Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Gas or Electric and why?????

Old 06-07-2003, 01:21 PM
phil313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas or Electric and why?????

It seems that there are a lot of issues with gas engines but is this entirely true? I am buying this week and I am having a hell of a hard time swaying away from gas. What are your thoughts!!!
Old 06-07-2003, 01:34 PM
Legendary

Default There is just nothing like Nitro!

You can build an electric truck that will beat a Nitro truck but, it will cost you and I hate the run times of electric! You can run a nitro car or truck all day long with 8 AA's for the RX! You would need $200 or more in batteries for an electric and I still don't think you would come close to the run times (10-15mins per tank for Nitro and 7-10mins per battery that can cost as much as $60 for a good one)! Nitro is messy but, it is worth it to me! Plus the sound of a Nitro! :sunsmiley
Old 06-07-2003, 02:09 PM
shadowedkilla

i had a nitro, granted it wasnt a very good one, but it kinda depends on your location IMO. high altitudes a gas engine will run like crap compared to lower alt do to the lack of air. living at above 8000 feet ive found electric are much better in terms of you wont have to spend a alot of time working on the engine, not nearly as messy, and just as much torque. if you want fewer hasles i would go with electric. but thats just me.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:47 PM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

Just buy both

Seriously, I still have my electric buggys from when I was younger. But it seems that the older I get, the more expensive my toys get. Now all I buy is Nitro.

I still run the electrics around the house to chase the girlfriend's cats
Old 06-07-2003, 03:00 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Other than cats.

I just LOVE the ease of use with an electric.

Granted.. ease of use isnt exactly a part of a "hobby", but its nice to know that your electric will start every time when you hit that switch! (exceptions noted).

With nitro.. you gotta fool with it.

But the runtiimes and the sound.. and just knowing that this is THAT close to the real thing.. make it worthy!

I would say that nitro is more advanced than electric in that you have to think about a lot of things. The technology isn't "given" to you as in the case of electrics.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference in the end.
Neither is faster or better in the end.
Weigh your needs and wants carefully and pick your pleasure!

ram
Old 06-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

Nitro.
Electric is more like a toy.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:35 PM
shadowedkilla

lol guess what? they are toys in my eyes hehe. something that YOU can get hurt in makes it no longer a "toy" =P
Old 06-08-2003, 03:06 AM
Alteramod

Hrrmm you can get hurt lol. Just stand still for a moment and let me run ya over

I choose nitro:

The main reason to me is sound. Not just sound though there are other things that make me choose nitro. Another big one is power, it seems to me that it is easier to get more power with nitro. Another is it seems less of a "toy" and more of a hobby. Its not a hobby to me untill I have to work on it to get it to run right.

The only thing that I would buy a electric for is to give to the little kid to play with after he asks me "can I drive it please?", and to play around with in the house
Old 06-08-2003, 02:03 PM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

I agree with the electric for in the house.

Too bad with all this rain in PA, I can't fire up the nitro heli's in the house
Old 06-08-2003, 02:21 PM
creeping death

NITRO...longer run times, killer sound, and those fumes...mmmmm!!!
Old 06-08-2003, 05:36 PM
whitexj
My Feedback: (1)

I have both and i honestly cant say which is better. They're both fun just electrics a little easier. Charge go and for gas fill start adjust go adjust go untill its just right.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Rex2342

Hmm...Nitro or electric....while electric is easier but you gotta buy those expensive batteries/chargers.I think electric is still cheaper...once you buy a few packs and a good charger thats all you'll need for a long time.With nitro you gotta keep buying fuel and I don't know about anybody else but I could burn through a gallon of nitro in a day between 3 cars.So the cost of Nitro is greater in the long run but the pleasure and the sound and smell of nitro is something that can't be beaten.

I SAY NITRO ALL THE WAY!!!!!
(but I am buying an electric pan car so I can race since there aren't any outdoor tracks here but don't tell anyone)
Old 06-08-2003, 11:24 PM
tjmaxx

I have 2 nitro's I love them but where I live in IL the winters are pretty bad so this winter I want to get an electric tc3 so that I have an rc to drive when it is snowing, but I would go with nitro because I love the sound also I think it is fun to clean them and work on them also tune them.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Justintoxicated

I just switched form electric to nitro and i gotta admit NITRO ROX!

So I say Nitro!

Nitro goes a long time, it costs some for fuel, but IMO its much better. I can't wait to take mine camping to the desert, and there is no place to charge batteries! So I'll just charge my glow plug charger. and bring some AA's and im set.

I like the sound of the nitro! it sounds like a little mini Yamaha Banshee. The smoke and sound are sweet, and it just feels like more of an adult toy. Don't get me wrong, electric has its place too and its advantages, But I think my electric trucks will be sitting around while im out running the savage!

So far it has been very easy to tune and I have had no problems aside ffrom some glow plug charger issues.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:37 PM
JCJR

I've never ran an electric other than store bought cheapo r/c.
But I have two nitros a HPI RS4 and Tmaxx.

With Nitro, half the fun is taking it apart, trying to get it tuned, not overheating it and so forth.
Sometimes I get excited because it cranked over on the first pull. I think tinkering with it is half the fun.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Bonefrost

Yup,
Gotta be a GEARHEAD!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:05 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

LOL I love these topics, most people are in it for the distruction, so's they can tear it down and rebuild it!! I do this twice a month with my gas cars, and realy never worked on my electrics, but of course they sat on the shelf 95% of their life.

If this is your first car Id say go with electric.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Scarface

Default Re: Gas or Electric and why?????

Originally posted by phil313
It seems that there are a lot of issues with gas engines but is this entirely true? I am buying this week and I am having a hell of a hard time swaying away from gas. What are your thoughts!!!
I am 22 and have been into r/c off and on since I was around 10 I think...I used to only have electric cars because they were so easy to maintain no hassle, just charge up and go! As I got older I wanted a nitro car but I never reached out because I had always heard all these stories when I was younger about how they were super expensive and you had to know alot about them to keep them running. Well ignorant me never checked into it till about a year ago when a few of my friends started getting big into it and they bought a few cars. I went with them to the local campus parking lot and watched about 5 of them run their cars. I was amazed! They assured me it wasn't as big of a deal as I had thought and they would help me through the initial setup and guide me on how to clean and maintain them..Well a few days later I went to my local "Hobbytown USA" (about an hour from me) and took one of my friends and I purchased my first nitro car, the HPI RS4... A few hours later I was having so much fun! Not only was it fun to watch them drive theirs but when I was in control, man! I love the sounds, the smell, the speed....I don't know if I will ever go back to electric, however they do have some very fast electric cars, and also, whats a hobby if you do the same thing over and over, I like having something to work on, or when something goes wrong I like to track it down etc...I like to adjust and tune the nitro cars rather than plug my battery pack up and go...I just got my T-Maxx the other day and love it too, haven't got to enjoy it because 20 minutes after I got it, i ran it into the side of my BMW and chipped one of my nice 19 inch wheels! Not to mention I broke the upper and lower right control arms, off to Tower hobbies and I ordered what i needed! Have fun and keep us informed!
Old 06-10-2003, 06:40 AM
hitler75

Nitro is a nice way to get off that dope pipe. The fume will definitely make you go for more... even mezmerized. The sound, the speed, the power... no electric can give you the fun and excitement. Half the fun is tuning and maintaining your rig like a real car... the other half is when you meet people who share the same hobby and sharing tons of fun
Old 06-10-2003, 04:23 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I agree 100% with Scarface. I had electric. I got tired of driving for 6 minutes (not even long enough to break something) and the batteries go dead. Now I gotta either buy 5 batteries and keep em all charging or drive such a short time.
I decided to go with nitro since im getting into planes anyway I'll need fuel. I like the fact that I can gas it start it and drive it. Not drive it charge it for 20 minutes while I twiddle my thumbs...
Old 03-11-2004, 06:40 PM
gbone

Default RE: Gas or Electric and why?????

in this hobby, you gotta have both. they're both sooo much fun to tinker around with. trying to elicit maximum performance from each design type is just too much fun. for me, only together do my heavily modded performance savage 25 and tricked out Tc3 and Hacker brushless setup satisfy all of my r/c cravings.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:49 PM
mrjason82

Nitro definately...I love the noseburning smell and the sound. So much more realistic and cooler. I just love engines though. I wouldn't mind getting an electric just to drive around inside the house on a rainy or extremely cold day though.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:42 PM
nownnew

Ah, the age-old question, "nitro or electric," "to be or not to be?" As others have said before, it is just personal preference. Look at your surroundings. Do they permit the use of a nitro car/truck? I live on a quiet street and use an electric TC3. With a nitro, you have to worry about the noise level and the gas smell. Any nearby residents have allergic reactions to that? I am not saying that electric is better, but just that both nitros and electrics have their advantages and disadvantages.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:19 PM
geneh-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would go Nitro. Its like the real world. Do you think that a Dodge Ram could out run a Viper? Its personal preference. Which ever one you think is better ( or which ever one you like better). I think electrics are a little cheaper in the end, it just all depends on how many months or years you run your cars/trucks. With an electric you spend $600 maybe $700 and your set. However, when new batteries come out you will HAVE to have those to win a race and stay with your opponents. Now with nitro you spend $200-$300 on just the car and have to turn around and spend another $300-$400 on a motor and electronics. But if you spend $250 on the car itself and $300 on the electronics/motor, you are set for life unless your motor wears out or you break your car (easy fixes). Gas will cost you $10-$25 for each gallon you use, but isn't that cheaper than paying $60 for a single battery pack; and you have to have atleast 5 of them. Personally I like maintaining and tuning the car. What is the fun in plugging in wires and running for about 6 minutes and then waiting for 20-30 minutes for a pack to charge. Im not saying nitro is better than electric, but they all have their advantages and disadvantages. I have had numerous nitro cars and numerous electric cars and I really think that nitro is better just because I think around half of the fun is in tuning and maintaining the car. Like I said, it is personal preference. Choose what you want and if you aren't happy with it, then sell it and buy an electric.

Have fun with what you decide to get!!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:05 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Well, since were talking about bashing, and not racing, let me add a little information if i can. With an electric, you can buy a cheap 1500nicd for about $10. They will last a long time, and work great for bashing. You can have 4 cheap basher batteries for what you can have 2 half decent gallons of nitro. Then if you buy a good 15min charger or something, there is virtually no limit as to how long you can run. If you have 4 packs and a good charger, you can run for a while. Even though your supposed to let it sit for a minute to cool, it wouldnt take much. I have a nitro and an electric, and 1 set of electronics, and guess which one there in. The electric. I do have a crappy nitro, but i have NEVER had any luck tuning it, or running it. And to top it off, the motor will only start good if its cool, so i had to let it cool off a lot longer than i do my electric truck. I just like the ease of use of electric, and its reliability. The ONLY thing ive ever broken on my electric truck(and i do bash and jump hard) was servo gears, and the idler gear in my tranny the other day, from the power of the 16t i put in. I agree that there is just a realness to nitro, that electric will never replace, but i just have a rough time spending $20 for a gallon of nitro every time i run a few days. Its also VERY messy. Its really what ever you want. Its just rough for a 16 year old like me to justify spending so much on a nitro after fuel and everything. My electric has WAY more bottom end than my nitro ever thought about having, but my nitro had more top end power. If i were to go drop $500 on a decent monster truck, it would be a nitro xtm mammoth, but im not gonna do that right now, and i just really like how simple and easy it is to run an electric. Its really just your budget/personal prefrence, so its whatever you want, but right now im really liking my electric.

Eric