Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Newbie frustrated....pull starter broken

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Newbie frustrated....pull starter broken

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Newbie frustrated....pull starter broken

It's cold today and I had trouble starting my engine and I tried extra pulls and the engine wouldn't start and eventually I broke the pull starter.

I tried to take out the pull starter by removing my fuel tank first because it's right beside the fuel tank. After I took out the tank, There's still not enough space to unscrew the pull starter box.

I was just wondering If I have to remove the engine from the mount in order to replace the pull starter?

Also, is pull starter hard to replace??
Old 11-19-2008, 08:44 PM
MadManAndrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie frustrated....pull starter broken

Yes, you have to remove the engine to take off the pullstarter.Not from the mount, but the mount from the chassis. much easier that way... Don't try taken ur starter off with the engine still in the car, theres a spring and some gears in there that you have to watch for...

No, it's not hard, pull the old one off, slide the new one on, Done...
Old 11-19-2008, 09:03 PM
samguan

Thank you! That's what I though too. Also, When putting the engine back onto the chassis, Should I apply some thread lock? If so, Blue or Red???
Old 11-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Blue threadlock on any metal to metal screws. Also, EVERY NEW nitro driver breaks a pull start. It is a rite of passage. I broke a few when I got started and I wasn't as calm as you!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM
samguan

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Blue threadlock on any metal to metal screws. Also, EVERY NEW nitro driver breaks a pull start. It is a rite of passage. I broke a few when I got started and I wasn't as calm as you!
Where do you guys leave your car? I leave my car in my unheated garage and the temperature in Toronto right now averages below 0 and I always have trouble starting the engine and that's why I broke my pull starter.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Keep it in the garage... You can drain the fuel and then keep it in the basement in a safe spot maybe. Next time you try and start, get a hair dryer and heat up the entire engine for a few minutes. When the engine is warmed slightly, it will start easier.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 PM
samguan

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Keep it in the garage... You can drain the fuel and then keep it in the basement in a safe spot maybe. Next time you try and start, get a hair dryer and heat up the entire engine for a few minutes. When the engine is warmed slightly, it will start easier.
ya, I thought about that too. You know what, I removed the glow plug and notice that the fuel inside the engine looks like ice. Maybe that's the problem
Old 11-20-2008, 07:15 PM
samguan

Well, tried to rebuilt the pull starter today. Tried numerous times putting in the springs and everytime when it's almost done, the spring always come out. Went to LHS and bought one instead and now I can play again
Old 11-20-2008, 08:39 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: samguan

ya, I thought about that too. You know what, I removed the glow plug and notice that the fuel inside the engine looks like ice. Maybe that's the problem
lol, i got a good chuckle outa that...
Old 11-22-2008, 03:35 AM
dacaur

Have you ever tried to start a lawn mower or weed trimmer in the winter? Its darn near impossible.... bring them inside and let them warm up though, and they start right up....
Old 11-22-2008, 10:46 AM
samguan

ORIGINAL: dacaur

Have you ever tried to start a lawn mower or weed trimmer in the winter? Its darn near impossible.... bring them inside and let them warm up though, and they start right up....
thank you for the tip. you are absolutely correct. After reading to use a hair dryer to warm up the engine in the user manual, I tried it yesterday, damn, it started with just one pull!! Amazing.

Also, with a roto start? I can start the car even it's cold?? or you still have to heat up?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 PM
dacaur

you would still want to heat it up.