Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

RT-X 27 only 200 bones?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
TGreg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RT-X 27 only 200 bones?!

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTXF6**&P=ML]Is tower serious[/link] or is this truck that bad? I read the RT-X thread and it didnt seem THAT bad... 200 dollars seems kinda desperate on towers part. Could there be a new one coming out or what?

Discus...

Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
yoster

Default RE: RT-X 27 only 200 bones?!

Last week that had it for $175 ($200 minus the $25 coupon if you spend over $199).

I've been thinking about it for quite awhile... but I'm just too leary. The pain of my Duratrax Nitro Evader is still in my head.. you just don't want to get a truck on a deal but then end up spending a bunch of time and money always working on it. That said, I've heard positive things from racers about the truck.. but.. I'm a basher, not a racer. When I go out, I just want it to WORK! My Savage does that for me, and now I'm too afraid to move out of that comfort zone.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 PM
TGreg

oh yeah i completely agree, its like they're trying to lure you in with the price, since the trucks arent selling
Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

They seem underpowered by the videos i have seen of them. My stock .25 in my savage seems much stouter, but then again i havent ran one myself so its hard to say.

The worst thing is you have to order parts, and it seems like everything duratrax made when i first got into this hobby is obsolete now, and you cant buy parts for them at all, so im afraid of most of their stuff just for that reason alone. I want to be able to buy parts for my stuff down the road!

Id say its definately worth the money if the motor is decent and you can get parts. What i really think is a steal is the MMGT 3.0 for about $200 though. Thats a sweet little truck.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM
R/C Lightweight

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Id say its definately worth the money if the motor is decent and you can get parts. What i really think is a steal is the MMGT 3.0 for about $200 though. Thats a sweet little truck.

I just bought a MGT 3.0 for $200, and it's worth every penny. All you have to do is read through the threads on each truck to see which is worth the 2 bills. I personally wouldn't go near the RT-X 27, even at that price. Way too many issues.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 PM
TGreg

yeah i concur.

i was gonna get the mgt 3.0
Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 PM
R/C Lightweight

ORIGINAL: TGreg

yeah i concur.

i was gonna get the mgt 3.0

You won't regret it. Nice truck. Holds it's own against the bigger trucks too.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 PM
BigGrump

I agree, holds it own against bigger trucks. But, just drop a big Block engine into the MMgt 3.0 with a New Era BB kit, and hold onto your hat. It will blow the doors off most trucks, at least in the area of speed and wheel popping fun. Need to get some wider wheels and tires on it, then it will corner too. I think in just general use, this is the most elegant truck I have. Not the biggest Hammer, but very refined.

Dennis
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 PM
TGreg

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

I agree, holds it own against bigger trucks. But, just drop a big Block engine into the MMgt 3.0 with a New Era BB kit, and hold onto your hat. It will blow the doors off most trucks, at least in the area of speed and wheel popping fun. Need to get some wider wheels and tires on it, then it will corner too. I think in just general use, this is the most elegant truck I have. Not the biggest Hammer, but very refined.

Dennis
Wheelies and excess speed is horrible for racing

but yeah,, eventually ill have another mt..
Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TGreg

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

Dennis

Wheelies and excess speed is horrible for racing

but yeah,, eventually ill have another mt..
I have a picco .28 p3 2.5 maxx and all I have to say is... throttle control.

That is a steal for the 3.0. Does it have planetary diffs like its big brothers? Will the drivetrain stand up to a BB without much mods?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:58 PM
BigGrump

The diff's appear the same as the larger Mgt trucks, escept scaled down. Since I have been using a Picco .26 BB OUtlaw engine in it, there has been no drivetrain damage. What looks weak to me are the rather thin dog bones, but I have not damaged any from the big engine. However, even though I drag race it, and pop wheelies in the street all the time, I still try to drive smoothly in difference to the small scale drivetrain.

I am not much of a jumper, so the truck has not been exposed to on power landings or on braking landings, so the drivetrain might snap in these cases. There is though a slipper clutch that can be adjusted to help these times.

Dennis
Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Swill369

My rtx held up pretty well through the race the other day, did pretty well actually, has power in just the right places for local course. Now here's the bad part, I've owned it a little over 2 weeks. I've had to replace the shock tower from a low speed crash, got 2 shocks leaking from the same crash, have a bent rollbar, an engine that's difficult to crank. Everyone can say what they will, but customer support is horrible. I work Monday through Saturday, 14 hours a day and dont get off unless I take a vacation day, customer service won't replace the parts without messnding the truck in, which would require me to take a day off. Imjust notgonna do that to get a poorly built truck fixed. I offered to send pictures or videos of the broken parts, not good enough. Well, as I told them someone could give me a duracrap and I wouldn't take it! I'm probably gonna fix it with parts from
eBay and then sell it to the first idiot that I can find. I'm just gonna get me a 1/8 buggy, more of those racing at my track anyways!!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 PM
cummins driver

Without parts support, even the best R/C isnt worth anything unfortunately. Thats one thing i like about my t-maxx. You can get parts anywhere. Although my savage is easy to find parts for too, the t-maxx still has it beat in that area.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
bronx boy

I just paid 165.99 with my tower discount not bad.I already hve about 24 cars and trucks im a sick man i need help.My warhead evo is nice just needed a nice pipe to wake it up i like the old paris pipes from ebay they work great.When my godson is beating on my 1000.00 truggies i crindge when he does 5 or 6 cartwheels down the block.So for 165.99 i just sit back and let him be an 8 year old.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
mikez104

My son wanted a truck and we ended up getting one when they were $250. It is our first truck and I like it. He is not a racer but a basher and it has held up to several hard hits. Earlier this week he rolled it down the yard and it landed in the pond and was 3 feet under water for a minute or two. I posted in RTX vs Koi pond. I dried out the receiver and took out the engine and took it apart and sprayed it down with WD-40 and reassembled it and it fired right up. IMHO it is well worth the money.

I was going to get one so I could play with my son, his looked so fun, then the price went to $300 so I got the MMgt 3.0. That's a good truck too but I'm thinking his can take a lot more abuse.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 PM
j.newton007

I bought the RTX in Sept. and I've just recently put a new engine in it(LRP Z.28R). Couldn't be happier with it now. The super Pooper is not a good motor. Mine leaked, I sealed it , It leaked again, never would hold a tune, temps would jumps to the 390s within seconds. The list goes on and on. I did break a shocktower a while back and emailed a picture of my receipt and the truck(with the broke tower) and they emailed me back the next day saying that it was on the way. When I got the package it had a pair of towers in it. Then I broke the skidplates and they sent them right out to me. I like the stresstech warranty. I have to say that I have never had any trouble with the customer service. This is just a hobby to me and I don't have the money experiment with a variety of trucks, I'm sure there are way better trucks out there. The only thing I would like to see Duratrax change is the engine. Everything else seems to be in working order.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:18 AM
bronx boy

I like all my trucks mgt 3.0// t maxx 2.5 // warhead evo they all have there good and bad points.Im like you its a hobby just to have fun with i love to see my godson smile he lost his mom to cancer when he was 6 he is 8 now.What ever i can do to make him happy .I have become his personal pit crew he breaks them i fix them .Working on them is fun too. Every repair tuns into a reason to upgrade .I think im having more fun than him.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:34 PM
hondapride59
My Feedback: (2)

guy im actually glad i read this thread, i decided today i wanted to get back into the hobby so i purchased the rtx, no big deal alot of people dont like duratrax products but im into the fun aspect...but back when i used to be into the hobby i was a team associated man, i went to the local hobby shop today and was staring at the mgt of course and i said to myself when i get into the hobby a monster truck would be the truck because i need something to handle a beating, keep in mind i had a rc10gt with mashers that i abused but it ran like a beast

im glad to say i canceled my rtx order and saved about 20 bucks purchasing basically the same items for the mgt, a very happy day indeed
Old 03-15-2009, 04:51 PM
cummins driver

I just think the MGT 3.0 is the best bang for the buck if you are looking for a cheap, tough monster truck. And the best part is that it will have great support, and aftermarket real soon, if not already.

Should be a fun little truck![8D]
Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Skhills

Hello Guys just wanted to add my two pennies....

I have learned by my constant frustrations with my Duratrax nitro evader[:@]; To be prepared to work on your car no matter the brand or dollar amount you spend (over $400 when released) . And was going to get a MGT 3.0 because of brand name; until a R/C mechanic made me aware of how durable my evader actually was and how much it taught me about nitro engines and tuning and the hobby in general ; yeah i had tuning issues, and hot temps, but the motor lasted me over 4 years without a rebuild. when the guy rebuilt it he said it was cooked and done, and a new sleeve and piston was useless. Well it ran for another month and still cranks and goes. The tech said never should a motor last that long in Louisiana weather with the temps that they (.18) runs, and the issue i had would be solved with a new engine. I beat the hell out this car and only replaced the front end once; first day and first car you can understand. I was pissed but a solder iron and plastic can do magical things. I ran on those melted together parts for years and just replaced em. This is what lead me to the rt-x 27, same proven name (duratrax has proven to be a tough built car, and powerful engines.. oh yeah the support is unmatchable. you dont even need to register just give address and patiently wait for your free parts .) I wanted a nice tough framed Mt, with 4x4 for mud bogging and general dirt runs. The first thing that all hobby shops mentioned was the rt-x27 even tower. The price is crazy and this truck is too. Out the box inserted batts. fueled up and first start she was going. My love affair started... even rich and breaking it in, it displayed impressive power. Post break in - Steering servo crapped out on me but its electronic cant blame the brand, (two servos from evader still strong, so u know what i did) Duratrax sent me a new upgraded high torque all metal steering servo from futaba, gotta love em. (turned a curse into a blessing) [:-] after a little tuning in the tranny to adjust the shift point, because it will run u hot if you shift to late. This thing is a beast, dirt, muddy, street ...what ever you want. engine can easily lift it off the ground but why would i want that... that is no fun. so keep it tuned slightly rich for temps and overall life of the engine. Believe me the power is there ... LOCK TIGHT IT ... please .... i will call them out on this... I lost a wheel nut 3rd day. Few small issue but overall 1 great RTR experience The RT-X 27 has given me. The Chassis is tough 9.0/10, Engine 8.0/10.0 powerful and stout- its been hated on but i love it , Tires 9.0/10 these tires get er done , fuel tank 10.0- if they come bigger and last longer lead me to it. STEERING- 5.0/10.0 If your servo doesn't crap out on you then you will need to upgrade it to a higher torque model; it is my only massive complaint with this truck, but $33.99 (best futaba servo) + $199.00 (truck) is still cheaper than the competition and brings this truck to slightly surpass a lot of the competition. Just run with the body off and let them try to guess what it is without knowing and watch the jealousy run off their drooling mouths as i jump a concrete curb and keep spitting dirt everywhere... I LOVE this truck....TOUGH AS NAILS (With the balloon method of water proofing my electronics, i take this monster mud bogging almost daily in very very deep water, without one issue, heavy diff oil recommended). Now for racing i don't know because im not in that world ..but for the guy who is going to bash the hell out his truck and wants it to run for years to come, try Duratax and the Rt-x 27 you might be pleasantly surprised.. I KNOW I WAS.. I don't work for duratrax or any hobby company just wanted to give my honest feelings about this truck and brand from a regular Joe, who's read nothing but hate about a brand that has held up pretty damn good in my eyes, and they support their products . Duratrax-8.5 as a brand RT-X 27-8.5... Two warnings -[X(] 1.check everything out the box needles aren't set right, screws have no lock tight, and may be loose. 2. The harder you bash and muddy up your truck, the harder you should clean and baby it after; it'll last longer and it just feels right. (oh yeah seal those electronics, no matter what truck u run, if you run in mud and water logged areas do it)

EDIT: Removed profanity.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:45 PM
yoster

You can't tell me that you didn't have constant issues with your rear shock tower and differential on your nitro evader. I would break the shock tower every other jump where the truck landed upside-down.. literall. So frustrating!! I then one day found out that the shock tower from the T-Maxx is a direct fit to the nitro evader shock tower!!! WOW that made me happy. I've got one BEEFY shock tower on there now, so that completely solved that problem. Then for the diff, I had to go with all metal gears, the stock plastic just never held together.

Finally, that front steering servo. It would strip just by looking at it. Upgraded to metal gears.

Those I think were the primary frustrations I had with the nitro evader. That, and I don't like the ABN engine all too much. I can say that I love the shocks it comes with.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Come on, people that complain about spelling and grammer are pointless, but cant we at least give an effort at using paragraphs and sentances.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
raymanh

lol
Old 03-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Skhills

im not in school writing a paper so if you lose sleep over grammatical errors in a forum then just ignore my post, its really irrelevant ; if you can understand what im saying. Really i have never changed my rear shock tower on my evader; ill send it too you for free.(u pay the shipping) Just for you to inspect it. I only changed the front end once. My engine runs like its 99 years old though, i will tell you that. Dont get me wrong my evader left me highly pissed many a days but over all its been very durable and still cranks years later. oh yeah shadow use spell check next time...u mention my grammar.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just picked one up from Tower also. It will be my first venture into RC Trucks, or Cars. Now I'm looking at all the aluminum upgrades that I don't realy need. But they look cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.