Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage won't roll

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 12:38 AM
cemeb4dk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage won't roll

well i finally got my savage running again this weekend, had alot of fun bashing and jumping. But no my truck will not roll. frontwards or backwards. If I lift it up i can turn the front wheels or back wheels but not all four. So i obviously think its the trans. now i am still relatively new, have had the whole truck apart except the trans.

So my questions are
1. does this sound like a trqans problem or something else. I did check the brake and its not that.
2. If it is the trans anything specific I should Know before i tear this thing down monday night.

Thanks.
Happy fathers day to all the dads....
Old 06-16-2003, 01:45 AM
spazz

How tight is your clutchbell against your spur gear? If its too close your truck wont move.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:48 AM
Bacchuss

if the wheels turn and ALL the things the dog bones go into turn then try manually spinning the spur gear...if that doesn't turn then is prolly the transmission or the clutch is stuck. Make sure the front and rear differential spin freely....could be one of those as well.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:50 AM
cemeb4dk

no its not the spur gear and clutch bell..

its like the brakes are full locked on it. But when i lift up either the front or back those wheels spin.

Thanks for the advice and keep it comming....
Old 06-16-2003, 01:54 AM
cemeb4dk

bacchus.

Spu gear spins freely.

Its weird as i look more at it. If i lift say the back up in the air the wheels spin. But if i then set it back down and lift the front end and try just to roll it on the rear wheels nothing wheels are locked up.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:15 AM
cemeb4dk

Fixxed It.....

I had to look at it tonight it was killin me.

Somehow a rock got under my rear skid gaurd and jammed into my rear differential and froze it up. As soon as i took the skid plate off the rock fell out and the wheels spin.

I lost a day of bashing because i didn't want ot take truck apart in the field. oh well. But i never thought a rock and it was pretty big could get uo there, and as a savage owner I have come to expect the worst. at least no trips to the hobby store needed this time.

Thanks....
Old 06-16-2003, 10:08 PM
maxxdaddy74

What do you mean "as a Savage owner I have come to expect the worst." ? What other serious problems have you experienced with the Savage and what are you doing with it to cause them? My daughter is not the greatest driver and she only know s one speed and its WOT and no problems yet. She loves to floor it on jumps which I thought for sure would cost a diff or two by now but not yet.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:10 AM
cemeb4dk

Well the major thing is the engine didn't even last a gallon, so I had to rebuild it. Steering servo broke the gear during break in circles. Back plate on engine backed off while riding. Factory never had any loctite on hex nuts.

Today just got it running put a 3 shoe clutch and 16t bell on and an rb pipe and while retunning it the pull starter breaks. I know its the hobby, But I jut got putting the thing back to gether loctite everything down a some ful init and the pull starter breaks, so now i have to drain the fuel take the engine out , replace pull starter and then put it back together and hopefully nothing else breaks.

I love this hobby and my savage, just guess i had to vent because last weekend was the first time in a month in running(thanks to back orders) all excited and then i thought it broke again
Old 06-17-2003, 06:22 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

how is your rd pipe cemeb4 did u install it already?
Old 06-17-2003, 09:07 PM
cemeb4dk

It sounds great and noticed a little better performance i wa still tunning it and my pullstarter broke.

But thanks again for the photo's it was a great help....
Old 06-18-2003, 05:09 AM
badboy2

my pullstart broke too actually i loose 1 screw and i cant run it cuz a thin smoke is comin out of the backplate..and i am waiting for the screws to come this weekend cuz bith my lhs dont have it..just 1 screw got me screwed all week..lol
Old 06-18-2003, 10:08 PM
cemeb4dk

you have to ove this hobby. I put the new pullstart in last night got it started went to start to tune and my hump pack died, so i had to charge it and today its raining....
Old 06-19-2003, 06:04 AM
badboy2

and i bought the savage to run it while my crusher is waiting for a new engine now theyre both useless..al u can think off is spending a lot of money for hop ups...my wife could be cursing at me by now..
Old 06-19-2003, 11:57 PM
WolfX

badboy2: Don't feel bad - the washers on the fuel line fitting of my Savage practically crumbled to dust and I've had it around a month or so now. HPI never returned my emails to them asking how to order them off their site ($4 part, guess it wasn't in stock as everything there had a "buy this" button *except* the washers I needed - but I didn't even get so much as an automated response from HPI on the matter). $4 flimsy washers kept my Savage sitting here for about a week and a half. Finally got tired of waiting on HPI, so I went to the local auto parts store, bought a sheet roll of gasket material and cut my own set out. Worked like a champ. (moral: sometimes rigging something yourself is just fine). Ironically the DAY I fixed the fuel line fitting problem, I took it out, ran it through 2 tanks and the pull start crapped out on me =/ Rotostart is on order, grrrr.... hehe

And the day the rotostart comes in it's supposed to rain here Go figure!
Old 06-20-2003, 05:12 AM
badboy2

if its gonna come this weekend yeah you end inside the house we got a lot of rain and they are calling for rain again
Old 06-21-2003, 12:59 AM
cemeb4dk

finally got it running runs great with the pipe and mugen 3 shoe clutch. and just ordered the .26 frpm nitrohouse can wait to drop that bad boy in....
Old 06-21-2003, 04:55 AM
badboy2

what does the clutch do anyway does it add speed?
Old 06-21-2003, 01:07 PM
cemeb4dk

woth all the additions its hard to tell, But I believe there to be a better low end and a much better high end...

the difference between the 2 shoe (stock) and the 3 shoe is that you have move surface area spining your clutch bell, and i went with a 16 t bell to add better high end.

It really moves no but now i have to redjust my second gear shift point, it is shifting to early now with the different cluch..
Old 06-22-2003, 12:33 AM
WolfX

Well just got the rotostart in and installed - took it out and I'm wishing I'd ordered this thing when I ordered the truck now and installed it just after break in No more busted knuckles

cemeb4dk: been thinking about working over the clutch on mine actually but haven't researched it out yet. Are you preferring the 3 shoe over the 2 at this point?
Old 06-22-2003, 02:36 AM
cemeb4dk

yes the 3 shoe is what everyone that upgrades is running.

i bought mine from acehardwarehobbies.com

it cost like 58.00 shipped, and this is what i ordered...

1- mugen 3 shoe clutch and flywheel kit. it was like 28.00
1- ofna 16t clutch bell like 16.00
1 - mugen clutch nut like 6 bucks

and it is a direct fit, also you may want to get the ofna clutch shim kit (this includes different wahers and bolts and shims that you may need to fine tune clutch position. I didn't use it on the stock engine but when i get my .26 probably will need, and it was like 5 bucks so better than having to make an extra trip to the lhs