one of these things to try and prove someone else wrong. However it happens, we've certainly given enough time, space and free advertising to RBinnovations so maybe its time we let this rest and wait for an independant review of this thing from a model magazine.
Just my 2p's worth
Old 05-29-2003, 12:55 PM
bueno_z

I won't really trust there appraisal as if it is a con/waste of money etc, who is going to admit it after forking out a load of cash?
I have a feeling someone will buy one of these things to try and prove someone else wrong. However it happens, we've certainly given enough time, space and free advertising to RBinnovations so maybe its time we let this rest and wait for an independant review of this thing from a model magazine.
Just my 2p's worth [/B][/QUOTE]

Totaly true. Like I said before spend the money on a better motor, like an ofna picco .26, or a c5. If someone does buy one it would be just to be able to say,"That my friend is a supercharger".
Old 05-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Default Here is the link!

Now if you were to use it on a O.S. .26 or .40 4stroke then maybe we would have something here!

http://www.rbinnovations.com/RBK10541.htm
Old 05-31-2003, 03:46 AM
solo racer

I like the 4-stroke idea, but still will be lacking the RPM's. I am going to work on a 4-stroke into my spare XXXNT (if no one buys it).

I think it's a great idea and in theory it SHOULD work, however I am skeptical to buy it at it's current price. For 1/2 that price I would buy it just to see if it worked. Until I see some side by side comparison, dyno test, or personal experience I will not buy one though.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:42 AM
ofnamp

Default supercharger

The only thing I think it would do is cool the engine more, due to the air being forced through the engine and out the exh. That is the only thing I personally think it would help.

Opinions are like butholes everyone has them
Old 06-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Isphius

So someone is trying to make a 2 cycle supercharger? Forced induction wont do anything for a 2 stroke, not even help cool it. The only thing it would help is the air pass the air filter. The only bolt on that will help power is a tuned pipe and removal of the filter. any other power muct be made from port work, better fuel, and more rpms.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:29 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Default I've built full scale 2-strokes

I've worked in a motorcycle shop since I was 12 and I know a little bit about two strokes and RACING them. In our wildest dreams we couldn't even fathom the idea of putting a supercharger on a two stroke. (by the way the little bit was sarcasm) It's retarded, the video is the proof.... that savage had absolutely no bottom end power and didn't even have a top end wind out that high. Forced induction does not work on 2 strokes, now on the other hand a 4-stroke with forced induction that's where you see INCREASES in power. Port and polish will do some good and an actual tuned pipe and K&N filter will help more. But forced induction on a 2 stroke, especially of this scale you wont see hardly any difference/
Old 06-04-2003, 08:21 PM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

Interestingly... the air impeller or whatever is inside the super charger looks alot like the impeller that is already in the 8 port.

Except the 8 port sucks air/ fuel mixture in, while the super charger pushes it in.

Still, the 8 port was crazy fast compared to stocker motor (I know, I had one), so the fan system seems to work.

I would just buy a better engine for the money.

Just my $.02
Old 01-22-2005, 09:08 PM
wk4alvn

Default RE: RB Innovations Supercharger opinions

That's a good question i would like too see the video also. Can anyone please post a link.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Vitamin_J

Default RE: RB Innovations Supercharger opinions

superchargers DO work on 2-strokes

www.underhizzlefoshizzle.com/jimmystuff/page.JPG

http://www.underhizzlefoshizzle.com/...tuff/graph.JPG

http://www.underhizzlefoshizzle.com/...tuff/cover.JPG

just not as well as they do on 4-strokes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.