Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

I guees I need to change my name.

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

I guees I need to change my name.

Old 06-03-2003, 09:50 PM
maxxdaddy74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guees I need to change my name.

I would just like to say I was convinced to finally break down and buy a Savage. I know I stated I would never trade my Maxx in and I still haven't. I just simply purchased another truck for comparison. I figured before I bad mouthed anymore Savages I better own one and experience the truck's pros and cons. Saying this I would appreciate any advice on break-in , minor and major adjustments , or just about anything else I should know before heading out to the track for a run this weekend. Maybe my new name will be Flipper (Depending on how the Savage compares to my Maxx)
Old 06-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Rex2342

Is your Maxx stock?If not just remember that when doing your comparison.I don't think you'll be disapointed with the savage other than the speed everything else is awesome.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:13 PM
maxxdaddy74

No my Maxx has only the bumper brackets, Trans. case, front complete differential and rear differential case only, tie-rod ends and skid plates still stock everything else is upgraded.

Pro Racer Hobbies Race chassis
Dynamite threaded shocks
RR FWO conversion
RR rear diff.
MIP cvds front and rear
Dynamite center cvds
Hitec 645 steering servo
MX3 Airtronics with throttle servo
Racers Edge alum bulkheads frnt & rear
Racers Edge alum trans braces
Full Force screw kit
Integy alum shock towers
RR clutch bell & spur gear
Team Blue Star sealed blue bearings
RPM suspension arms
Proline servo saver
Sirio TX-18 8 port
Sirio Bigbore Pipe
Racer hobbies NIMH rx pack
RPM skid plates
SportMaxx rims with Sport Traxx tires
Traxxas alum wheel hexes

God that seems like a lot of money.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:16 PM
JCJR

Did you get my message
Old 06-03-2003, 11:32 PM
maxxdaddy74

Hey JCJR check your PM's
Old 06-04-2003, 02:36 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

The only advice that I can give you is to buy at least 1 glove to use while you are trying to start your engine for break in. If not, get ready for some nice blisters to form. Mine are still healing, and I've had my savage for about 3 months now. Just put a rotostart on it and now my hands love me. (no comments on that last one guys)
Old 06-04-2003, 03:11 AM
maxxdaddy74

Default Stock Engine?

Should I sell the stock engine and get a Hyper 8 port or use the stocker? How good is the stock engine?
Old 06-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Rex2342

IMO sell the stock engine before you even start it and get the Pico .26.The 21bb is a nice reliable engine but it doesn't make good power.I've seen them sell on ebay for as much as 100$ so if you get lucky you can do that and get the Pico for dirt cheap.Make sure and get a set of HD dogbones if you swap engines too.I broke mine with 8port and the Pico makes even more power.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:35 AM
maxxdaddy74

Default Picco 26?

I've been reading that it is a piece of crap from a thread in this forum. Do you know anyone else who is not having the problems that other guy did? It seems like he was pretty dissatisfied with his engine. How is your 8 port? How much does a 8 port go for anyway?
Old 06-04-2003, 03:43 AM
Rex2342

So far thats the only bad thing i've heard about the Pico engine.My 8port runs great.It fires up everytime on the first or second pull even after sitting for a few days.I bought mine for $130(I think)off the internet.I've got about two gallons through it already and it's really making good power.Here's a link for the site I got my engine from.They have good prices and I got my engine in 2 days.http://www.extremercmotorsports.com/...at&ref=ENGINES
Old 06-04-2003, 05:23 AM
maxxdaddy74

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:57 PM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

you can get an 8 port for 120 @ ultimate hobbies.

bubbafien
Old 06-05-2003, 01:36 AM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

I had an 8 port, it was a pain to tune, and I broke 2 pull starters during break in.

I sold it (on this forum) and bought a Picco .26. Haven't broken one pull starter yet, and I love it.

Way more torque than 8 port, and seems almost same top end. It's amazing really.

I could wheelie if I tried with 8 port and 16T, but I can't seem to not wheelie with the Picco... I had to glue the wheels onto my wheelie bar... they kept coming off due to all the crazy wheelies. Also, I bent the angle down on the wheelie bar so I can ride wheelies better.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:12 AM
maxxdaddy74

Default Went to track today and what a surprise

I went to my local track today and I guees I owe all of the Savage owners a big apology. The Savage just would'nt stop running. My daughter who is 8 yrs. old could'nt have been happier and she was able to hit all the jumps and bring this thing down on all 4 everytime. I was shown up by her after my Maxx broke on the second tank (sheared the screws in the rear diiff). Time to upgrade. This is something I hope I dont have to do with the Savage. Well I like the stock engine for now but I know I'll be yernin for some more speed soon. The shop I purchased this thing from was kind enough to do the break-in of the engine after I called and asked them to. The engine ran 6 trouble free tanks and never went above 250 degrees. My Maxx was sidelined thanks to the added torque of the Sirio and now its broke again. I must say the Savage does need a better steering servo and I also noticed a lot of play in between the drive hexs and the stock rims. I just put on the extra set of Traxxas rims with bowties and that problem was solved. Does anyone want to buy a new set of Savage rims and tires slightly used (1 tank)? I'll know more this weekend how the Savage will do up against some other Maxxs on the track where it counts to me.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:08 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Maxxdaddy,
How much do you want for the stock Savage rims & tires?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:56 PM
dmzamora

Wanna know too

Daniel
Old 06-06-2003, 01:53 AM
maxxdaddy74

Hows $40.00 plus shipping sound?
Old 06-09-2003, 09:55 PM
maxxdaddy74

Went to the track this weekend and even though my daughter was the only other person in the T-Maxx class we had some fun. She ran the Savage while I had the Maxx back in action. I know there are some Savage fans that wont like this but the Maxx is still king of the track and the Savage is the king when it comes to bashing around. My daughter put a valiant effort but did not succeed. She is only 9yrs old. Next week we'll swap trucks and see if it was driver or machine that is better. I did'nt cut her any slack either and she was right on my tail most of the time. Savage is still a good truck in my opinion any day of the week even on race day. We had the Savage pulling wheelies in the grass on command at 230 degrees. If you think the stock engine is junk maybe you should take another look at it. We did put the Sportmaxx rim/ Sporttraxx tire combo on it though. Awesome tires for the track and grass.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Rex2342

Really!!! Wheelies with the stock motor???I couldn't get mine to wheelie at all?Maybe it has something to do with the stock tires???They didn't seem to grip very and I changed the engine before I gave the Big Joes a shot.Maybe I'll switch engines real fast just to see if it will wheelie with the new rubber.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:09 PM
andy13

I think when you race the savage you will change your mind. Especially if you drop in a hyper 8 port. I would rather race my savage then my maxx anyday.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:12 PM
maxxdaddy74

I have tried it on the track and it does handle the bumps better but it needs the maneuverability of the Maxx. I do like it though.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:28 PM
maxxdaddy74

I was using the SportMaxx rims with the new Sport Traxx tires from Traxxas. Man those tires are awesome. I'm thinking of getting another set so both trucks have that advantage.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:30 PM
dmzamora

Aren't these tires much smaller than the stock ones?

This will make the Savage slower and stronger.

This will also explain the wheelies on command, and maybe the fact that your Max is slightly faster on the track

Daniel
Old 06-09-2003, 11:23 PM
maxxdaddy74

Yes they are a little smaller but they work a lot better than the stock tires. I did run the Savage with both the original tires and the Sport Traxx tires. Believe it or not on the track the Spot Traxx were faster probably because they Have better traction.