Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

barely a newbie, but still am. Servo questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

barely a newbie, but still am. Servo questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:20 PM
breezerboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default barely a newbie, but still am. Servo questions

So, I'm on my second Nitro car. I've pretty much learned how to get the engine broke in and tuned fairly well. What I don't have a clue on how to do is working with the linkage that does the brake/throttle. My engine is all tuned and runs great but when I have it perfect I barely have brakes. If i make the brakes work well, my truck won't sit in an idle, it will roll if I take off the brakes. I know I can adjust the remote dials, but I have them on the far limits and can't adjust any more. I also can't adjust my idle screw any more in one direction to let me use the remote dials either. What should I do? It's gotta be easier than tuning the engine, I'm just not seeing it.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM
breezerboat

Default RE: barely a newbie, but still am. Servo questions

wow, I should have re read that. full of punctuation and errors. I mean controller when i say remote.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 PM
transam388

OK, so you HAVE checked your EPA (End Point Adjustment) on your tranmitter for your braking and it is set to full.? Now EPA is NOT the trim knob. It is possible your radio may not even have this but I have to ask.

When you push the brake does it only move a small amount? If it is only moving a small amount I bet it is the EPA is not set to its full capacity. Also, use some fuel tubing to put between the brake line ends. Basically if the servo appears to move far but still is not engaging the brake enough the tubing can take up the extra space that is needed to further engage the brake. A very easy and cheap fix!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Here is the simplest way to do it. Take an allen wrench and loosen the metal collets that are on the metal "wire" that pulls your throttle and brakes. Turn your transmitter on, and center the servo. Take the collet for your brake, snug it up against the servo horn, and tighten it back down. Now take the throttle rod and make sure the carburetor is fully closed, and push the collet back up against the servo horn and tighten it(there should be a spring or fuel line there for it to snug up against). Now, take the end of the rod farthest from the carb, and slide the collet up snug on that side and tighten it up too. Now you should have a well set up linkage that works the brakes and throttle correctly. And if any adjustment is needed, you should be able to trim the servo to do it. Hopefully this is half way clear for you.

Here is a good video to help you set it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqLcyobUK4w
Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 PM
breezerboat

Transam388, yes, when i apply the brakes it barely moves at all.

Cumminsdriver, you said to turn the transmitter on and center the servo. are you saying to turn on the truck and controller? How do I center the servo?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Yes, turn on the truck, and the transmitter. You should have 2 little round dials on the transmitter. One for steering and one for throttle/brake. These are your "trim" settings. You want to set the throttle/brake trim setting at 0(neutral) before you adjust anything, that way if it does need to be adjusted a little you can use the knob on the transmitter to trim it one way or the other.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:13 PM
breezerboat

I think that makes sense. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
breezerboat

after reading it a few more times and letting is sink in, it makes complete sense. I never tried to loosen both collets. I was trying to do one at a time.