Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

LST2 / MGT 8.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:59 PM
bzinfinity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LST2 / MGT 8.0

Ive got the money saved up to pickup the truck I've wanted.

I'm at an impasse between the LST2 and the 8.0 MGT.

Does anyone happen to own both?

I'm really at a toss up. Someone tell me why I SHOULDN'T buy one over the other. Buying the winner of my little toss up tomorrow after work.

Thanks,

Bryan
Old 11-06-2008, 06:14 PM
davido666

Default RE: LST2 / MGT 8.0

LST2 all the way.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Sugafree

ORIGINAL: davido666

LST2 all the way.
Agreed! It's a Great Truck & comes with Nice a Radio ....
Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 PM
KRO

+3 for the LST2 , the MGT has the big motor but is lacking in the suspension dept .
Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's between those two, then I'd also say LST2. Better radio, better quality, better engine (completely different and not a gas hog), and an awesome suspension setup that every other monster trucker envies.

Tom.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:13 PM
bzinfinity

The hobby shop I use is convinced the Associated is the better truck.

I'm trying to figure out why they would say this. It can't be a sales pitch - the Associated is 519.00 to the LST2's 650.00, and I would have to buy more accessories if I took the LST2.

What makes the LST2 so better? Most of the online reviews say the 8.0 doesn't have mechanical issues and Nitro isn't THAT expensive, if it's just a gas hog I don't know that I care that much.

I have to admit I like the appeal of the bigger motor - does the benefits of the suspension on the LST2 counter the motor size? Whats the torque of the two trucks like compared to each other?

Is the Associated going to hold up like the Losi or is the quality really an issue?

Also - someone said "If it was between those two..." that sounded like you had a better idea for me? I'm all ears, I want the best truck for the money I've got.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 PM
BigGrump

I have both trucks, and while I find a lot of good qualities in the MGT, it always leaves me dissappointed. The LST2 is simply way better in almost all respects. Only negative is Tower Hobbies does not carry the LST2 line of parts.

The LST2 is every bit as reliable as the MGT and I think more reliable, handles way better, has better performance in all respects, is generally not hard to work on. And the radio just pushes it way over the top.

Dennis
Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 PM
bzinfinity

Hmmm...

I've got a Spektrum surface radio, so I could care less about the radios, but I'm interested to hear you say the Losi is better in all regards. Especially since you own both.

Which is a better all out basher? Thats all I really do.

Also, can you tell me if oth have the same local availability of parts/hop ups? Or does the Losi win simply because of Horizon Hobby / HobbyTown.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 PM
rcnitrohead

^ Yeah Grump summed that argument up. Remember, bigger is not always better. Sure the .50 size AE motor has monster torque, but it tops out at very low RPM's for a nitro engine. Once you gear it up so it can go as fast as a regular powered nitro, there is barely any difference. I like the MGT, but the Losi just takes the cake. Suspension is excellent, the quality is something to drool over.

Two other trucks I'd put into the mix would be the Savage XL and the Revo, these 4 are the most popular MT's out right now. If it were up to me, the comparison would be between the Savage XL or LST2, it depends on what you want to do with the truck, and what your personal preference is. All of the trucks are great in their own respects.

Tom.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Sugafree

You should ask your LHS if they'll Match or come Closer to On line prices......The LST2 is $569.99 at A Main........
Plus if you have the Spektrum........You can sell the JR Radio & receiver for $80 to a $100 on E bay.......
Old 11-06-2008, 10:26 PM
bzinfinity

They must have been running a special? It still shows 650?

Which, to be honest, is why there are 2 trucks in the competition for my affection, so to speak. I'm not sure I see 150$ more worth of value in the LST2 over the MGT.

You guys have given me some good reasons to think about spending the extra cash, but being as how I am relatively new to Monster Trucks, I need to justify another 150$ to my self for something I'm not sure I will be able to notice a 150$ difference in.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Sugafree

They Have to show the MAP Price, (Minimum Advertised Pricing )Because of Horizon...... Put it in your Cart to see the Real Price

And it's a Good basher/Easy to work on/All around one of the Best MT's ever.....
http://media.putfile.com/Quick-bash-day-with-the-LST2
Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds to me like you dont want the LST2 most likely because its more expensive or some other unknown reason. If you really need this much persuation to buy the LST2 just go ahead and buy the MGT. Get the truck that YOU want to get.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:51 PM
bzinfinity

Hmmm.... For only a few dollars more it will be worth it.

While I've got your attention, your opinion of the Savage big block trucks? Do they compare at all to the associated or the Losi?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Sugafree

I Don't know much about the Savages.......But the XL would be the one to Check out....
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 PM
bzinfinity

Ok. I just saw a video of an LST2 pulling a child in a wagon on YouTube. Thats freaking ridiculous.

The MGT videos are pretty sick too. Man this sucks. I wish I could test drive both. I'm leaning more towards the LST2, but I'm still not convinced. To buy from A-Main, it's still gonna cost me 560+30/40$ for shipping. 50$ savings not to mention the guys at the LHS where I used to work are probably going to stop my 2 year old employee discount when they find out I bought it online.

I hate decisions, lol.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Sugafree

This LST is Built for Pulling, http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=45454174
Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like divine said, get what YOU want. Whenever I have a difficult choice to make, my head is usually fighting against my heart/gut.. Best advice I can give is, go with your heart/gut - ALWAYS..

I have an LST2, and it IS an awesome truck - the best RTR MT there is IMHO.. BUT, some people here have had them and not liked them.. Sssooo many factors - like it depends what you want to to, your LHS, your sense of what's cool, etc..

I started out an all-out Savage fan, but shifted over to Losi. IMO Losi just has better quality stuff. And the LST2 is the total package..

That said, the Savage XL or MGT 8.0 might very well be the perfect truck for an MT beginner like you..

What makes the LST2 so awesome is it's handling and speed. The stock Mach engine is my favorite engine period. (I have three Machs - they rock..) For bashing, the stock wheels are great - makes big flips really easy. But if you convert to 17mm and put on some racing tires, the LST2 is silky smooth(for an MT..) on a race-track... Plus you can pull stuff, climb hills, whatever you want. The LST2 does it all - and WELL.

The LST2 though IMO is kind of a more-advanced truck. If you're just starting out, the Savage or MGT are good choices too, so get whatever appeals to you.. It kind of sounds like you're having to convince yourself of the LST2, which isn't good..

The Savage XL is supposed to be pretty good. But my gripe with HPI is the drivetrains in the Savages. Diffs still blow apparently, even in the XL, and the cups and bones and stuff are lower quality than Losi. I've had really bad luck with the plastic on my X SS, but apparently that's just me..

The MGT I don't know much about - but it looks cool...

All of the above are good trucks, so get what jumps out at you more...

ps If you go with the LST2, I recommend the following..

For bashing:

1.) New Era roll-bar
2.) Dynamite engine-brace
3.) yellow springs
4.) Pick up a couple backup sets of arms on ebay. Cheap and an easy fix.
5.) Not totally necessary right away, but eventually the hard ano skids are a good idea...

For racing:

1.) For starters, the Mugen 17mm hexes with some shims
2.) some LPR offset premount Crimefighters for ex
3.) Wing-kit..
Old 11-07-2008, 12:03 PM
bzinfinity

I guess you guys are right.

The reason I'm having such a hard time is because I hate, hate, hate the Stadium Truck "image." The LST2 looks like a big 'ol meaty stadium truck, whereas the MGT looks like a Monster Truck. (Which is the reason I never even looked at the Hellfire trucks)

I think thats whats holding me up, if I'm honest about it. I think the truth is that I will never be doing 15-20' jumps or racing competitively, so cool factor may be the deciding factor in what I buy.

Still wish I could drive both =/.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 PM
HerrSavage

The stock body on the LST2 is ugly, that's for sure..(I sold mine new without ever running it..) But as with everything else, there are many other body options..

Look through the pic thread in the Losi forum. There are lots of racers, but lots of MT-style bods as well..
Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 PM
hilifemt

I have a MGT 4.6 version and bash it pretty hard. It's been a great truck for me. There are quite a few MGT die hards on the MGT forum that have LST2's too. They say the LST2 is a little better in alot of ways and a much better racer. I have heard some of them say the MGT bashes a little better though. Not sure if there is any truth to that. The LST2 is clearly a much better racer.
Over all I would say the LST2 is a slightly better truck out of the box. With RPM arms on the MGT it will hang with ANY truck as far as bashing goes, with proper suspension set up. Here's my MGT bashing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPicRTKr_0&fmt=18

slow mo version:

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/n...BGAIR_0001.flv
Old 11-07-2008, 02:21 PM
bzinfinity

Ok heres a couple urelated questions since I am gettin into Trucks for the first time.

I hope you will understand I never did ANY jumps with my RS4's, lol.

#1: Is sand bad to run the Nitro trucks in? I live on a beach, and I can see some SWEET freaking jumps already made by nature from my window right now. Will the sand tear it up? Any special maintenance I need to be aware of when running on sand?

#2: In Mid air - which throttle direction does what to the trucks motion? IE - if you slam on the gas going forward, what happens?

Also, related to that question, there is a servo that changes the MGT to reverse, yes? And I have to push a button to do so? Is this possible in midair to make corrections? Or am I missing something?

Some basics for bigger jumps would be great so I don't tear up the truck in the first hour after break in.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:05 PM
HerrSavage

Sand prob just causes the bearings to wear faster, and requires more frequent air filter cleaning..

For jumping, give gas to correct the nose UP or hold it at full-gas to flip it(letting off at the right point..), and brake it to bring the nose down.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Savage_Dias

That's a nice video hilifemt. Even nicer truck!
*agrees with HerrSavage*

The best thing to do is go for what you want. If you aren't happy you end up thinking about another R/C. Personally I would recommend a Savage but I don't think you'd go wrong with either of the other two. Print some pics out & put them on your fridge. Keep track of which one your eyes are happiest looking at. After a week, get what you want,
Old 11-07-2008, 11:33 PM
BigGrump

I also have an older Savage. That was not mentioned when you first asked between the LST2 and MGT. While the LST2 is my favorate between the MGT and LST2 and simply drives best, not to mention the transmission has a low range gear too, the Savage is my total favorate truck for simply how I like it because of pride of ownership, how it works, and it is built like a tank.

The Savage cannot hang with the LST2 as far as handling, but for out and out fun, the Savage is it for me. If you were considering a Savage, I would recommend the XL with the three speed transmission. Simply cool to hear it shift twice.

Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.