Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT 8.0 Clutch Problems?

Old 12-24-2008, 02:33 PM
BDT1967
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT 8.0 Clutch Problems?

Hi all, have a problem with my truck, I am at the track right now so would appreciate a quick response, granted I know its christmas eve and people are probably with their families. Anyway, my truck was running great, I brought it to a stop and it died abruptly I went over to start it and it fired right up it idled for a second then made a clank and died when it made the clank sound the truck lurched forward. I tried again and the samething happend I put the truck on the starting stand it fired up I ran it for a while on the stand about 1/4 throtel and it did great I let off the throttle it spun down idled for a second then clank and dead. This is my first nitro, I have been running emaxxes for years so this is new to me. Any ideas what might be going on?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:41 PM
bzinfinity

Default RE: MGT 8.0 Clutch Problems?

You can idle ok?

Does it die when you apply throttle or when you let off completely?

Did you take the clutch bell off? Just curious why you are attributing it to the clutches?

It sounds almost as if your low speed or idle is not set right, but the clank you describe I can't really pinpoint in my head.

My MGT will not idle for very long without starting to move forward by itself or dying, but I keep my low end relatively lean because I like the insane-o wheelie power.

What are your needles set at right now?

What is your idle set at right now?

Old 12-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Sugafree

Chances are you have a Broken Clutch Spring.....Pull the Clutch bell and take a look.....
Old 12-24-2008, 03:45 PM
bzinfinity

Never had a broken clutch spring do that - I would listen to Suga though. Check it and make sure.

I know this much, the clutch shoes and springs have been replaced already and I'm only 2 gallons in. I broke a spring in between runs somehow, but my truck wouldn't even start when the spring was broken.

I'm guessing the stock associated springs aren't the best quality.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:21 PM
full maxx

my genesis made that sound when it would die,can't explain it...must just be the big blocks, but it just sounds like your needles are off a little , being your first nitro there is a tuning guide [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8117573/tm.htm]clicky[/link]here also look up tuning a nitro engine cause air temp humidity elevation and nitro content all play a part in how your mill runs
Old 12-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Surely sounds like a clutch spring broke. Without even one of the three/four, the clutch will immediately engage and push the truck forward.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I think it sounds like a busted clutch spring too.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:13 AM
BDT1967

Thanks for the imput fellas, to answer some questions, no it sometimes will idle for a few seconds then it just stops, other times as soon as I pull the starter off the truck it dies, no haven't pulled the clutch bell will do tomorrow or next day. The truck does have some metal shavings around the clutch bell, and I think these trucks have metal shoes on the clutch so it almost seems to me like 1 or 2 are draging. I will let you know what I find. What's the best way to pull the bell, moving the engine back seems to be the most practicle?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:07 PM
BDT1967

K removed the clutch bell found that both the bearings on the clutch bell were gone, the clutch shoes looked good, the springs were good, replaced the bearings for 3 bucks, ran two tanks of fuel through the truck without a hitch! Thanks guys!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Woooo! Glad to hear you're havin fun. Get some videos up!