Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

savage XL or Tmaxx 3.3(4908)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 AM
richardtf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage XL or Tmaxx 3.3(4908)

a friend of mine is making me an offer to trade his tmaxx 3.3(4908) tomy savage XL we both got or truck last month....what could be the best solution? trade or not?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM
illeegal1
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: savage XL or Tmaxx 3.3(4908)

IMO I wouldn't. You would be going from a truck known for bashing to a truck known for breaking. my .02

Old 06-22-2009, 11:55 AM
derrick05

The Savage is more durable.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Doctp1885

Agreed. Savage is a great basher and very durable.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:08 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to be the most hated member in RCU, but IMO, I would never own a Savage. Stick with the T-Maxx. I currently own a Losi XXL. And if I were to get rid of my truck, I'd go back to the T-Maxx, 4908. I've had good luck with all my T-maxx's. I guess it's all about preference. The hop-ups are endless with Traxxas trucks. I would stick with what I'm familiar with. If you think you'd be having more fun with the Savage, go ahead. If your in doubt, don't do it, it may cause negative feelings towards your friend. Don't foget wear-n-tear. Eventually things are going to wear and need replaced. How easily are the Savage parts able to get? Arte they on a parts tree or come single? Is bigger more expensive? Is the Savage easier to work on? Something to think about! Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45078.jpg
Views:	2296
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	1222703  
Old 06-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Doctp1885

Big,

I dont think you're gonna be the most hated person in RCU everyone has their preferences. Each truck has their pros and cons. I'm just speaking from experience and physically observing when I go in my LHS, there is at least 2 tmaxx truck sitting on the shelf to be worked on or when I'm just looking around, I would see someone come into the store with a busted tmaxx. Believe me, I look to see if there is a Savage as well on the shelf to be worked on, but the times I go in there (At least once a week for the past 4 mos) I just havent seen a Savage perched. Maybe it's because hobbytown USA really pushes Traxxas. Dunno. I would also chat with some bashers in the store and some would have tmaxx and Savage, and they would comment they bash more with their savage than they do with tmaxx. Both trucks are great in their own right. I chose the Savage becuase I came from a 1/10 truck and every time I took it out, I had a 50/50 shot it would make through one tank without something missing or breaking. I beat the living crap out of the Savage and not one Piece has broken on me. I'm sure it'll eventually happen, I just feel more confident with it. By Bro has a Revo and he's having to replace arms every 3 rides or so. Granted, he sucks bashing and doesnt have a clue.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:51 AM
barney 5
My Feedback: (231)

i would have to agree with the rest of the guys, keep your savage! and that one guy talked about parts, there are just as many savage parts out there as there are t raxxisparts. you will be driving that savage longer than the traxxis, they sell so many parts for those traxxis's for a reason, its not rocket science so enjoy your dtx for a long time!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 AM
rcnitrohead

Agreed with the 95% of the people above me who say keep the Savage. I've had both and guess what? The Savage is still here...
Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Xtfreak

I'm going to be the most hated member in RCU, but IMO, I would never own a Savage. Stick with the T-Maxx. I currently own a Losi XXL. And if I were to get rid of my truck, I'd go back to the T-Maxx, 4908. I've had good luck with all my T-maxx's. I guess it's all about preference. The hop-ups are endless with Traxxas trucks. I would stick with what I'm familiar with. If you think you'd be having more fun with the Savage, go ahead. If your in doubt, don't do it, it may cause negative feelings towards your friend. Don't foget wear-n-tear. Eventually things are going to wear and need replaced. How easily are the Savage parts able to get? Arte they on a parts tree or come single? Is bigger more expensive? Is the Savage easier to work on? Something to think about! Good Luck!
Yes yes! I agree with you. Get the T-maxx
Old 06-30-2009, 10:24 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: Doctp1885

Big,

I dont think you're gonna be the most hated person in RCU everyone has their preferences. Each truck has their pros and cons. I'm just speaking from experience and physically observing when I go in my LHS, there is at least 2 tmaxx truck sitting on the shelf to be worked on or when I'm just looking around, I would see someone come into the store with a busted tmaxx.
Well, there are WAY more t-maxxes out there than savages, its all about the # sold. If you sell 5 t-maxxs; for every savage sold, odds are you are going to get more t-maxx's in for repair, right?... Add to that a complete newbie is more likley to get a t-maxx than a savage, and a newbie driver is more likley to break something....

Ive had great luck with my t-maxx's, but then i don't go running them into curbs and trees....

If you want an easy to work on truck, get an lst/2 series truck.... Getting the diffs out is a 2 min job, and you don't have to dissamble half the truck like you do a t-maxx Not sure how easy it is to get to stuff on a savage, but looking at the design, i doubt its any easier than a t-maxx....
Old 07-01-2009, 12:39 AM
IloveMYxt2

Stick with the Savage. The T-Maxx isnt that easy to work on anyways, probably the same as the Savage. I will be honest and say I cant stand T or E-maxx. Horrible diffs, and garbage in my OWN opinion.

My buddies have both so I am speaking from experience and not what some 12 year old on RCuniverse said.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Airbus 9e

Keep the Savage....

Mine got converted to an E-Maxx.....and now it's back to being broken.....again.....while I drive my Aftershock...
Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Every time my savage has met my bro's t max head on he has broken parts and mine drives off un damaged.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:00 PM
robwiljas

I didn't like my first Pro .15 T-Maxx at all once I converted it to a 3.3, but I love my new 4908 T-Maxx 3.3. I like it a lot more than my Losi 1/8th Raminator (basically an Aftershock). I haven't owned a Savage but I have driven one and worked on it and I'm not a fan. Basically it all comes down to personal preference though.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM
T-MAXXRich
My Feedback: (1)

Well why dont yall drive each others trucks when yall go out so you can make your decision. I i have driven both trucks out here in iraq and have come to the conclusion that the savage is a little bit harder to work on in my opinion. Each truck has its faults just like any other kind of vehicle. I like my Maxx and as for the diff answer just through some 1/8th diffs in it real easy to do and you dont have to buy new bulk heads that cost an arm and a leg. I have losi diff's in mine and have not had a problem with them yet. But like i said before you should use each others trucks when out on a bash session and see if you like the truck or not.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:28 PM
del1969

ORIGINAL: dacaur

ORIGINAL: Doctp1885

Big,

I dont think you're gonna be the most hated person in RCU everyone has their preferences. Each truck has their pros and cons. I'm just speaking from experience and physically observing when I go in my LHS, there is at least 2 tmaxx truck sitting on the shelf to be worked on or when I'm just looking around, I would see someone come into the store with a busted tmaxx.
Well, there are WAY more t-maxxes out there than savages, its all about the # sold. If you sell 5 t-maxxs; for every savage sold, odds are you are going to get more t-maxx's in for repair, right?... Add to that a complete newbie is more likley to get a t-maxx than a savage, and a newbie driver is more likley to break something....

Ive had great luck with my t-maxx's, but then i don't go running them into curbs and trees....

If you want an easy to work on truck, get an lst/2 series truck.... Getting the diffs out is a 2 min job, and you don't have to dissamble half the truck like you do a t-maxx Not sure how easy it is to get to stuff on a savage, but looking at the design, i doubt its any easier than a t-maxx....
You are right about the more tmaxxs are sold, but that is because noobs walk into a hobby shop or flip thru a mag,
and all you see are traxxas ads. You hardley ever see a savage ad.

The savave is very easy to work on, more so than any other truck.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:35 PM
dacaur

I see just as many savage adds as t-maxx adds these days. You see WAY less t-maxx adds than you did 5-8 years ago.

And LOL about the savage being easier to work on than any other truck. The whole TVP setup is, by design, a little more complicated to work on. On my LST XXL (and any lst/2based truck) you can have the front or rear diff out in under 2 min, get the clutch off of inspection/maintenance in under 30 seconds, get the two speed out in another 30 seconds, access any of the servos is a quick affair, and you can have the engine out of the truck as fast as you can undo 4 screws.... You don't have stuff stacked on top of one another like the savage.....
Old 07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I like how people that dont even have a savage bash on how hard it is to work on based on Theory. If were going to talk theory's then the savage is 2x as strong due to the fact that it has 2 TVP on edge. Just like a 2x4 is is stronger set on its edge vs. laying flat.

The savage is just as quick. 6 scews and the diff is out. 7 screws and the transmission gear shafts are out.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take a Savage over a Maxx any day.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Savage_Dias

There's a reason your buddy is willing to give up his Maxx for your Savage. I was jokingly offered the same trade & I still have my Savage. Do what you want but I wouldn't trade my Savage for 2 Maxxes of any flavor.